Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Purposed to Advance the Gospel

Philippians 1:12-14 ESV

 

“I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel, so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard and to all the rest that my imprisonment is for Christ. And most of the brothers, having become confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.”

 

Some of you who know my testimony are aware of some of the things God has allowed me to suffer in this life. Now some people today are under the impression that it is not God’s will for us to suffer, but the words of Jesus and of his NT apostles negate such a thought. For we are called into the fellowship of Christ’s sufferings that we might become like him. And Jesus told us that if we follow him with our lives that we are going to be hated and persecuted for the sake of righteousness and for his name’s sake.

 

[Matt 5:10-12; Matt 10:16-25; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 6:22-23; Lu 21:12-19; Jn 15:1-21; Jn 16:33; Jn 17:14; Ac 14:22; Rom 5:3-5; Phil 3:7-11; 1 Pet 1:6-7; 1 Pet 4:12-17; 2 Tim 3:12; 1 Thess 3:1-5; Jas 1:2-4; 2 Co 1:3-11; Heb 12:3-12; 1 Jn 3:13; Rev 6:9-11; Rev 7:9-17; Rev 11:1-3; Rev 12:17; Rev 13:1-18; Rev 14:1-13]

 

And when I was born into this world, the Lord placed me in a family where he knew I was going to be abused. He knew that my father was going to sexually molest me and abuse me physically and emotionally. And he knew I was going to be emotionally neglected by my mother. For he is the one who put me in the womb of my mother, and all the days ordained for me were written in God’s book before one of them came into being (Psalms 139).

 

And both of my parents claimed to be Christians. I believe my mother was, but my father definitely was not, not according to how the Scriptures define a true believer in Jesus, which was evident by how he lived, and by the words that he spoke. Yet God sent me into that home to live with awful mistreatment from one who claimed to be a Christian. And my father was a man who went to church gatherings faithfully for nearly all of his 86 years of his life. And he heard great solid biblical preaching, and he even studied the Scriptures himself, but he did not live them.

 

I believe, as well, that the Lord gave me the husband I have been married to for the past 50 years, even though we have had our troubles, too, and our marriage still is not where it needs to be. But I can tell you from personal experience that God has given me the life experiences he has given me, and he allowed much suffering in my life, and much more, including much from pastors of churches, to make me into the person I am today so that he could use me in the way he is now using me for his purposes and for his glory.

 

For I now feel some of what God feels, and I feel it passionately, from experience. And so I am able to write about what his word teaches from his heart and from his passion because of what he has taken me through in this life. So, in 2004 the Lord called me to this ministry of writing out what he teaches me from his word each day and to post it on the internet. There are now about 8,000 of these writings on the internet in multiple locations, some of which are going out to people all over the world, and people are reading them.

 

Then, in 2011 he gave me the gift of writing songs, and there are 185 of those, and then in 2018 he had me begin writing poems, and there are about 250 of those – all on the internet in various places where people from all over the world can read them and listen to them. And then in 2020 he led me to begin doing video talks on YouTube and on Vimeo where I just share what the Lord is teaching me from his word as I am doing it live, i.e. most all of these are not planned out in advance. And there are over 200 of those now, too. And God is sending people to view them and to respond to them.

 

And all of this happened, I believe, because of what I have suffered in this life, and so my life is sold out to Christ, and I do feel passionately what God feels about the things he teaches us about. And my point with the numbers is to show that what has happened to me in this life has happened for a purpose, and it has served to advance the gospel through sharing my devotions, songs, poems, books, and video talks with people all over the globe. But none of the glory goes to me. It all goes to God!

 

But this is not a declaration of perfection, okay? I just share what I am learning from my times with the Lord, and that he is teaching me, but I am not saying that I have everything 100% right. I just know that this is my calling in life, for now, and that I am being led by the Spirit, but I am not claiming to be without error.

 

So, God allowed all of this in my life for good that he might use me in the way he is now using me for his purposes and for his glory, which is for the salvation of human lives. And when God wants me to do something different, he will certainly let me know. But just as Paul suffered for the sake of the gospel, so am I, and just as he asked for prayer, so am I. But Paul didn’t run away and neither did Jesus. And who were Jesus’ greatest persecutors? Those who professed faith in God and who were teachers of the Scriptures.

 

So, don’t be afraid to suffer for the sake of the gospel, and don’t believe the lies which tell you that God doesn’t want you to suffer. Biblically, that just isn’t true. But he will also give us joy and peace in this life. So it isn’t all suffering. But as Paul learned, the things we suffer in this life, if we are surrendered to Jesus Christ, can make us into the people of God he wants us to be so that we can be used to spread the message of the gospel to the people of the world.

 

No Less  

 

An Original Work / March 19, 2012

 

I can do no less than praise You,

Lord, for all You’ve done for me.

You died for my sins to save me,

So I would be set free.

I adore You! Lord, I praise You!

Jesus, Savior, King of kings!

You provided my redemption.

Your grace has pardoned me.

 

I can do no less than serve You.

Lord, Your witness I would be,

Telling others of Your love,

And why You died on that tree.

Tell of how You gave of Your life,

So from sin we’d be set free,

So we could worship You forever,

And live eternally.

 

I can do no less than love You,

Lord, for You have first loved me.

You gave of Your life so willing,

Because You cared for me.

Turn from my sin! Obey freely!

Live for You each passing day.

Read Your word, and follow Your lead,

Lord, as I humbly pray.

 

https://vimeo.com/125493623

No comments: