Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

They're Not the Same

I was on YouTube scrolling down through suggested videos for me, which usually have to do with music, the kind I would listen to. This grouping had a bunch of old movie clips with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers and Gene Kelly and Doris Day and Frank Sinatra and Audrey Hepburn and the Carpenters, etc., i.e. stuff from the 50s (or earlier) thru the 70s (and maybe later). And something would grab my attention or bring up an emotional memory and I would think, "I like that." And so I played a few of the clips. But my reaction wasn't what I thought it would be.
As I began watching the clips I realized that they no longer impacted me the way they used to. I didn't have the same emotional memories. I didn't feel the way I used to feel about these musicians and their music and/or their dancing. And I expressed that to my husband. I was expecting nostalgia, but it wasn't there at all. It was kind of empty, actually. And then the Lord led me to write this poem, and I believe it was his way of letting me know that isn't where I belong anymore and I am to move on.

They're Not the Same


Things I used to like before

They’re not the same

Not anymore


Times have changed and so have I

The things gone by

Don’t make me cry


Things that used to entertain

Affect me not

They’re all in vain


Past is past, so let it go

You do not need

The great big show


An Original Work / September 5, 2023

No comments: