Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Sunday, June 23, 2024

A Voice Cries, "Make Straight the Way"

A voice cries:

“In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord;

    make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

Every valley shall be lifted up,

    and every mountain and hill be made low;

the uneven ground shall become level,

    and the rough places a plain.

And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,

    and all flesh shall see it together,

    for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.” (Isaiah 40:3-5 ESV)


This was a prophecy of the prophet Isaiah concerning John the Baptist who was to go before Jesus Christ to prepare the way for him in order that the people might receive him as their Lord and Messiah. So John the Baptist called for the people to repent of their sins, so the baptism with which he baptized them was a baptism of repentance, with water. 


John the Baptist speaking: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” “Bear fruit in keeping with repentance.” “I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” (Matthew 3:2,8,11 ESV)


“There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.” (John 1:6-8 ESV)


“So they said to him, ‘Who are you? We need to give an answer to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?’ He said, ‘I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, “Make straight the way of the Lord,” as the prophet Isaiah said.’” (John 1:22-23 ESV; cf. Matthew 3:1-3)


“The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, ‘Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, “After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.” I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel.’” (John 1:29-31 ESV)


Now, John the Baptist was the one called of God to prepare the way for the Lord, to make straight (upright, honest, moral, blameless) the way of the Lord. And we who believe in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives are also to make straight (godly, upright, morally pure) the way of the Lord Jesus when we share with others the truth of the gospel so that they can come to know him as their Lord and Savior. So we need to be those who are sharing the gospel, but the way that is righteous, upright, and godly.


[Matt 7:21-23; Lu 9:23-26; Jn 10:27-30; Acts 26:18; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 1 Co 15:1-11; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; Gal 5:16-24; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-11; 2 Tim 1:8-9; 2 Tim 2:10-13; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:1-6; 1 Jn 3:4-10]  


For Jesus said that if anyone would come after him, he must deny self, take up his cross daily (die daily to sin) and follow (obey) him. For if we hold on to our old lives of living in sin, we will lose them for eternity. But if for Jesus’ sake we deny self, die daily to sin, and follow him in obedience, in practice, then we are promised eternal life with God. For not everyone who calls him “Lord” will enter God’s heavenly kingdom, but only the ones DOING (obeying) the will of God the Father (Luke 9:23-26; Matthew 7:21-23).


And this is the way that is straight, upright, godly, and morally pure. We need to be those who are preparing the way of the Lord for the people to follow that is teaching righteousness and holiness and obedience to our Lord and which is not crooked, i.e. which is not giving them carte blanche to keep on in their sin without punishment. For Jesus Christ did not die on that cross just to forgive sins and to promise us heaven when we die. He died that we might die to sin and live to him and to his righteousness (1 Peter 2:24).


And now our lives are to be lived for the glory of God and not for ourselves. Now we are to honor God with our lives, and our hearts are to be surrendered to him, and we are to be his servants and witnesses. Now we belong to him, we are his possession, and he is our Lord and Master. He is our commanding officer and we are his soldiers in his spiritual army, and so we are to obey our Lord in going where he sends us and in doing and saying what he commands us to do and to say for his glory and honor.


Songs in the Night  


An Original Work / December 18, 2013


“About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.” Acts 16:25 NIV ‘84


Lord, I praise You forevermore.

You, my Savior, I now adore.

Hope in heaven awaiting me,

Because You died at Calvary.


I have been forgiven,

And I’m bound for heaven.

Jesus set me free from

All my sin, I say.

I will praise Him always!


Lord, I love You for all You’ve done:

Overcame death, my vict’ry won!

Jesus saved me, and now I’m free!

I rejoice in His love for me.


I will walk in vict’ry!

My sin is but hist’ry!

I am free to please Him

With my life today.

I will love Him always!


Lord, I thank You for giving me

A new life bought at Calvary.

Loving Jesus, I meet with Him.

Tender mercies now flow within.


Lord, I am so thankful;

Through my Lord, I’m able

To sit at His table;

Fellowship with Him.

I will thank Him always!


https://vimeo.com/379484387

No comments: