Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Thursday, May 18, 2023

I Tell Him My Troubles

Psalms 142:1-4 ESV

 

“With my voice I cry out to the Lord;

    with my voice I plead for mercy to the Lord.

I pour out my complaint before him;

    I tell my trouble before him.

When my spirit faints within me,

    you know my way!

In the path where I walk

    they have hidden a trap for me.

Look to the right and see:

    there is none who takes notice of me;

no refuge remains to me;

    no one cares for my soul.”

 

I don’t know if you have noticed this or not, but many of the Psalms of David are him crying out to the Lord because of his enemies and their evil schemes against him. The Apostle Paul centered on this subject quite frequently, too, letting his readers know of the persecutions that he was being faced with in their various forms, and from multiple different sources. And, of course, Jesus Christ was also hounded and mistreated when he walked the earth, and his enemies, too, laid traps for him hoping he would fall into them.

 

But I am not speaking here of physical traps, like holes in the ground. But Jesus’ enemies were always trying to trip him up with his words so that they would have cause to accuse him of wrongdoing. So these were more like tricks (cunning schemes) which today may be termed “gaslighting.” So, they would set up a situation hoping that Jesus would fall prey to their trap. And even Jesus’ own brothers were against him and mocked him, and his own family members thought he was crazy and they wanted to put him away.

 

So, just because you follow the Lord Jesus Christ with your lives, and you live holy and godly lives, in service to your Lord, it doesn’t mean you are going to be well admired and well liked. You may be very much hated and despised and disdained, and you may be facing similar persecutions as did David, and Paul, and Jesus Christ. And you may be very familiar with these cunning and deceptive traps the enemy loves to lay for his opponents. And so you have to be on guard against these so that you don’t fall into them.

 

You may also face much rejection, and it may feel, at times, as though you are absolutely alone, except for the Lord. Friends and family members and others who profess faith in Jesus Christ and even pastors will turn against you and do evil against you. And they may betray you and “stab you in the back” and do hurtful things to you even while acting as though all is well when they see you face to face. For Jesus told us that if we follow him that we will be treated as he was treated, so we should expect this.

 

Psalms 142:5-7 ESV

 

“I cry to you, O Lord;

    I say, ‘You are my refuge,

    my portion in the land of the living.’

Attend to my cry,

    for I am brought very low!

Deliver me from my persecutors,

    for they are too strong for me!

Bring me out of prison,

    that I may give thanks to your name!

The righteous will surround me,

    for you will deal bountifully with me.”

 

But our comfort in all of this is that we are not alone. Jesus Christ is with us and his Spirit is living within us if our lives are surrendered to him. And he is there for us when other humans are not, and when they are against us. Our comfort is also in knowing that our suffering serves a purpose, both in our own lives and in the lives of the people who we touch by our lives. God has a reason for it all, and good will come out of it, even if now it is painful and it doesn’t feel so good, and even if we can’t make sense of it all.

 

So, in our suffering we can pray and ask the Lord for his comfort, for his help, and for his guidance and wisdom and discernment. We especially need that when others are using cunning and crafty scheming against us and when they are laying traps for us to fall into. We can take refuge in him in knowing that he is looking out for us and that he truly has our best in mind. Although he may not physically deliver us from persecution, he will deliver us within our hearts and minds from the effects of that persecution on our lives.

 

Hear my Voice

 

An Original Work / July 9, 2012

Based off Psalm 27

 

The Lord is my great salvation.

He’s the stronghold of my life.

When my enemies attack me,

My heart will not fear at all.

Though a war break out against me,

Confident in Christ I’ll be.

Of the Lord, I ask that I may

Live with Him eternally.

 

Hear my voice, Lord, when I call you.

Merciful to me You’ll be.

Though my relatives forsake me,

My Lord God will receive me.

Teach me Your way, O my Jesus.

Lead me in Your righteousness.

I will sacrifice to my Lord.

I will sing with joyfulness.

 

I am confident that I will

See the goodness of the Lord.

All the richness of His blessings,

My Lord has for me in store.

He asks me to be of courage;

To be strong and to take heart,

Patiently as I wait for Him,

And from Him to ne’er depart.

 

https://vimeo.com/119813963

No comments: