Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Saturday, July 6, 2024

Those Promoting Self-Made Religion

“Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God.


“If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— ‘Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch’ (referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.” (Colossians 2:16-23 ESV)


When we read the New Testament Scriptures which deal with this transition from the Old Covenant to the New Covenant, and the subject of freedom from the law, we must be careful to not interpret that as total freedom from having to obey the commands of God under the New Covenant, nor should we ignore the fact that Jesus set us free from those Old Covenant liturgical, ceremonial, sacrificial, purification, and dietary laws and restrictions, which included the law of (or requirement of) circumcision. 


Under the New Covenant we are not bound by those same liturgical and ceremonial laws and customs that the Jews were under. The only dietary restrictions we have are those we choose for ourselves or a doctor tells us we must follow if we want to live, and not die. Jesus Christ and our salvation are now our Sabbath rest, so we don’t have to rest on any particular day in the week, and we can worship God in spirit and in truth all day every day no matter where we are located. And physical circumcision is not required of us.


And this isn’t just about Old Covenant vs. New Covenant, but this has to do with any human-based religious rituals and legalistic requirements not required of God. For example the main teachings on what we wear in the Scriptures have more to do with propriety and morality than they do with style or comfort. We should dress in a way that is proper and not revealing parts of our bodies which are of a sexual nature. And if we pose for photos, they should not be sensual poses intended to stir up lust in anyone.


But the fact that Jesus set us free from legalistic requirements which have nothing to do with changed hearts and minds and spiritual walks of faith in our Lord Jesus and stopping the indulgences of the flesh, that does not translate to us not having to obey our Lord’s commandments to us under the New Covenant. We do! And love for others is agape love which prefers what God prefers, which is what is moral, upright, godly, and obedient to God.


“For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another. But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.” (Galatians 5:13-16 ESV)


And then the Galatians passage goes on to let us know that “the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those" doing (practicing) “such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21)


So, leaving our lives of sin behind us to now follow Jesus Christ in obedience to his commands in holy living is not legalism and it is not works salvation. It is us walking in the salvation that our Lord provided for us in his power and strength, by the grace of God, by God-provided and God-persuaded faith in our Lord Jesus. For Jesus Christ died to free us from our slavery to sin so that we will now obey him and his commandments and walk in holiness and in righteousness, in his power. Without it, we do not have eternal life.


[Matt 7:21-23; Lu 9:23-26; John 1:12-13; John 6:44; John 10:27-30; Acts 26:18; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14; Rom 12:1-2; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 1 Co 10:1-22; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; Gal 5:16-24; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:1-17; Titus 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; 1 Peter 1:15; 1 Pet 2:24; Heb 3:1-19; Heb 4:1-13; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]


Songs in the Night  


An Original Work / December 18, 2013


“About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.” Acts 16:25 NIV ‘84


Lord, I praise You forevermore.

You, my Savior, I now adore.

Hope in heaven awaiting me,

Because You died at Calvary.


I have been forgiven,

And I’m bound for heaven.

Jesus set me free from

All my sin, I say.

I will praise Him always!


Lord, I love You for all You’ve done:

Overcame death, my vict’ry won!

Jesus saved me, and now I’m free!

I rejoice in His love for me.


I will walk in vict’ry!

My sin is but hist’ry!

I am free to please Him

With my life today.

I will love Him always!


Lord, I thank You for giving me

A new life bought at Calvary.

Loving Jesus, I meet with Him.

Tender mercies now flow within.


Lord, I am so thankful;

Through my Lord, I’m able

To sit at His table;

Fellowship with Him.

I will thank Him always!


https://vimeo.com/379484387

No comments: