Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Monday, December 6, 2021

God Chooses not as Man Chooses

1 Corinthians 1:26-31 ESV

 

“For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, ‘Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.’”

 

Not Wise by Human Standards

 

When I consider my calling, I can attest to the fact that this is absolutely true. I was always a slow reader. My reading comprehension level was low. I graduated high school with a 1.4 GPA (D-). I began college reading on a 4th grade level. I finally took a special reading class and I got up to 7th grade level. But there are still things I have difficulty comprehending, and I am still a very slow reader even at the age of almost 72 (in a few weeks).

 

I was abused by my father and emotionally neglected by my mother. I lacked much confidence except in the area of music. If something was too difficult for me to understand I didn’t bother with it. I didn’t understand politics at all so I just voted a straight party ticket according to the party my parents voted for. I had no motivation to learn anything too difficult.

 

Now, I did believe in Jesus at the age of around 7 years of age, but I was brought up reading the King James Bible, and to me it was like reading Shakespeare. So, I read my Bible but I didn’t get much out of it until our pastor recommended the NASB version, and then the Scriptures came alive to me. But even that version was a bit over my reading grade level.

 

Other than the Scriptures, I wasn’t really motivated to learn much else unless there was a practical reason to learn it. I tended to follow whatever I was taught in church, and I was taught to pledge allegiance (vow fidelity) to my government with hand over heart, and to sing patriotic songs, and to believe our nation were the “good guys” of the world.

 

A Calling to be like a Jeremiah

 

I knew early on, though, that God was calling me to be like a Jeremiah, not that I claim to be a prophet, I don’t, but that I knew the Lord was calling me to say whatever he gave me to say to whomever he gave me to say it and that I was not to be afraid of them fighting against me, for the Lord was with me and he would help me and he would give me the words to say.

 

But boy was that ever put to the test. As the Holy Spirit began to teach me biblical truths through his word, things that I would never be able to grasp in my own flesh, and as I began to share these things during group Bible studies, under the authority of the leaders, and only as given permission to speak, I began to face opposition and rejection and criticism.

 

Over my lifetime I have faced a lot of persecution and rejection and mistreatment because of my walk of faith and because of my stand on the truth of God’s word at a time when the truth was coming under fire and people were beginning to dilute the gospel to make it less offensive. And much of this mistreatment was totally unjust and uncalled for.

 

It would seem that every time I would step out in faith to obey the Lord that there was always someone there to “slam dunk” me like I was a basketball. And I would get disheartened and discouraged because some of these people were in positions of spiritual leadership over me. But I wasn’t doing anything wrong. I was submitting to the leadership. I did not speak unless I was called on to speak, but I just didn’t fit with their way of thinking.

 

So, sometimes I would retreat, and then the Lord would encourage me to get back in there and so I would only to get “slam dunked” again. And then I began to question God’s calling on my life, and I cried out to him frequently and would say to him, “God, why did you make me like this?” I wondered why God would gift me this way and then not provide a way for me to use the gifts he had given me, but I soon learned he was preparing me.

 

Back to School

 

At the age of 52 the Lord led me to go back to college and to take some business classes in order to get an entrepreneur certificate. I was concerned I would not even pass the entrance exam, but I did, by the grace of God. I began with just one class, an Accounting class. And boy did I struggle. If something was too difficult, my brain just automatically shut down.

 

So, as I tried learning Accounting I would literally sit on the floor with the textbook in front of me and just weep. “I can’t do this!” I would say. And then the Lord would encourage me that I could, and I had a few family members, too, who were encouraging me that I could. So, I gave it over to the Lord and I trusted him and he helped me to learn.

 

I continued to struggle the same way for the next few classes I took, crying, praying, saying “I can’t do this,” and then ultimately surrendering it to the Lord, and he again taught me what I needed to learn. And to make a long story short, after 4 years at this school (part-time) I finally got my entrepreneur certificate along with a 4.0 GPA (straight A’s). Glory to God!

 

Now, I am not telling this story to brag, but what I am saying is that I was not wise (smart) by human standards. I was not powerful or influential or well-liked (popular). I definitely was not of noble birth. We were dirt poor most of my growing up years. I was foolish in the eyes of the world. I was weak and low and despised in the world. But God still called me.

 

So, why did the Lord see to it that I learned well enough to get straight A’s? I believe it was to teach me that I could learn, for I had a mental block against learning most things other than the Scriptures. And why was this important? Because of what he called me to do I had to do a ton of reading of articles on a vast array of subjects that I knew nothing about and I would normally be terrified to even approach such things. But at college I learned that I could learn and that I didn’t need to fear things over my head.

 

But God Chose Me

 

So, the Lord called me, not because of my book smarts, and not because of my popularity, and not because I knew all the right things to say to all the right people, because I had none of that. He didn’t choose me because I had great biblical training or knowledge, either, for I didn’t. He took a woman who lacked confidence who was beaten down and thought she couldn’t learn much of anything and he chose her to do what she is now doing.

 

Seventeen years ago the Lord called me to this present ministry to write down what he teaches me from his Word each day and to put it on the internet. Now, it wasn’t daily until June of 2006, and it wasn’t even every day until December of that year, I think. And I had no prior experience in doing anything like this, but I trusted him, and I submitted to him, and I wrote what he gave me to write and I put it on the internet.

 

And I know that the Lord has been using me in the ways that this passage talks about, not because of my own abilities, but because of God’s calling, and only in his strength and wisdom. I don’t even know what I am going to write until I sit down to write and then he leads me in what to say. Sometimes I just stare at the computer and I say, “Lord, I have no clue where to begin,” and then the words just flow from the Spirit.

 

So, I know that all of this that is good is from God and not from myself. I know that better than anyone, for I know my own limitations. And this is why I always give glory to God because I didn’t do it, not in my flesh. I just yield to the Holy Spirit’s control and I write what I believe the Lord Jesus is leading me to write and then I put it on the internet and he takes these writings where he wants them to go, and I do know that they are going to people in many different nations throughout the world.

 

And I trust that the Lord is getting these to the people he wants to read them and that he will use them in the way that he intends. My job is just to listen to him and to write what I believe he is saying to me through his word and then all I do is post it on the internet. And that’s why God gets the glory when anyone is touched in any way by what he has me write.

 

Only Hope

 

By Jonathan Foreman

 

I give you my destiny

I'm giving you all of me

I want your symphony

Singing in all that I am

At the top of my lungs

I'm giving it my all

 

So, I lay my head back down

And I lift my hands and pray

To be only yours I pray

To be only yours I pray

To be only yours

I know now you're my only hope

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gnS7ZEbEqU

Caution: This link may contain ads

No comments: