Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Friday, June 30, 2023

All Things Working for Good

Romans 8:18,26-30 ESV


“For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us… Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.”


As followers of Jesus Christ, we are called to share in the fellowship of Christ’s sufferings, becoming like him in his death. So, first we must deny self, then die daily to sin and to self, and follow our Lord in obedience. And when we do that we will suffer persecution for righteousness’ sake, especially if we are sharing the truth of the gospel at a time in our history when the truth is being exchanged for a lie, it seems by the majority.


And when we suffer for the sake of the name of Jesus and for the sake of his gospel of salvation, we may not know what to do or how to respond, and so the Holy Spirit, who is living within us, helps us. He gives us strength to endure and wisdom in knowing what to say and what to do, and he intercedes for us in prayer when we don’t know what to ask for or when we are at a loss for words. Many times in my life all I could say was “Help!”


Now, regardless of what all we are having to suffer for the sake of righteousness, and for the sake of the truth of the gospel, the Spirit intercedes for us according to the will of God. And so we who are following our Lord in obedience can be comforted in knowing that God is working all things together for our good. And “our good” is defined by God and not by us, for suffering is for our good, to grow us to maturity in our walks of faith.


And this is for us who have been called according to his purpose. So this promise is not for everyone who says, “Lord, Lord,” and who professes faith in Jesus Christ. This is for us who love (obey) our Lord and who are called and who are living, in practice, according to God’s will and purpose for our lives. And so even if things are not looking so good to us, at least on a surface level, we can be assured that God’s purpose will prevail.


For, as those whose lives are committed to Christ, to walking in his ways and in his truth, and who are obeying him, in practice, we are being conformed to the likeness of Jesus Christ through the things that we suffer. We are being made to be like Jesus in character, in thought, in word, and in deed. He is changing us and growing us up in him. And this is not just for our benefit, but for the benefit of others to whom he would have us minister.


Suffering and Ministry


[Matt 5:10-12; Matt 10:16-25; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 6:22-23; Lu 21:12-19; Jn 15:1-21; Jn 16:33; Jn 17:14; Ac 14:22; Rom 5:3-5; Phil 3:7-11; 1 Pet 1:6-7; 1 Pet 4:12-17; 2 Tim 3:12; 1 Thess 3:1-5; Jas 1:2-4; 2 Co 1:3-11; Heb 12:3-12; 1 Jn 3:13; Rev 6:9-11; Rev 7:9-17; Rev 11:1-3; Rev 12:17; Rev 13:1-18; Rev 14:1-13; Rom 12:1-8; Rom 15:14; 1 Co 12:1-31; Eph 4:1-16; Eph 5:17-27; Php 2:1-8; Col 3:16; Heb 3:13; Heb 10:23-25] 


Songs in the Night  


An Original Work / December 18, 2013


“About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.” Acts 16:25 NIV ‘84


Lord, I praise You forevermore.

You, my Savior, I now adore.

Hope in heaven awaiting me,

Because You died at Calvary.


I have been forgiven,

And I’m bound for heaven.

Jesus set me free from

All my sin, I say.

I will praise Him always!


Lord, I love You for all You’ve done:

Overcame death, my vict’ry won!

Jesus saved me, and now I’m free!

I rejoice in His love for me.


I will walk in vict’ry!

My sin is but hist’ry!

I am free to please Him

With my life today.

I will love Him always!


Lord, I thank You for giving me

A new life bought at Calvary.

Loving Jesus, I meet with Him.

Tender mercies now flow within.


Lord, I am so thankful;

Through my Lord, I’m able

To sit at His table;

Fellowship with Him.

I will thank Him always!


https://vimeo.com/379484387

No comments: