Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Friday, April 29, 2011

I Wept and Wept

Friday, April 29, 2011, 7:33 a.m. – When I woke this morning, the song, When I’m With You, was playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Revelation 4-5 (quoting chapter 5):

The Scroll and the Lamb
1 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” 3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

6 Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. 7 He came and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. 8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9 And they sang a new song:

“You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased men for God
from every tribe and language and people and nation.
10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth.”

11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they sang:

“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!”

13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing:

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!”

14 The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.

Introduction: This scroll appears to contain the judgments of God in the last days before Christ’s return, because in chapter 6, as each seal is opened, judgment ensues. As well, the scroll encompasses declarations of Christ’s inheritance and that of his saints who will one day reign with him on the earth. The scroll also seems to reveal how the end of all things will take place, including the judgment for the world and the final victory crown for all the saints of Almighty God. [Ref: Zondervan NIV Bible Commentary]

When the seals are opened, what we have largely theorized about up until now concerning the reality of how all these things will actually take place, with our own eyes we will see exactly how these prophecies are fulfilled. Opening the seals, thus, means that the mystery of God contained within them is revealed and is accomplished, just as He had declared previously through the prophets. The seals hide the mystery contained within of how God’s judgment and his kingdom will come on the earth. And, only Christ is worthy and can open the scroll and to reveal its contents within. [Ref: Zondervan NIV Bible Commentary]

My Understanding: I was feeling in awe of God as I read this account of this scroll with the seven seals and of John’s vision of the angel calling for someone worthy to break the seals and to open the scroll, and of John seeing that no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or to look inside. John wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or to look inside. For the first time ever reading this, as far as I can recall, I wept with John. I all of a sudden felt what he must have felt like to realize there was no one worthy to break the seals and to open the scroll. There was such a feeling of hopelessness contained within this description of no one found worthy. Yet, it didn’t end in hopelessness. One of the elders told John not to weep, because Jesus Christ had triumphed.

Jesus Christ was the perfect Lamb sacrifice for our sins. He is God the Son, yet he left his throne in heaven, seated next to the Father, and he came to earth, became a man, took upon himself human flesh, was tempted as we are tempted, yet without sin, and suffered like we suffer. Then he died on the cross for our sins, taking upon himself all our sins. Our sins were thus crucified with him on the cross and were buried with him in the grave. Yet, he triumphed over death, hell, Satan and sin through his death on the cross for our sins and through his resurrection in which he rose victoriously from the grave so that we could free. Because of his blood sacrifice for our sins and his triumph over death and sin, he is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.

As I thought about what made John weep and the ultimate assurance that came to him from the angel concerning Jesus Christ, I could not help but think about what makes me weep and how Jesus Christ, because of what he did for us on the cross, is able to accomplish whatever in my life leads me to weep, to cry out to God, and to plead with him for mercy, grace and healing. I think the thing that makes me weep most is to see those I love not know Jesus Christ and to not know his saving grace, as well as to see those I love who claim to know Christ live as though they do not, i.e. to see them still bound by sin and walking in the flesh, instead of walking in faith and obedience to Jesus Christ. I weep for them because I know that their only true peace, joy and victory in this present life is found in true relationship and fellowship with Jesus Christ. And, I know that their only hope for breaking the chains of sin over their lives is found in the One who is worthy, because he died for our sins. As well, I know that their only true sense of fulfillment of their life purpose is to be found in obedience to Jesus Christ and to His will for their lives.

Yet, there is hope, because Jesus has overcome! He is worthy! And, he can do what is necessary in the hearts of those I love to bring them to faith in Jesus Christ and/or to bring them back to their first love in true fellowship and obedience to Him. So, I entrust with my Lord all that brings me to tears, and I put my faith in Him to accomplish what only the One who is worthy is able to do in human hearts to break the bonds of sin and to open the book of life, God’s word, to their hearts so that he unveils its mystery to their hearts and they are able to learn at his feet and to obey what he teaches them and to love with His love.

When I’m With You / An Original Work / April 22, 2011

When I’m with You, Lord, hear my cries.
Soon I’ll be with You, by Your side.
Harken to me; Lord, hear my plea
When I’m with You and You’re with me

Precious Savior, Lord, and my friend,
Life with You has no final end.
I’ll reign with You eternally
When I’m with You and You’re with me.

Father, God, my only desire.
Your word is in me like a fire.
I’ll sing Your praise all of my days
When I’m with You and You’re with me.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B5aJQ42RLiUlOTNkZjk2NjItYzBlYi00NjFmLWE0OTUtOGI3MjE2MmFjNmFi&hl=en

No comments: