Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Thankful


Sunday, December 30, 2012, 5:36 a.m. – the Lord Jesus woke me this morning with the song “Thank You, Lord” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Psalm 71 (NIV 1984):

In you, O Lord, I have taken refuge;
    let me never be put to shame.
Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness;
    turn your ear to me and save me.
Be my rock of refuge,
    to which I can always go;
give the command to save me,
    for you are my rock and my fortress.
Deliver me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked,
    from the grasp of evil and cruel men.

For you have been my hope, O Sovereign Lord,
    my confidence since my youth.
From birth I have relied on you;
    you brought me forth from my mother’s womb.
    I will ever praise you.
I have become like a portent to many,
    but you are my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with your praise,
    declaring your splendor all day long…

But as for me, I will always have hope;
    I will praise you more and more.
My mouth will tell of your righteousness,
    of your salvation all day long,
    though I know not its measure.
I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, O Sovereign Lord;
    I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone.
Since my youth, O God, you have taught me,
    and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
Even when I am old and gray,
    do not forsake me, O God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
    your might to all who are to come.

Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God,
    you who have done great things.
    Who, O God, is like you?
Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter,
    you will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth
    you will again bring me up.
You will increase my honor
    and comfort me once again.

I will praise you with the harp
    for your faithfulness, O my God;
I will sing praise to you with the lyre,
    O Holy One of Israel.
My lips will shout for joy
    when I sing praise to you—
    I, whom you have redeemed.
My tongue will tell of your righteous acts
    all day long,
for those who wanted to harm me
    have been put to shame and confusion.

In His Righteousness

God’s righteousness can be defined in terms of his divine and sinless perfection; his holiness, justice, faithfulness, purity of heart and motive, honesty, and his love.

In God’s justice, he could not let sin go unpunished, so he sent his Son to earth to die on the cross for our sins, so that through faith in Jesus Christ we might be made right with God, having Christ’s righteousness credited to our account (see Rom. 3:21-26). Through Jesus Christ’s shed blood on the cross we are rescued (delivered; saved) from slavery to sin, from the ultimate penalty of sin (eternal damnation), and we are set free to love, serve and obey our Lord in humble submission to his will for our lives.

We come to faith in Jesus Christ via repentance and obedience. Scripture teaches us that the way in which we come to know Christ is through forsaking (dying to) our old lives of living for sin and self, being transformed in heart and mind via the power and working of the Holy Spirit of God in our lives, through following Jesus in obedience, and through being reborn into new lives in Christ, “created to be like Christ in true righteousness and holiness.” [See Luke 9:23-25; Eph. 2:8-9; 4:17-24; Rom. 12:1-2; and John 3:1-21, et al.]

My Rock of Refuge

When we invite Jesus Christ into our lives to be our Lord (master) and Savior of our lives, he comes to dwell within us in the person of his Holy Spirit whom he promised to send in his place when he left the earth and went back to heaven after his resurrection from the dead. When Jesus Christ was alive on this earth he was with people physically, but when he left this earth he sent his Holy Spirit to live within all of his true followers, so that he can be with all of us 24 hours a day seven days a week. Because Jesus Christ’s death split the veil in the temple in two that stood between us and the presence of our holy God, we can now approach the throne of God’s grace with confidence to help us in our time of need.

Jesus Christ, via his Holy Spirit, is there with us always to offer comfort, encouragement, counsel, direction, knowledge and understanding, insight into the truths of God’s word, correction, rebuke, instructions in righteousness, and to daily deliver us from wickedness and from temptation to sin, and even from our own selves sometimes, as well as to deliver us from the fear of men and what men might do to us, and/or from their evil influences.

When the world is crashing all around us, and things in our lives are not going according to our plans and purposes, we can count on God/Jesus and his faithfulness. He is in absolute control of all things, and his purposes cannot be thwarted. He knows exactly what we are going through, he allowed it in our lives for a purpose, and so we must trust in his sovereign grace, knowing that he will work out all things for good for those who love him and who have been called according to his purposes. He is our hope even when all else seems hopeless! He is our refuge in the storms of our lives. He is our fortress and our refuge.

Praise Him!

The psalms offer us so many words of encouragement and hope, and they teach us much about praising and thanking God in all our circumstances. This psalmist was evidently being attacked or oppressed by the grasp of evil and cruel men. His enemies spoke strongly against him, and those who waited to kill him conspired together against him. Evidently his hardships were a sign to his enemies that he was forgotten and forsaken by God, so they took this as an opportunity to overtake him, because they assumed there would be no one to rescue him. The psalmist also recognized that God had his hand in his troubles, as well. In other words, he acknowledged that God was in complete control over all things, and so that meant God had allowed these troubles in his life for his divine purposes.

In all these things the psalmist said that he would ever praise the Lord. In fact, he said that his mouth was filled with God’s praise, declaring his splendor all day long. Wow! And, he continued by saying that he would praise God “more and more.” He said: “My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure.” Completely unaware of the limit or the extent of God’s love, grace and mercy, and not having knowledge and understanding of God’s ultimate plan of salvation for mankind, still the psalmist praised God for all that he could see and understand, and even what he knew was the goodness of God not yet seen. What an awesome example to us!

Not only did the psalmist privately praise God and give him honor and glory for all who he was and did and for what was not yet seen of his mighty acts, the psalmist made proclamation of God’s mighty acts. A proclamation is a public announcement of something. To proclaim something is also to declare someone to be who he or she says he or she is, or to show or reveal clearly what something is [Resource: Encarta Dictionary]. So, the psalmist made public testimony to God’s saving grace, his righteousness, and his marvelous deeds. As well, he prayed for God’s protection and mercy over his life until he was able to declare the power of God to the next generation. What an awesome goal and vision!

Hope in Him

The psalmist put his absolute faith and trust in Almighty God, no matter what came his way. He knew that God would restore his life again, whether in this life or the next. Since he mentioned that he knew God would bring him up from the depths of the earth, it appears he may have been speaking of the time when he would be resurrected from the grave at the time Jesus comes to receive his bride to himself and we are all with the Lord forever. Then we will be perfectly restored, our tears and pain will cease, and we will enjoy our eternal home with God forever. And, we will forever praise our Lord! Amen!

Lessons to Learn

From this psalm we learn that God is our deliverer and he is our salvation. He is our refuge during the storms of our lives. We can trust him and praise him no matter what is going on in our lives, because we know he is in control and he allows all things in our lives for a purpose. We learn the importance of trust, hope and confidence in the Lord at all times, and especially we are encouraged to praise the Lord in all circumstances at all times. Beyond that we also gain understanding into the importance of making public testimony of his saving grace and all that he does on our behalf for our good. No matter what others may say about us, too, we should give it over to the Lord, and trust him to work it all out, and we should not fret or worry but always trust God. “Who, O God, is like you?”

Thank You, Lord / An Original Work / May 19, 2011

Thank You, Lord, for saving me;
From my sins set free.
Crucified and risen Lord,
They hung on a tree.
They thought they had finished You.
You came back to life;
Triumphed over hell and sin;
You gave eternal life.

Thank You, Lord, for victory
Over all my sin,
So that I might live with You;
You cleansed me within;
Filled me with your love and pow’r;
Give me strength each day,
So that I might live for You,
To love You and obey.

Thank You, Lord, for your return.
Soon You will arrive
To receive Your bride to You;
Meet You in the sky.
You’ll wipe away all our tears;
Free us from our fears;
Crown our heads in victory.
We’ll praise You with our cheers!


No comments: