Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Faint of Heart


Thursday, December 27, 2012, 4:57 a.m. – The Lord Jesus woke me with the song “A Believer’s Prayer” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Psalm 61-65 (quoting selected passages from the NIV 1984):

Hear my cry, O God;
    listen to my prayer.

From the ends of the earth I call to you,
    I call as my heart grows faint;
    lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
    a strong tower against the foe.

I long to dwell in your tent forever
    and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. Selah
For you have heard my vows, O God;
    you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name…

O God, you are my God,
    earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
    my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
    where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary
    and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
    my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
    and in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
    with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

On my bed I remember you;
    I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,
    I sing in the shadow of your wings.
My soul clings to you;
    your right hand upholds me…

When we were overwhelmed by sins,
    you forgave our transgressions.
Blessed are those you choose
    and bring near to live in your courts!
We are filled with the good things of your house,
    of your holy temple.

You answer us with awesome deeds of righteousness,
    O God our Savior,
the hope of all the ends of the earth…

My Cry

The psalmist David prayed to God. He described his emotional state of mind as having grown faint of heart. He was short on courage and/or was feeling timid, perhaps. Or, he may have been disturbed in heart and mind by some type of difficult circumstance he was facing. Or, he could have been feeling very emotionally weak and in great need of the strength of the Lord in his life in order to keep going, and to be able to meet the challenges yet to face him. He was crying out to God, so something was certainly troubling him in his spirit. As was often the case, he was confronted by enemies all around him; with those who made slanderous accusations against him, and who hotly pursued him with the hope that he would be taken down. There were many who sought to take his life, yet God was his strength, hope and sustaining force through all of his troubles and difficulties.

Perhaps today you can identify with the emotions of the psalmist. Maybe you are being faced with some very challenging and difficult circumstances in your life right now that are pulling at you and/or are weighing you down emotionally. You may even be experiencing enemy forces coming against you in hot pursuit, perhaps merely through the attacks of Satan on your emotions, mind and/or body, or possibly there are other human beings, even family members, fellow Christians, neighbors and/or friends who are presently standing strong in opposition against you because of something you believe in and/or are taking a stand on, or for whatever reason they may be against you. As well, you could be mourning over the loss of a loved one, or the loss of a job or some other tragedy in your life.

I know from personal experience that these types of situations can be physically and emotionally draining, and can sap you of all your physical and emotional strength so that you may wonder how you will keep going. The temptation may be strong to just give up and/or to give in to your flesh and/or to withdraw and sink into self-pity and/or depression. It is hard to be rejected and/or hated and/or misunderstood, especially by those you love. It is difficult to have slanderous accusations made against your character and for people to believe the lies being told against you. It is tough when you treat others with kindness and love only to have them treat you with disdain in return. And, although we are to count it all joy when we suffer for righteousness sake, it is not always easy doing that. So, that is why we, like the psalmist, must cry out to God for his strength and help to make it through.

My Sanctuary

The psalmist’s salvation was his God and his hope and faith in his Lord. He knew instinctively to call upon God whenever he was facing trouble. He trusted God with his life, and asked for his leadership and guidance in knowing what to do and in how to respond appropriately to his circumstances. The Rock that was higher than the psalmist was his Lord, Jesus Christ, God the Son. In his Lord he took refuge, especially when his foes pressed hard against him.

The Lord was his sanctuary, i.e. his shelter in a storm, his protection and his safe haven. The word sanctuary is also used to describe the Holy of Holies, i.e. the inner sanctuary of God where his presence dwelt. Now that sanctuary is in the hearts of true followers of Jesus Christ, and we can go to meet with God any time of day, any day of the week, and at any location. So, when we call on God it does not have to be in a particular way or at a specific time or even at a set location. We can go to him anytime in prayer and talk with him just like we would a best friend. We can pour out our hearts to him and tell him all our troubles, and trust him to meet all of our needs.

The psalmist longed to dwell in the tent (sanctuary; temple) of the Lord forever and to take refuge in the shelter of his wings (like the wings of a mother bird protecting her young). Oh, that we would all have that kind of relationship with Jesus Christ to where we long and hunger for our times with him each day, lest our times alone with him become routine and nonproductive because we are just going through the motions. Oh, that we all had that kind of passion and desire for our Lord and for his presence! And, oh, that we would all take our “marriage” vows to our Lord Jesus seriously and that we would honor him in all that we do. Oh, that we would all be very in tune to God’s voice and presence with us when we lie down to sleep at night, when we wake in the morning, and throughout the day, so that we would desire nothing more than to please him in all we do and say.

My Praise

The psalmist knew what it was to truly fear (respect; reverence; obey; and to stand in awe of) God Almighty. He loved God with all his heart, mind and strength. And, he regularly praised God for all his awesome deeds, both those done for the psalmist personally, and for those done in behalf of all mankind and all living things. He praised God for the heritage God had given to him and to all who feared (reverenced; respected) God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth. He praised and thanked God for his love, faithfulness and protection. He respected God for his power and his glory and he thanked him for all his many provisions. He adored his Lord for the personal relationship he had with him to where he could go before the Lord and pour out his heart and know that God would hear him and would answer him. And he expressed gratitude in his heart for God’s many acts of righteousness – for his forgiveness of sins and for his salvation.

The psalmist expressed his praise for God in many ways. He verbally praised, reverenced and thanked God through written and spoken word and through song. He also showed appreciation for God through the fulfillment of his covenant vows to God.

Our covenant vows to God today are much like the ones expressed by the psalmist. When we come to faith in Jesus Christ we make an agreement with God to turn away from a life of sin and to turn to walk in faithful obedience to Jesus Christ and to his commands for our lives (see Eph. 4:17-24; Luke 9:23-25; Rom. 12:1-2). Yet we understand that this is not of our own making nor can we do this in our own strength and power. Even the ability to believe in Jesus Christ and to turn from our sins and to walk in faithful obedience to Christ is a gift of God’s grace and can only be accomplished in the power and strength and wisdom of the Holy Spirit of God within us, as we cooperate with that work.

I pray today that each one of us would fulfill our covenant (marriage) vows to Jesus Christ, that we would long for his presence, and love our times alone with him each day, and that we would continually praise him in all things; and give him the respect, honor and reverence he deserves - with our mouths, with our hearts, and revealed and evidenced through how we live our lives each and every day for him and for his glory.

A Believer’s Prayer / An Original Work / July 31, 2012

With my whole heart,
Lord, I pray to be Yours,
And Yours always.
Lead me in Your truth today.
May I love You, and obey.
Lead me in Your righteousness.
When I sin, may I confess;
Bow before You when I pray;
Live for You and You always.

Love You, Jesus,
You’re my friend.
Life with You will never end.
You are with me through each day,
Giving love and peace always.
You will ne’er abandon me.
From my sin You set me free.
You died on that cruel tree,
So I’d live eternally.

Soon You’re coming back for me;
From this world to set me free;
Live with You eternally.
Oh, what joy that brings to me.
I will walk with You in white;
A pure bride,
I’ve been made right
By the blood of Jesus Christ;
Pardoned by His sacrifice.


No comments: