Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Crazy for Jesus

The Church Under Fire

 

Chapter Six

 

Crazy for Jesus

 

May 27, 2023

 

Acts 26:24-29 ESV

 

And as he was saying these things in his defense, Festus said with a loud voice, “Paul, you are out of your mind; your great learning is driving you out of your mind.” But Paul said, “I am not out of my mind, most excellent Festus, but I am speaking true and rational words. For the king knows about these things, and to him I speak boldly. For I am persuaded that none of these things has escaped his notice, for this has not been done in a corner. King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that you believe.” And Agrippa said to Paul, “In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?” And Paul said, “Whether short or long, I would to God that not only you but also all who hear me this day might become such as I am—except for these chains.”

 

When we follow Jesus Christ with our lives, and we do what he has called us to do, as his followers, we are going to be called all sorts of names, and “crazy” may be one of them. For even many professing Christians and even some pastors and elders of church congregations will find us odd and peculiar if we actually take the word of God seriously and we put it into daily practice. For it appears not many people do these days.

 

But it isn’t just “these days” I was recalling as I recorded the video to go along with this. For I recalled when I was a youth that our youth leader told us that we are to pray for the missionaries. And then he added, “But none of us do.” And so I shyly raised my hand and I said, “I do.” For, you see, I was one of those children and youth who took God seriously. And if I was told that I was to pray for the missionaries, that is what I did.

 

Now I was not a perfect child, but I also was not a willfully rebellious and defiant child, either. I don’t believe I ever thought of talking back to my parents and I rarely disobeyed them, partly because my father was an abuser, and I feared him greatly. But also because it was wrong, and it would be treating them badly. But that doesn’t mean that I did everything right, either. But generally speaking I was a rule follower, and I took God and his word seriously, and I wanted to obey the Lord.

 

When I was in college and I was in our college youth group from my local church fellowship, we gathered together at someone’s home some Sunday nights after the evening service, and we had a devotion of some kind and some snacks. And I recall many of them were buying into the whole thing of evolution, and they were questioning, to some extent, the story of creation as it is told us in the Scriptures. And I thought that was just wrong, and so I was regarded as odd. I just didn’t fit in with most people my age.

 

But the Scriptures teach that we are to be God’s holy people, and that we are to be holy in all our conduct. And to be holy is to be different from the world because we are being conformed to the likeness of Jesus Christ. But if we are different, we are regarded as odd, peculiar, religious fanatics, crazy, antiquated and as dinosaurs, i.e. as “a person or thing that is outdated or has become obsolete because of failure to adapt to changing circumstances” (Oxford Languages).

 

But I think of it this way. Jesus’ family members thought he was crazy, and they wanted to put him away, for he was probably an embarrassment to them. I know Paul was called “crazy” (out of his mind), and so was Jeremiah, I am fairly certain, as probably were some of the other prophets and apostles in the Bible times. So, if they call us crazy, well we are then in good company – the company of Jesus, Paul, Jeremiah and the others who served the Lord faithfully and who did what God said.

 

The other comfort I find in this is that I know I am speaking the truth of God’s Word, not that I am saying I have everything down perfectly, but that I am a diligent student of the Scriptures who works hard to make certain that I am sharing the truth and not the lies. And I am one who is walking in obedience to the Lord Jesus and who is doing what he called me to do. So, if they call me names, it is okay, for I know that what I am sharing is what is necessary to people’s faith, salvation, and eternal life with God. And so I am at peace. And if people find me odd, well then, praise the Lord!

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fEgpj9PIdk

Caution: This link may contain ads

 

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

 

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897

Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897

 

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,

This is my constant longing and prayer;

Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,

Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

 

Oh, to be like Thee! full of compassion,

Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,

Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,

Seeking the wandering sinner to find.

 

O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,

Holy and harmless, patient and brave;

Meekly enduring cruel reproaches,

Willing to suffer others to save.

 

O to be like Thee! while I am pleading,

Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love;

Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling,

Fit me for life and Heaven above.

 

Oh, to be like Thee! Oh, to be like Thee,

Blessèd Redeemer, pure as Thou art;

Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;

Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrYhiK2nQBg

Caution: This link may contain ads

No comments: