Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Good Stuff


Thursday, December 06, 2012, 5:49 a.m. – the Lord Jesus woke me to the song “Not Be Silent” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Psalm 16 (NIV 1984):

Keep me safe, O God,
    for in you I take refuge.

I said to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
    apart from you I have no good thing.”
As for the saints who are in the land,
    they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight.
The sorrows of those will increase
    who run after other gods.
I will not pour out their libations of blood
    or take up their names on my lips.

Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
    you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    surely I have a delightful inheritance.

I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me.
    Because he is at my right hand,
    I will not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will rest secure,
because you will not abandon me to the grave,
    nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
You have made known to me the path of life;
    you will fill me with joy in your presence,
    with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Apart From You

The psalmist acknowledged his absolute dependence upon God for all things, as well as he testified to the goodness of God, and his recognition that apart from God, he had no good thing. So, what is good?

The spiritual fruitage (outgrowth) produced by a life committed to Jesus Christ is considered “good fruit,” the gospel of Jesus Christ is called the “Good News,” we are instructed to let our lights shine before men so that they can see our “good deeds” and praise God (give glory to God); “the good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him,” the spiritual seed of the word of God fell on “good soil” where it produced a spiritual harvest many times over what was sown, and “good seed” is also a reference to “the sons of the kingdom.” Also, Jesus said there is only One who is good, and that is God, also referring to himself as God. So, what can we take away from these few Biblical descriptions of the word “good”? If God is the only One who is good, then all other goodness must be rooted in God. He is the source of all that is truly good, so “good” is in reference to God or “of God.”

The Good Stuff

The psalmist then went on to describe some of the good things he had received from God:

The saints

The psalmist said that the saints in the land are the glorious ones in whom is all his delight. So, what is a saint? Some faiths may describe a saint as a man or a woman who excelled in good deeds during his or her lifetime and so after death he or she would be given the honor of sainthood, yet that is not what the Bible teaches about saints.

Beginning with the book of Acts in the New Testament, true followers of Jesus Christ were referred to as saints. They were the ones who had heard the Good News of the gospel of Jesus Christ, had responded to the call of God to holy living, by believing in Jesus Christ as Lord (master) and Savior (from sin) of their lives, who had turned from their lives of sin (repented), and who had turned to follow Jesus Christ in faith, obedience and surrender to his will for their lives (see Jn 9:23-25; Eph 4:17-24).

God has given us one another. He has given us brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ who love the Lord and who desire nothing more than to honor him and please him in all that they do, who have a passion for lost souls, who hunger and thirst after righteousness, and who love others with Christ’s love. They are a blessing to our lives because they help encourage us in our walks with Jesus Christ, they lift us up when we have fallen, and they spur us on toward continuing, persevering and remaining steadfast in our faith. They are a blessing from God!

My portion and cup

The psalmist thanked God for assigning him his “portion and cup,” for giving him spiritual security and for a delightful inheritance. The New Testament uses the word “cup” in several different ways.

One reference described the cup as something that offered refreshment (a cup of cold water) for the physically thirsty disciple of Christ. In yet another reference, Jesus described the cup as symbolic of suffering and death for the sake of Christ and his gospel or of the cost of taking up one’s cross daily to follow Jesus Christ. Jesus asked God the Father, on the night Jesus was betrayed, if it were possible, that God would allow this “cup” to be taken from him, yet he prayed, “Yet not as I will, but as you will.” He was speaking, not only of the physical suffering and death he would have to endure for our sake, but of the sins of the entire world that would be placed upon him in his death, and for which he would die so that we could go free! This was indeed his “portion and cup” and it is ours to follow, as well, i.e. to follow him in suffering for his sake and in taking up our cross daily and following him.

Through following Jesus Christ into death to sin and resurrection to new (transformed) life in Jesus Christ we, too, have a delightful inheritance of eternity with God in glory! Although the psalmist may have been speaking in terms of physical land (the Promised Land), and so he was speaking of physical boundaries, perhaps, there are “boundary lines,” spiritually speaking for the true follower of Jesus Christ. True grace offers true freedom from sin. It does not give license to immorality or willful continuing in a sinful lifestyle. God sets boundaries for each one of us to follow, and they are for our own protection. When we stay within the boundary lines he has provided for us, there is much security, peace and joy! When we venture outside those boundary lines, we only know guilt and lack of inward peace or else we must sear our consciences to where we quench the Spirit of God in our lives.

The Counselor

The psalmist praised the Lord who counseled him. Even at night the Lord instructed him in his heart, and because of that good counsel, the psalmist set the Lord always before him, and his life was not shaken (disturbed; tossed about by the wind) because the Lord was his constant source of strength, power and wisdom for his daily life and decisions.

Right before Jesus Christ left this earth to go back to his Father in heaven, he comforted his disciples by telling them that if they loved him, they would obey what he commands, and he would ask the Father, and he would give them another (other than Jesus in the flesh) Counselor to be with them forever – the Spirit of truth. He told them that the Spirit presently lived with them, but he would be in them one day (see Acts 1:8). The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, would teach them all things and would remind them of everything Jesus had said to them in person. He would guide them into all truth, and would only speak what he heard from the Lord Jesus and God the Father (see John 14-16).

When we choose to believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and to invite him into our lives by faith, he indwells us with his Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit draws us to Christ, he is the one who transforms our hearts away from lives of sin and toward walking in obedience to Jesus Christ, and he is the one who inspires, counsels, directs, guides, and leads us into all righteousness and holy living. He convicts our hearts of sins and he nudges us when we are going the wrong direction, and he empowers us and strengthens us to do God’s will. He is the Spirit of God within us; the living water; the life of Christ, and we are his body (temple). The Holy of Holies now dwells with the hearts of true followers of Jesus Christ and we can come to the throne of grace to find mercy and help in our time of need 24/7. Amen!

No grave for me

When we come to faith in Jesus Christ, not only does he deliver us from slavery to sin (day-to-day), but he also delivers us from the ultimate penalty of sin, which is eternal damnation. He delivers us from spiritual death while we still live on the face of this earth, i.e. he gives us new lives in Jesus Christ full of meaning and purpose and direction, filled with his peace and joy and love, and commitment to obeying and serving him in obedience and surrender to his will for our lives, and overflowing with praise, thanksgiving and love for others. He delivers us from our empty lives, which were centered on ourselves and self-pleasure, and he focuses us toward himself and loving God and others. Christ’s followers may all die physical deaths, but we will live forever with God in eternity in our heavenly bodies. Amen!

Because of all this “good stuff” that God/Jesus has done for us, our hearts and tongues should be overflowing with praise and thanksgiving to God. We should tell others of his wondrous works on our behalf - how God loved us so much that he sent his one and only Son to die on the cross for our sins, and of how we can come to faith in Jesus Christ through death to sin and through being transformed in new birth to new lives in Christ Jesus via the working and power of the Holy Spirit of God in our lives as we now yield to his Lordship. We should sing of his praises, speak of his salvation, and not be silent!

“You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.~ Matt. 5:14-16 (NIV 1984)

Not Be Silent / An Original Work / December 3, 2012

Based off Psalm 30

O Lord my God,
I’ll exalt You.
I called for help,
And You healed me.
O Lord my God,
You brought me from the grave.
You spared me from hell.
Sing to the Lord,
You saints of His;
Praise His holy name today.
Weeping may
Remain for a night;
Joy at break of day.
Our debt He did pay!

O Lord my God,
I said, “I will
Ne’er be shaken.”
Secure, I felt.
O Lord my God,
You forgave me.
Confident I stand in You.
When I could not see
Your face I was dismayed.
I called to You.
O Lord, You are my help.
You were merciful to me;
By Your grace set free!

O Lord my God,
I’m so thankful for
Salvation through my Jesus.
You turned wailing
Into dancing;
Clothed me with
Your joy today,
That my heart may sing
To You and not be silent.
Praise Your name.
O Lord my God,
I will give you
thanks forevermore.
My Lord, I adore!

No comments: