Jeremiah was a prophet of God, a man of God who loved the Lord and whose life was committed to the service of the Lord, to going to the people, and to saying to the people whatever God commanded him to say. But he was also human, like we are, and he did experience a great deal of flack (assault) and persecution from the people, so there were times when he got disheartened and discouraged. And this was one of those times. And this is what he said:
Jeremiah 15:10,18 BSB (Berean Standard Bible)
“10Woe to me, my mother,
that you have borne me,
a man of strife and conflict
in all the land.
I have neither lent nor borrowed,
yet everyone curses me.”
And to God He said:
“18Why is my pain unending,
and my wound incurable,
refusing to be healed?
You have indeed become like a mirage to me—
water that is not there.”
Have you ever felt or expressed anything like that yourself
during a time of being persecuted for righteousness’ sake? I have. I once went
through this period of time when I kept getting knocked down (not physically,
but mentally, emotionally) and treated with disdain, lied about, falsely
accused of what I did not do or of attitudes I did not have, usually by others
who did not even know me, but who made false judgments of me anyway, from very
surface level evaluations or based on things they had been taught wrongly.
And I was not claiming that I was perfect in every respect,
but that their accusations of me were lies, unfair, unjust, unkind, and without
cause. And usually they were judging me by their own selves, by their own
thoughts and personalities and ways of thinking, but not according to the
Scriptures, and not according to the truth. And I did feel like I was drowning
or like I was a basketball being slam dunked in the net over and over again. And
I am most certain that I did cry out to God in my distress at those times.
I cannot recall exactly what the Lord said to me in every
instance, but I am most certain that He was preparing me for “such a time as
this” when He would call me to write down what I was learning from Him during
my times spent daily with Him daily in His word, and to post these writings on
the internet, so that “a herald may run with it,” “Run With It” then becoming
the name of my blogs. All of this was in preparation to get me ready for what
God had planned for my life that I didn’t yet know about, but I do now.
But this was God’s response to Jeremiah in his time of
distress:
Jeremiah 15:19-21 BSB (Berean Standard Bible)
Therefore this is what the LORD says:
“If you return, I will restore you;
you will stand in My presence.
And if you speak words that are noble instead of worthless,
you will be My spokesman.
It is they who must turn to you,
but you must not turn to them.
20Then I will make you a wall to this people,
a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you
but will not overcome you,
for I am with you to save and deliver you,
declares the LORD.
21I will deliver you from the hand of the wicked
and redeem you from the grasp of the ruthless.”
Now, if we read through the whole chapter, we will see that
Jeremiah was not turning away from the Lord, but that he was lamenting his own
suffering. He was discouraged. He was disheartened. And his strength was
failing him. So he needed to return to fully putting his trust in the Lord, resting
in Him, believing that God had called him to this ministry, and for a good
purpose, and that God would give him all that he needed to do the will of God
despite being mistreated and persecuted for righteousness’ sake.
And God may be now speaking to some of us who are serving
Him with our lives who are feeling disheartened, and in order to encourage us
to keep the faith, to stand strong, and to keep going in the strength of the
Lord, even when things look hopeless. For believe me when I tell you that
speaking the words of God from the Scriptures, in their correct biblical
context, at a time when so many are teaching lies, and when so many are believing
the lies, will not normally gain you popularity. You may rather be largely
ignored.
No matter how we are treated by others, we are to obey God’s
callings on our individual lives. And all of us who are of faith in Jesus
Christ are to be the Lord’s servants and messengers in taking the true gospel
message to the people of the world. We must not compromise the truth of the
gospel just so that people will like us. But we must keep speaking the truth
even if most of them hate us or just don’t like us or they just ignore us. For
this is about the salvation of human lives out from slavery to sin so that they
will now obey God with their lives and have salvation from sin and eternal life
with God.
[Matthew 7:13-14,21-23; Luke 9:23-26; John 10:27-30; Acts
26:18; Romans 1:18-32; Romans 2:5-10; Romans 3:23; Romans 6:1-23; Romans
8:1-14; Romans 12:1-2; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10,19-20; 1
Corinthians 10:1-22; 2 Corinthians 5:10,15,21; Galatians
5:16-24; Ephesians 2:8-10; Ephesians 4:17-32; Ephesians 5:3-6; Titus 2:11-14;
Hebrews 3:1-19; Hebrews 4:1-13; Hebrews 10:19-39; Hebrews 12:1-2; 1 Peter 2:24;
1 John 1:1-10; 1 John 2:1-6; 1 John 3:4-10; Revelation 2:1-29; Revelation
3:1-22]
Disheartened and Discouraged
An Original Work / August 18,
2026
Christ’s Free
Servant, Sue J Love
My Prayer
An Original Work / May 30, 2011
Christ’s Free Servant, Sue J Love
“Fill me with Your
Spirit; help me to love others;
Let me know Your
power; be an overcomer.
Show me how to
follow Jesus Christ, my Savior;
Be His faithful
servant to obey Him always.
“Lead me with Your
presence; help me know the right way;
Teach me love and
kindness, generous compassion.
Give me grace and
courage to be Jesus’ witness,
Teaching His
salvation to a world who needs Him.”
Won’t you come and
follow Jesus Christ, your Savior?
He died so you’d be
free of control of your sin;
Free to follow His
ways in complete surrender;
Living sacrifices –
let His grace transform you.

No comments:
Post a Comment