Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Monday, December 3, 2012

Darts of Fear


Monday, December 03, 2012, 5:33 a.m. – the Lord Jesus woke me this morning with this song, “Sing Praises.” Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Psalm 11 (NIV 1984):

In the Lord I take refuge.
    How then can you say to me:
    “Flee like a bird to your mountain.
For look, the wicked bend their bows;
    they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows
    at the upright in heart.
When the foundations are being destroyed,
    what can the righteous do?”

The Lord is in his holy temple;
    the Lord is on his heavenly throne.
He observes the sons of men;
    his eyes examine them.
The Lord examines the righteous,
    but the wicked and those who love violence
    his soul hates.
On the wicked he will rain
    fiery coals and burning sulfur;
    a scorching wind will be their lot.

For the Lord is righteous,
    he loves justice;
    upright men will see his face.

Flee or Pursue?

Have you ever noticed that the more you follow Jesus Christ in obedience, the more resistance you get? The Bible describes Satan as a roaring lion roaming around looking for someone to devour. And, the ones he wants to devour most are those who are loving, serving, and who are obeying Jesus Christ with their lives; and who are being his witnesses for the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The devil has all kinds of evil schemes in his bag of tricks that he likes to use against us. He knows our weak spots, and those are the areas where he will most likely focus the point of his flaming arrows, too. Sometimes he attacks our emotions, our thoughts, and/or our attitudes directly, and other times he uses human instruments to fling or to hurl his arrows and darts against us. I believe some of the greatest weapons he likes to wield against us are darts and arrows of doubt and/or fear.

So, when Satan bends the bow and sets his arrows against the strings of the bow to shoot his arrows at us, whether or not he uses human instruments as his arrows, we have a choice to make. We can either flee like a bird (escape; run away), or we can stand firm in our faith, resist Satan, cast our anxiety on God, and put on the full armor of God so that we can take our stand against the devil’s schemes (see Eph. 6:10-20; 1 Pet. 5:7-9).

Satan is a BIG FAT LIAR! He loves to put all kinds of doubts and fears into our minds because his ultimate goal is to get us to doubt God and to fear our circumstances, which also doubts God, because fear is the opposite of faith.

A Personal Example

As a child, I faced a great deal of abuse in my home. I grew up in the church, so I learned about God and his love from infancy. I invited Jesus Christ into my life to be my Lord and Savior when I was a young child, and I made it my goal to live for the Lord. Yet, I had an abusive human father. I knew God loved me, and I drew on his love all the time, yet somehow I had gained this picture of God (subconsciously) as limited in his ability to have control over my circumstances. I saw people and circumstances frequently as overwhelmingly against me, and many of them were, in reality, yet I had this helpless feeling of an abused child, unable to fight off my abuser. My response to the “arrows” of Satan, often coming through human beings, was to call on God, and was to rely on him for strength to make it through, but most always with a feeling that somehow these “darts” were greater than God. I even one time said to God, “But God, you don’t understand!” How foolish I was then!

Anyway, I carried this false concept of God into adulthood, not realizing that is what I was doing. Because I saw God as limited in power over my circumstances, my circumstances frequently would get the best of me, and I would give way to them, i.e. I would flee like a bird, because I thought the circumstances were too powerful for me. I often fought off temptation like an abused child would fight off an abuser with my arms crossed in front of my face, hoping to not get hit again, yet realizing the inevitable was probably going to take place. I had a victim mentality instead of a victor mentality. And, it was because I truly did not grasp the sovereignty of God in my life and his absolute power over all circumstances in my life, and because I had a skewed concept of what the cross of Jesus Christ really did for me, that I frequently gave way to doubt and to fear.

Then, one day it all made sense to me. God opened my eyes, and I realized I had believed a lie of Satan. God was absolutely in control (and still is) of every circumstance in my life. Before I was even formed in the womb of my mother God had a plan and a purpose for my life. He placed me in that home for a reason, and he was in complete control, even though I felt as though my world was very much out of control at the time. He was and still is quite capable of handling any darts or arrows Satan might throw my way, and he will give me all I need (his armor) with which to fight off those flaming arrows of Satan. Jesus Christ conquered Satan, hell, death and sin on the cross, so I have no reason to ever fear any of these or to give way to any of these, because Jesus already won the battle for me. Amen! I can confidently resist Satan and stand firm in my faith because of what Jesus did for me.

I Take Refuge

Taking refuge in the Lord is much more than just leaning on his everlasting arms for comfort and encouragement during hard times. And, this is what I learned the hard way. Taking refuge in the Lord also entails understanding intellectually, emotionally and with our whole hearts the reality of God’s power over all our circumstances, and that all the days ordained for us were written in his book before one of them came into being (see Ps. 139). Nothing escapes God’s notice. He is not missing in action when things go awry. He was there all the time. No one or no dart of Satan is too powerful for God. If we are the Lord’s, he will never leave us nor will he forsake us. He is not weak! If he allows us to go through difficulties, he has a purpose in them for our lives to teach us perseverance, to strengthen us in character, mind, spirit and will, and to mature us and to mold us into his image.

I believe with all my heart that I was placed in the home of my parents so that God could make me into the person I am today, and so he could use me in the way he is now engaging me in ministry. If I had not gone through many of the difficulties I have faced in my life-time, I believe I would not be prepared to do what I am now doing. Through difficulties he taught me perseverance; stamina, stick-to-it-ness, and he gave me a sense of the awesomeness of God’s hand upon my life “for such a time as this.” No matter what resistance I may face in the line of duty in service to my Lord, I must keep on keeping on by standing on the faith God has given me, and by resting in all his promises. I must daily put on the armor of God, so that I can fight off the devil’s schemes, I must resist Satan and his tricks to get me to give way to fear, and I must confidently remain assured of God’s absolute sovereignty over my life and circumstances, and of his divine purposes for my life.

In All Practicality

One practical thing I do, which I believe helps a great deal, is that I journal what the Lord Jesus teaches me each day through his word. I also post on the internet the lessons I learn through his word, in obedience to my Lord, and in the hope that he may use what he teaches me to encourage the hearts of others of his followers. The posting on the internet aside, though, many times when Satan is hurling his darts at me and I am tempted to doubt or to give way to fear, I can go back to what I have written and I can read what the Lord taught me, and how he answered my prayers or my inquiries of him, and I can use the Lord’s words as part of my spiritual armor against Satan’s attacks against my mind. I am not speaking of doubting my salvation or anything that basic here, but I am speaking of Satan’s darts that he likes to throw against me (and you) in my (your) daily spiritual walk with my (your) Lord and in obedience to him and to his service. Satan wants nothing more than to get God’s children to stop doing what God has called and equipped them to do.

One other huge thing the Lord is still teaching me is to give him praise no matter what I am going through. I think sometimes we get bogged down with our circumstances and we get so focused on what we are going through that, again, we lose sight of God and the fact that he is very much on his throne in his holy temple, and that he not only knows what is going on, but he has allowed it for a purpose, so we need to praise him and thank him for allowing us to go through difficulties so that he can make us into the people of God he wants us to be. Even if we can’t thank him for the difficulties, we can praise him in the storms of our lives. Also, when we respond to our circumstances with praise and thanksgiving, it completely alters our attitudes for the good.

So, I choose to sing praises to God even when I don’t feel like it or even when my circumstances don’t particularly warrant praise, in the natural, and I choose to trust my Lord and his sovereignty over all things in my life and to not give way to fear. Amen!

Sing Praises / An Original Work / November 30, 2012

Based off Psalms 6-9

Sing praises to the Lord!
Tell of His wond’rous works.
Afflicted, they cry out;
The Lord will not forget;
The needy, not desert.

The Lord’s our refuge now;
A stronghold when we fear.
The Lord will ne’er forsake
The ones, who Him pursue!

Sing praises to the Lord!
With all my heart I sing.
I will rejoice in Him;
Sing praises to His name;
Tell of His wond’rous works.

My shield is God Most High.
He saves those who believe
In Jesus Christ, God’s Son.
His grace has pardoned you!

The Lord accepts my prayer!
The Lord has heard my cries.
He is so merciful.
He heals my anguished soul.
The Lord has made me whole.

Give thanks unto the Lord.
Give praise unto His name.
Our Lord is righteousness.
Sing praises to the Lord!

Sing praises to the Lord!

MP3, Song Lyrics and Sheet Music w/chords (free):

No comments: