Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Monday, December 10, 2012

My Shepherd


Monday, December 10, 2012, 5:57 a.m. – the Lord Jesus woke me this morning with the song “A Believer’s Prayer” playing in my mind. Then he put this song in my mind:

Jesus, Lead Me / An Original Work / July 22, 2011

Jesus, lead me all the way.
Be my hope and be my stay.
Gently lead me where I should go,
So Your Spirit, I want to know.
Open up my heart to You.
Fill me with Your love and truth.
Make my heart want to obey.
Be my Lord today. Gently lead always.

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Cleanse my heart, and make me whole;
Be transformed in my heart today,
As I turn from my sin and pray.
Make Your will known to my heart.
May I not from You depart.
How I long to hear You now,
As I humbly bow. Jesus, hear me now.


Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Psalm 23 (NIV 1984):

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
    for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
    through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

My Shepherd

A shepherd is “somebody who looks after sheep” or is “somebody who is responsible for caring for and guiding a group of people” (Encarta). A shepherd, in Biblical times, fed the sheep, took them to pasture, groomed and sheared them, delivered their young, led them where they should go, went after any who wandered off, and protected them from anything or anyone who might harm them. This is a picture of Jesus, as our Good Shepherd.

The Bible oftentimes compares the people of God to sheep, and Jesus Christ to a shepherd, i.e. he is the Good Shepherd. A good shepherd would lay down his life for his sheep, and that is exactly what Jesus Christ, God the Son, did for the people of this world.

Jesus Christ, God the Son, left his home in heaven, came to earth, took on human flesh as a newborn baby, suffered, and was tempted as we are, yet without sin; was mocked, criticized, ridiculed, chastised, rejected, despised, hated for telling the truth, and forsaken, abandoned, denied and betrayed by his closest companions. He was beaten beyond recognition, and he was hung on a cross to die for the sins of the entire world. When he died, our sins died with him, and when he rose from the dead, he conquered death, hell, Satan and sin so that we could, by faith in him, be set free from slavery to and the ultimate punishment of sin (eternal damnation).

The true sheep of God, i.e. true followers of Jesus Christ know the voice of the Shepherd, they listen to him, and they follow him in obedience wherever he leads them. The Shepherd calls his sheep by name and he leads them. His sheep will only follow him. They will never follow a stranger (a false shepherd of the people), and, in fact, they will run away from a stranger, “because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice,” i.e. they are able to discern truth from lies. Jesus Christ is not only the Shepherd for the sheep, but he is the gate, and all who enter in through faith in him will be saved from their sins, and will have eternity with God in glory. Jesus Christ came to give us new and full lives in him. [See John 10]

Not in Want

A Good Shepherd takes good care of his sheep. Yet, not being in want does not mean that we will never go without anything of this world, that we will always be happy (by the world’s standards of happiness), and/or that we will never experience trouble or hardship, or persecution or sword. In fact, Jesus promised his disciples that they would go through hardship, that they would be persecuted and that they would be hated for the sake of his name and for the sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And, the New Testament writers echoed those words of Jesus when they told us much the same thing. We are taught, though, that these times of hardship and trouble are for our good – to teach us patience, endurance, perseverance and to mature us in our walks of faith with Jesus Christ.

So, what does it mean then to not be in want? I believe, whereas this might be speaking literally of physical shepherds and their sheep, it is speaking metaphorically and spiritually to us of our relationship with Jesus Christ, who is our Good Shepherd. Our green pastures and quiet waters, thus, are not physical, but speak spiritually of the Lord Jesus meeting our needs for spiritual nourishment and rest in him in the quiet trust we exercise in our relationship with him. He supplies all that we need for living this Christian life, and he will fill us with his peace and joy, with his presence, and with the knowledge of his power and his authority to work miracles in and through our lives for the glory of God. So, we never have to fear anything or anyone, because God has all our circumstances under his control.

Paths of Righteousness

A path, in this context, is “a course of action or a way of living; direction” (Encarta). Righteousness has to do with Christ’s righteousness (virtue, morality, goodness, uprightness, honor, honesty, purity, etc.) being credited to our account and lived out within us and out through us on a daily basis. We are made righteous (in right standing with God) by God’s grace, through the blood of Christ shed for us, and through faith (repentance + obedience) in Jesus Christ, and we are continually being made righteous through that same faith (see Luke 9:23-25; Eph. 4:17-24; Rom. 1:17; 3:22-23; 4:3-5; 6:13-18; 8:24, etc.).

So, Christ’s righteousness is credited to our account when we believe in him as Lord and as Savior, but it is also a progressive experience of the Christian faith and practice as our Good Shepherd daily leads us in a way of living in Christ’s righteousness, holiness and purity. And, we all need to daily be in his word, listening to what he says, and then following him in obedience in the righteous path he shows us to follow. There is no value in praying for God – Jesus, our Good Shepherd - to lead us into righteousness, if we do not intend to follow.

No Fear!

We all have our areas of weakness where we seem to be the most vulnerable to Satan’s attacks, perhaps due to personal history or experiences we have faced in our lives. Jesus conquered sin in sinful man, and through Jesus we have complete victory over sin, yet Satan will try to work his way back into our lives sometimes, and he will try to get us to return to our former ways of responding, reacting and dealing with life’s situations. I believe, based upon the number of times in scripture that it says the words “Don’t fear,” or something similar, that it must be a problem that many of us must fight against.

Yet, when we truly comprehend, not just with our minds, but in our hearts and in our spirits the reality of who God is, and what he has done for us, and all that he provides for us, and the unending love, mercy and grace he offers to us, and all his power and majesty and absolute control over all things, all circumstances, and all people of this world, we should not fear anything or anyone, even when faced with the possibility of torture or death for our testimony for Jesus Christ. Yet, we often revert to fear when faced with even the slightest of difficulties, and we are tempted to take matters into our own hands, to give up, to run away, or to just be complacent, because we feel things are out of our control. They are! We just have to face that reality! Yet, they are not out of God’s control. We have no need ever to fear because our Lord is with us, and he will lead us, guide us, protect us, encourage us and he will rescue us from all evil attacks if we will let him, and if we will take on and use the spiritual armor he has provided for us to use to fight off the attacks of our enemy.

A Table

The table is in reference, I believe, to a banquet table where we can come and be fed the riches of God’s truths, and drink of his life-giving Spirit, and find refreshment and renewal in him for our wearied minds, bodies, and souls. Each and every day of our lives we can come and sit at his feet and take in his word and drink in his love, grace, mercy and his many blessings he has for our lives. It is here that he leads us in the path of righteousness and he comforts and encourages us, and it is here where we find correction, too. It is here that he anoints us for his service, and he calls us to specific areas of ministry, and he fills us with all kinds of spiritual blessings in Christ Jesus. I love my times with God each day!

His House

The Lord’s house is his temple, which collectively speaking is the true church of Jesus Christ, his body. For David, it was a physical temple, yet it was much more than that. The temple of God represented a place where the people of God could come into his presence. We who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior are that temple, as we have the Spirit of God living within us, so we are blessed beyond measure to be able to come into God’s holy presence day and night, seven days a week. It is the most wonderful place to be ever!

I understand why David wanted to dwell in the house of the Lord forever! We, who have come to know Jesus Christ, by his grace and through faith (repentance + obedience) in him, will dwell with the Lord forever in his holy presence - beginning now and forever with him in glory. God’s goodness to us and his love will be with us forever! Amen!

A Believer’s Prayer / An Original Work / July 31, 2012

With my whole heart,
Lord, I pray to be Yours,
And Yours always.
Lead me in Your truth today.
May I love You, and obey.
Lead me in Your righteousness.
When I sin, may I confess;
Bow before You when I pray;
Live for You and You always.

Love You, Jesus,
You’re my friend.
Life with You will never end.
You are with me through each day,
Giving love and peace always.
You will ne’er abandon me.
From my sin You set me free.
You died on that cruel tree,
So I’d live eternally.

Soon You’re coming back for me;
From this world to set me free;
Live with You eternally.
Oh, what joy that brings to me.
I will walk with You in white;
A pure bride,
I’ve been made right
By the blood of Jesus Christ;
Pardoned by His sacrifice.

No comments: