Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Sunday, August 28, 2011

By God's Grace

Sunday, August 28, 2011, 6:40 a.m. – The song, “By Your Grace,” was playing in my mind when I awoke this morning. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read John 18-21 (quoting John 18:20-23, 36; 19:11; 20:21; and 21:15-19):

“I have spoken openly to the world,” Jesus replied. “I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret. 21 Why question me? Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said.”

22 When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby struck him in the face. “Is this the way you answer the high priest?” he demanded.

23 “If I said something wrong,” Jesus replied, “testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?” 24 Then Annas sent him, still bound, to Caiaphas the high priest.

…Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place.”

…Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.”

…Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.”

…When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”

My Understanding: Judas, one of Jesus’ twelve disciples and close companions for the three plus years of his earthly ministry, agreed to betray Jesus and to hand him over to the authorities. Jesus was subsequently put under arrest, bound and turned over to the high priest for questioning. His disciples and/or followers all deserted him. He was put on trial, during which time another of his twelve disciples and close companions, Peter, denied his relationship with Jesus Christ, and he did this three times - one time, at least, vehemently denying that he ever knew the Lord.

When the high priest questioned Jesus, Jesus told him that everything he had done and said was out in the open, it was not hidden behind closed doors, and the people who had heard him speak could testify as to what he had said publicly. At this, one of the officials struck Jesus on the face. Jesus questioned the official as to why he struck him for telling the truth.

Then Jesus was brought before the Roman governor. Pilate asked Jesus, “Are you the king of the Jews?” Jesus explained that his kingdom was not of this world, but from another place. Jesus agreed with the assessment that he was a king and, in fact, it was for this reason that he was born; that he had come into the world, as well as he had come to testify to the truth. Then he said, “Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”

Pilate could find no basis for a charge against Jesus. It was Pilate’s yearly custom, at the time of the Passover, to release to the people a prisoner, so Pilate offered to release Jesus to them. Yet, the people chose to have a murderer released to them, instead, and they called for Jesus to be crucified.

Jesus was flogged and a crown of thorns was placed firmly upon his head. He was struck again on the face. They put a purple robe on him and mocked him. Pilate continued to find no fault with Jesus, nonetheless, and continued to find a way to release Jesus. He questioned Jesus about things which Jesus chose not to respond. So Pilate said, “Don’t you realize I have power either to free you or crucify you?” I love Jesus answer to him! He said, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above.” Amen!

Pilate still tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, “If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar.” So, Pilate handed Jesus over to be crucified because he caved in to political and social pressure, which was apparently more important to him than the fact he knew he had just released a criminal and he had just condemned an innocent man to death.

So, Jesus was crucified, yet this was no mistake. It was God’s plan all along to send his Son, God the Son, Jesus Christ, to the earth to take on human flesh, to suffer as we suffer, to be tempted as we are tempted, yet without sin, then to die on a cross for our sins so that we could be set free. When he died our sins died with him, and when he was buried our sins were buried with him, yet when he was resurrected from the dead our sins stayed dead, because when he rose from the dead he conquered the grave, death, hell, Satan and sin. He put our sins to death on the cross so that, through faith in him, we can be free, not only from eternal punishment in hell, but free from the control of sin over our daily lives. This is God’s grace!

When Jesus was resurrected, he appeared to his disciples. He told them, “As the Father sent me, I am sending you.” He was letting them know that they were to carry on his ministry.

Then Jesus reinstated Peter. Peter had denied Jesus Christ three times, so Jesus asked him three times if he loved him. The first two times Jesus asked Peter if he loved - “agape” – him with a Godlike love, to which Peter answered that he loved Jesus with a friendship love. So, the third time Jesus asked him if he loved him with a friendship love, to which Peter responded in the affirmative. When Peter said he loved Jesus, Jesus responded by telling him to take care of his sheep, to feed them, and to follow Christ.

When we come to faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of our lives, we are crucified with Christ to our sins and our old lives, and we are resurrected to new lives and a new walk in Christ in obedience to him. You cannot have true faith in Christ apart from true repentance (turning from sin) and choosing to walk in faith and obedience to Jesus Christ. And, when we are resurrected with Christ to our new lives he, as well, asks us if we love him, and if we love him, we are to care for and feed his sheep and follow him wherever he leads us.

This song is a prayer to our Lord asking him to be all we need to walk humbly before him as his obedient servants, to change our hearts so that we might be more like him, to guide and direct our steps, to help us to live for him every day as we listen daily to his words, and to make himself Lord of our hearts so that we can be his faithful witnesses and obey him in all things, being doers of the word and not hearers only. This is what it means to be his followers and this can only be done by his grace, in his power and in his strength. If we truly love Jesus Christ, then we must follow him wherever he leads us and be his faithful servants and witnesses in feeding and caring for his sheep.

By Your Grace / An Original Work / June 27, 2011

Speak Your words to my heart,
Let Your grace and love impart.
Be to me all I need
To love and serve Christ my King;
To love and serve Christ my King.
Change my heart; be like You;
Let me love and serve in truth.
Guide my steps ev’ry day,
As I bow my knees and pray;
As I bow my knees and pray.

Love You, Lord. You love me.
You died so that I’d go free
From my sin; pure within;
By Your grace I’m saved from sin;
By Your grace I’m saved from sin.
Invite You in my heart;
Now I have a brand new start.
Repented of my sin,
So that I’d be cleansed within;
So that I’d be cleansed within.

Live for You ev’ry day,
List’ning to the words you say.
Make You Lord of my heart;
Be Your witness, grace impart;
Be Your witness, grace impart.
Obey Your ev’ry word;
Do the things I’ve seen and heard.
Your word, Lord, in me burns,
While I wait for Your return;
While I wait for Your return.

Song Lyrics @ Public Domain

Audio, song lyrics and sheet music:
https://sites.google.com/site/psalmshymnssongs/home/songs/by-your-grace

Song on Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gCSwQSG2AI

No comments: