Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Shouts of Joy!


Thursday, December 13, 2012, 7:55 a.m. – the Lord woke me with the song “I Will Lift My Eyes” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Psalm 27 (NIV 1984):

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?
When evil men advance against me
    to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
    they will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
    even then will I be confident.

One thing I ask of the Lord,
    this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
    and set me high upon a rock…
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
    I will sing and make music to the Lord.

Hear my voice when I call, O Lord;
    be merciful to me and answer me.
My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”
    Your face, Lord, I will seek.
Do not hide your face from me…
    you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
    O God my Savior.
Though my father and mother forsake me,
    the Lord will receive me.
Teach me your way, O Lord;
    lead me in a straight path
    because of my oppressors…

I am still confident of this:
    I will see the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
    be strong and take heart
    and wait for the Lord.

Our Enemies

Not many people in this world are completely free of all enemies, nor should it be our goal to be absent of enemy attacks or disdain against us. In other words, we should not make it our goal to live to please men or to avoid all conflict through compromise or through patronizing those who think differently from us. Jesus said we would be hated. He said:

“All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.” ~ Matt. 10:22

“Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.” ~ Matt. 24:9

“Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.” ~ Luk.6:22

And, we read in 2 Tim. 3:12-13: “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.”

So, if we are following Jesus Christ with our lives, and we are walking in obedience to him in all ways, and we are sharing the truth of the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ with the world around us, we should expect that there will be those who won’t like us, and who may even be actively against us, and disconcertingly enough, many of those may even be within the church and/or the church leadership.

Yet, the Bible teaches us that our true enemies are not flesh and blood, but are of Satan and are of his world. In other words, this is a spiritual battle, not a physical one, and it must be fought and won with the spiritual resources and armor of God (see Eph. 6) which he has supplied for us with which to fight off Satan’s attacks against us. And, Satan will use people as his instruments, whether they are conscious of that fact or not. Yet, we are to love those who hate us, we are to treat them with kindness, and we are to pray for them.

Our Salvation

The Lord Jesus Christ came to earth, took on human flesh (as a newborn baby), went through the same kinds of sufferings and temptations we regularly endure, yet without sin, was betrayed, forsaken, beaten beyond recognition and hung on a cross to die, although he had done no wrong, but had only done what was good. Yet, this was God’s plan of redemption for you and for me so that, in his death, our sins would be crucified with him, and when he rose from the dead, he would conquer death, hell, Satan and sin so that we could be set free – from eternal damnation and from slavery to sin on a day-to-day basis.

We accept his plan of salvation for our lives by God’s grace, and by the working of the Holy Spirit in our hearts in transforming us from those who walk according to our fleshly desires to those who walk according to the Spirit of God. This work of God’s grace in our hearts is what gives us the faith to believe, and is that which empowers us to repent of (turn from) our sins, and to turn to God to follow Jesus Christ in faithful obedience. This is why Jesus died, so that we would be with him today and forever in fellowship with him, and so that we would live lives pleasing to God, free from the control and bondage to sin, and free to obey Jesus Christ in all ways. Although our salvation is a working of the Spirit of God in our hearts, and not of the works of our flesh, we must cooperate with the Spirit’s work by faith.

Our Stronghold

Once we have entered into genuine relationship with Jesus Christ by faith (repentance + obedience), then we can begin to experience what David wrote about concerning his relationship with God in this psalm. We can know, because we know God, that no matter how many physical or spiritual enemies come against us, because we are followers of Jesus Christ, and because of our testimony for Jesus Christ, that we need not be afraid. God has it all under control. We can turn to our Lord in faith and trust in his power, his love, his strength and his sovereignty over all things, and we can know that God is looking out for those who are truly his disciples. This does not mean we will not suffer, but it means that we don’t have to fear, because God is with us always, and he will give us all we need.

Teach Me

David’s joy and peace came through his times alone with God in fellowship with him. He loved God’s house and desired nothing more than to be with God forever. When we believe in Jesus Christ as Lord (master) and Savior of our lives, we enter into his eternal kingdom, by faith, and we have the promise and hope of eternal life with God in glory. This world is no longer our home, for we live our lives for what is eternal in value. We should all love those personal times of intimacy with our Lord Jesus each day where we come into his holy temple, when we seek his face, when we learn at his feet, and then when we walk in obedience to what he has shown us. For this is how we are kept safe spiritually.

David’s desire was for the Lord to teach him his ways and to lead him in a straight path. We learn the ways of the Lord through his word, through the witness of the Holy Spirit within us, and through obedience. He cannot teach us his ways if we are not in his word each day drinking in whatever he has for us, and/or if we are not walking in obedience to what he shows us, because this reveals our hearts are not willing or receptive to hear and to obey. The same applies if we are only willing to hear what tickles our itching ears and/or if we set limits on what commands of God we will obey and which ones we won’t. This reveals we are not interested in the straight path he has for us which is free from wanderings, dishonesty, immorality, and any kind of deviation from his commands and from the true gospel. So, to pray this prayer means we must be willing to give it all to Christ, holding nothing back.

Shouts of Joy

The psalmist had physical enemies who were attacking him or who were plotting attacks against him. Yet, he put his confidence and trust in the Lord and did not let fear consume him. He daily communed with his Lord and depended on the Lord’s strength, power and wisdom to overcome his enemies. And, in spite of his enemies surrounding him, he chose to sacrifice to God with shouts of joy, to sing and to make music to the Lord.

The scriptures speak much about singing and praising and being joyful, especially in times of grief, sorrow, pain, persecution, and enemy attacks against us in body, mind or spirit. This is part of our spiritual armor we put on with which to fight off Satan’s attacks. And, we don’t have to be particularly gifted at singing or at making music, either, for the Lord looks at our hearts and he hears what comes from our hearts.

So, when you are feeling under attack of Satan and/or when you are being persecuted or rejected for your testimony for Jesus Christ, sing praises to God, tell of all his wonderful works, and tell of his salvation, which he has provided for all the world to come to know God intimately and to be free from their burden of sin.

I Will Lift My Eyes / An Original Work / December 12, 2012

Based off Psalms 121-125

I will lift my eyes
To my Lord Most High.
My help comes from Him,
Who saved me from sin.
He will not let your foot slip, and
He who watches will not sleep.
Our Lord watches over you, and
Your life He will keep.
I will lift my eyes
To my Lord Most High.
My help comes from Him,
Who saved me from sin.
I give thanks to Him.

I will lift my eyes
To my God in heav’n.
I look to the Lord.
My sins, He’s forgiv’n.
Because of His great love for us,
He made us alive with Christ.
Through the kindness of our Savior,
He gave us new life.
I will lift my eyes
To my God in heav’n.
I look to the Lord.
My sins, He’s forgiv’n.
My home now in heav’n.

Praise be to the Lord,
Who is on our side.
Our help found in Him.
He gives peace within.
Those who trust will ne’er be shaken.
God will supply all we need.
Our Lord has done great things for us.
He’s our friend, indeed!
Praise be to the Lord,
Who is on our side.
Our help found in Him.
He gives peace within.
I can count on Him.

No comments: