Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Some Among Us Walk in Idleness

“Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you. It was not because we do not have that right, but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate. For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.” (2 Thessalonians 3:6-12 ESV)


Evidently there were people in Thessalonica who professed faith in Jesus Christ who were lazy, idol, and slothful, who did not work to earn their own living, but who fed off of others and their generosity. We have people like that still today, even within the gatherings of the church, who are capable physically of holding down a job, but who take advantage of others and their kind hearts, and who use others to get what they want, sometimes to use the money not wisely, and sometimes to feed sinful addictions. Sadly so.


But then we have a different situation in our world today where we have such things as social security (NOT welfare) and retirement accounts which people work for many years and pay into these retirement packages so that when they get to be elderly that they can retire and not have to continue to work to earn money, though some still do because these retirement systems are not enough to pay all their bills. So they earned the money which is then paid out to them in increments when they retire. This is not wrong.


However, there are many Christians who get into their retirement years who then become lazy, idol, and slothful. They don’t have to work for money, for they already earned their living, but they have this idea that retirement means they can just do whatever they want, and so they sink into lifestyles of laziness to where they spend their days just entertaining themselves. But as Christians we are to be working for the Lord, and our lives are to be surrendered to him to do his will, so we should be busy about the Kingdom.


God did not call us to his service so that we would sit around just giving pleasure to ourselves. He called us with a holy calling, and we are to work for him in doing what he has called all of us to do. So we should be busy doing the work of the Lord in ministering to the people of God, and to the people of the world, and in sharing the message of the gospel of our salvation and whatever else the Lord has for us to do to show his love to other people and to spread his gospel throughout the world.


But there we need to be cautious, for many people get into ministries where they feed the hungry, which is a good thing, but it is not good if we are feeding those capable of earning a living who are idle and who are taking advantage of others while they feed their own fleshly appetites. And I believe that is the caution here. It is good to have compassion, but compassion can be misdirected sometimes. As the saying goes, sometimes we need to teach people how to fish instead of just supplying the fish.


And Paul and Silas and Timothy here set the example for us in how we ought to conduct our lives in so many different areas. We are not to be idle. We are not to take advantage of others. And I know that times are hard right now and some people are having difficulty finding jobs while I see lots of signs up in places of employment where they are looking to hire workers. But I think there is some crooked stuff going on there high up, so not everything is as it appears on a surface level. Just saying that some people can’t find work.


So we must be discerning people, for there are people everywhere asking for money. Especially, we must pray before giving money to any charitable organization, for they are not all on the up-and-up, and sometimes the money never gets to the people, or most of it goes to administration fees and very little gets to the people. Sadly there is so much deception these days that we must pray through everything, especially when it comes to contributing to what is being advertised as legitimate needs of others.


And if we have retirement money, and we don’t need to have a job to pay our bills, at least for now, then we should do volunteer work under the direction and leading of the Lord. Even if we are somewhat handicapped, as I am, we can still do something. I can’t do a whole lot physically, and even my brain is not as sharp as it was when I was a lot younger, but I am able to write, and so that is what God has called me to do. And he has something that he wants all of us to do, and it isn’t to just entertain ourselves.


[Matt 5:13-16; Matt 28:18-20; Jn 4:31-38; Jn 13:13-17; Jn 14:12; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:14-18; Acts 26:18; Rom 10:14-15; Rom 12:1-8; Rom 15:14; 1 Co 12:1-31; 1 Co 14:1-5; Gal 6:1; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:1-16; Eph 5:11-27; Eph 6:10-20; Php 2:1-8; Col 1:9; Col 3:12-16; Tit 2:11-14; Heb 3:13; Heb 10:23-25; Jas 5:19-20; 1 Pet 2:9,21; 1 Jn 2:6]  


Songs in the Night  


An Original Work / December 18, 2013


“About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.” Acts 16:25 NIV ‘84


Lord, I praise You forevermore.

You, my Savior, I now adore.

Hope in heaven awaiting me,

Because You died at Calvary.


I have been forgiven,

And I’m bound for heaven.

Jesus set me free from

All my sin, I say.

I will praise Him always!


Lord, I love You for all You’ve done:

Overcame death, my vict’ry won!

Jesus saved me, and now I’m free!

I rejoice in His love for me.


I will walk in vict’ry!

My sin is but hist’ry!

I am free to please Him

With my life today.

I will love Him always!


Lord, I thank You for giving me

A new life bought at Calvary.

Loving Jesus, I meet with Him.

Tender mercies now flow within.


Lord, I am so thankful;

Through my Lord, I’m able

To sit at His table;

Fellowship with Him.

I will thank Him always!


https://vimeo.com/379484387

No comments: