Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Friday, August 18, 2023

Torn Between the Two

Philippians 1:21-26 ESV


“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.”


Have you been there before? Have you ever felt this way? I think the older I get the more I think this way, too. I have lived on this earth nearly 74 years now, and the Bible talks about 70 years being a lifespan, and maybe 80 years. And I have had many hardships in my life, as well, though not nearly as many as some other people. And I have seen a lot of what is presently going on in our world, and much of it is not a pretty sight. And then I am witnessing the spiritual downfall of much of the church and all the deception and how so many “Christians” are following the lies and not the truth, and it is heartbreaking. And I am tired, and I want to go home to be with Jesus.


But that is what I feel in my emotions and in my body many times, but I agree with Paul that, although dying and going to be with Jesus would be far better than living in this sin-sick world of ours, God put me here on this earth for a reason, and until he is finished with me and he is ready to take me home to be with him, my desire is to continue in him and in his work in doing what he has called me to do. And my desire is to be his servant and his witness in sharing the truths of God’s word with the people of this world and in showing love, kindness, and compassion to the people of this world, for to this I have been called, and I deeply care about other people.


Now I don’t have a death wish, but I wouldn’t complain if Jesus decided to take me home at any point, for I am fighting the good fight of faith, and I am running the race God has for me to run, and I am keeping the faith, only by the grace of God and in his power and strength. And so I am looking forward to his appearing and to him taking me to be with him one day (see 2 Timothy 4:7-8). So, like Paul, I am torn between remaining on this earth and continuing in what God has called me to do, and seeing the day when Jesus comes to take me to be with him for eternity when all my pain and suffering for the sake of his gospel will be over.


For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. My purpose on this earth is to live for Christ and not for myself. This doesn’t mean that I don’t take care of self or that I don’t do good to me, I do, but I am not here on this earth to serve self but to serve God with my life. And my purpose here on this earth is to love others with the love of Christ and to minister to their needs. But ministering to their needs is not all this feel-good stuff that many are pushing these days in place of God and his purpose for humanity, but it includes speaking the truth in love and teaching the truth and exposing the lies so that the people will follow the truth and not the lies.


So, as long as the Lord has use of me on this earth, I know I will remain. I know that as long as God is not finished with me yet, but I am still serving his purposes, and that I am making a difference in other people’s lives, that I will remain. And that is my desire, too. And it is for the progress and joy in the faith of us all. For this is what all of us are to be doing, ministering to one another, encouraging (exhorting, urging) one another in our walks of faith and obedience to the Lord Jesus. And we are all to be spurring one another on to love and to good deeds and speaking the truth in love, one to the other, to help strengthen one another in our walks of faith.


[Matt 5:13-16; Matt 28:18-20; Jn 4:31-38; Jn 13:13-17; Jn 14:12; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:14-18; Acts 26:18; Rom 10:14-15; Rom 12:1-8; Rom 15:14; 1 Co 12:1-31; 1 Co 14:1-5; Eph 4:1-16; Eph 5:17-27; Php 2:1-8; Col 3:16; Heb 3:13; Heb 10:23-25; 1 Pet 2:9,21; 1 Jn 2:6]  


Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer 


Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897

Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897


Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,

This is my constant longing and prayer;

Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,

Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.


Oh, to be like Thee! full of compassion,

Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,

Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,

Seeking the wandering sinner to find.


O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,

Holy and harmless, patient and brave;

Meekly enduring cruel reproaches,

Willing to suffer others to save.


O to be like Thee! while I am pleading,

Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love;

Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling,

Fit me for life and Heaven above.


Oh, to be like Thee! Oh, to be like Thee,

Blessèd Redeemer, pure as Thou art;

Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;

Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrYhiK2nQBg 

Caution: This link may contain ads

No comments: