Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Monday, November 26, 2012

Our Delight


Monday, November 26, 2012, 6:40 a.m. – the Lord woke me with the song “He Touched My Mouth” playing in my mind, followed by the song “My Sheep.”

He Touched My Mouth / An Original Work / June 13, 2012

Based off Isaiah 6:1-8; Jeremiah 1:4-9

Oh, I saw the Lord
Seated on His throne,
High and lifted up;
Holy is the Lord!
The earth is full
of His glory.
“Woe to me,” I cried,
“I’m of unclean lips.”

My Lord touched my mouth
With His cleansing pow’r;
Removed all my guilt,
Paid for by His blood.
He asked, “Whom shall I send;
Who will go for us?”
I said, “Here am I.
Send me!”

Before I was born,
God set me apart;
He appointed me
To His servant be.
I said, “I don’t know
How to speak.
I am but a child.”
Then, the Lord replied:

“Do not say to me,
‘I am but a child.’
You must go to all,
And do what I say.
Do not fear them,
For I’m with you.”
My Lord touched my mouth;
Gave me words to say.


Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Psalm 1 (NIV 1984):

Blessed is the man
    who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
    or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
    and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
    which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
    Whatever he does prospers.

Not so the wicked!
    They are like chaff
    that the wind blows away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
    nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
    but the way of the wicked will perish.

The Lord Replied

This song, “He Touched My Mouth” is based off the passages of scripture in Isaiah and in Jeremiah which describe God’s calling on these men’s lives. Isaiah, aware of God’s holiness and righteousness in comparison to his sinful and fallen nature, called upon God’s mercy in repentance and faith. He received cleansing from the altar of God, upon which blood sacrifice was made for sins, which was a prefiguring of the blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross for the sins of the entire world. Isaiah chose to not participate with the sins of the people around him, but rather to turn to walk in obedience to God. Then, God gave Isaiah his calling, and Isaiah responded positively, “Here am I. Send me!”

For Isaiah, the roadblock to obedience was either that he had not yet repented of his sin to God or else it was the fear of being unworthy to be used of God when faced with the absolute holiness of God in comparison to his sin nature. Oh, that we would all have such cognizance of God’s holiness and divine character and will so that we do not take him for granted or miss out on what he has for each of our lives. And, such realization of his holiness in comparison to our earthly natures should drive us all to our knees in repentance.

For Jeremiah, the roadblock to obedience was his fear that he lacked the wisdom and maturity to know the right words to say. God dispelled that fear by assuring Jeremiah that he would give Jeremiah the words to speak. Jeremiah had been called to be a prophet of God even before he was born, yet he feared that he was not yet ready for such a task as this. In both the case of Isaiah and that of Jeremiah, God touched these men’s mouths, and he gave them the words to speak.

So, what does this have to do with me (or you), and how does this fit with Psalm 1?

Examples for Us

Isaiah and Jeremiah were prophets of God in Old Testament times. When they spoke in the name of the Lord God Almighty, they spoke the exact words of God for his people, i.e. they were the word of God. All the law and the prophets were fulfilled in Jesus Christ. Jesus is the Word (see John 1). He is God. We have the written word, the Bible, and we have the Living Word, Jesus Christ, via his Holy Spirit, living within those of us who are truly His. He speaks his words into our hearts, and he speaks out through us, his servants. We are his witnesses. We are to teach, encourage, strengthen, counsel, and give guidance. All of that comes from his written word and from the Living Word living within us and out through us, and in the power of his Holy Spirit touching our mouths and giving us the words to speak.

So, although we may not be prophets, that does not mean we are any less called of God. We read in Psalm 139 that, before we were born, all the days ordained for us were written in God’s book, even before one of them came into being. God created each and every one of us with a specific purpose in mind. We are all called to be holy, to be the Lord’s servants and witnesses (see Matt. 28:19-20; Acts 1:8), and to walk humbly in faithful obedience to Jesus Christ. We are all to be his hands and feet to the world around us. Yet, he also has very specific gifts and ministries to which he has called us individually, as well. And, it is important that we first of all answer the call to his general calling upon all of our lives, and then to the specific callings he has for each one of us individually.

This song, combining these two men’s stories together, gives us a good picture of the sequence of events that need to take place in our lives if we are to not walk in the counsel of the wicked, or stand in the way of sinners, or sit in the seat of mockers, but to have our delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night, and bearing good fruit.

Bearing Fruit

We must first of all be aware of God and of his holiness and righteousness, i.e. to stand in absolute awe of him and of his purity in comparison to our sin condition. We must be filled with grief over our sin and come humbly before him in repentance (turning from our sin) and in faith (repentance + obedience). We must choose to leave our lives of sin behind us and to reject the ways of this world, refusing to participate in the sins of those around us. We must accept God’s cleansing in our hearts and lives by choosing to shut the door on our old way of living, to be transformed in heart and mind via the working and power of the Holy Spirit of God within us, and we must turn to follow God/Jesus in obedience and surrender to his will for our lives (see Eph. 4:17-24; Luke 9:23-24).

This is not a one-time decision we make at an altar and then largely live our lives out to please ourselves. This is a life-time decision that should affect every aspect of our lives on a day-to-day basis. Jesus said we must take up our cross daily and follow him. John, in 1 John, gives us a good picture of how that works. We must no longer walk (order our lives according to) the ways of sin (darkness), but we must walk in the light (truth; righteousness) of God and of his word, and the blood of Jesus purifies us from all sin. Notice this is a daily walk (ordering of our lives), so this is a daily purification from sin.

We must no longer be conformed to the ways and patterns (norms; traditions; thoughts; behaviors; and attitudes) of this world’s system and its values (see Rom. 12:1-2), but daily we must allow the Holy Spirit of God to continually transform us in mind and heart and will to his ways. This means we go to God for counsel, not to ungodly men (or women). We don’t participate with the ungodly in their ungodly acts, and we don’t agree together with those who would mock God and/or his servants and/or mock God’s ways of dealing with mankind. Our goal is not to please men (women included here), but our goal is to please God in all ways, even at the exclusion of man’s acceptance and approval of us, and even at the risk of man’s rejection and even mocking of us.

Then we can truly delight in God/Jesus and in his word within us, and allow what is written in the word of God to be what leads us, guides us and gives us understanding for how we are to live for Jesus Christ each and every day of our lives here on this earth. This does not mean that we merely give God a few minutes each day in his word and in prayer, but it means that we are continually in an attitude of prayer and with receptive spirits to hear God speak to us throughout the day and night, ready to respond, “Here am I. Send me.”

When our lives are fixed in the word of God and in our relationship with Jesus Christ, then not only will we not be easily shaken by the storms of this life that come against us, but we will be able to bear fruit (offspring; outgrowth) for God through our lives and testimony for him. The fruit will come in season, though. We may not always see the fruit for our labors for the Lord, because the season for it to be revealed may not yet have come. Many a missionary spent years laboring in foreign countries, sharing the gospel, before they ever began to see lives turned to faith in Jesus Christ. We don’t always know the effects of our labors for the Lord, and we may not see them in this life, but we have the assurance from God that if we walk in obedience to him, that the fruit will come in season.

The Wicked

The wicked are described throughout the New Testament as those who continue in willful sin and rebellion against God. Many of their specific sins are named throughout scripture – lying, cheating, adultery, sexual immorality, slander, gossip, and the like. These are those who continue to walk in darkness, even though they may have received the knowledge of the truth. So, it is possible to think you are among God’s children because you prayed a prayer at an altar, but actually be among the wicked because you continued in sin. Know that you will not be able to stand in the day of judgment, and you will not be included among the righteous when God calls you to account for what you did with Jesus Christ in this life. The way of the wicked will perish, so make sure today you are among the righteous through repentance, faith and obedience to Jesus Christ, making him your Lord (master).

My Sheep / An Original Work / June 24, 2012

Based off John 10:1-18 NIV

My sheep hear me. They know me.
They listen to my voice and obey.
I call them and lead them.
They know my voice, so they follow me.
They will never follow strangers.
They will run away from them.
The voice of a stranger they know not;
They do not follow him.
My sheep hear me. They know me.
They listen to my voice and obey.
I call them and lead them.
They know my voice, so they follow me.

So, I tell you the truth that
I am the gate, so you enter in.
Whoever does enter
Will find forgiveness and will be saved.
Nonetheless whoever enters
Not by the gate; other way,
He is the thief and a robber.
Listen not, the sheep to him.
So, I tell you the truth that
I am the gate, so you enter in.
Whoever does enter
Will find forgiveness and will be saved.

Oh, I am the Good Shepherd,
Who laid his own life down for the sheep.
I know them. They know me.
They will live with me eternally.
The thief only comes to steal and
Kill and to destroy the church.
I have come to give you life that
You may have it to the full.
Oh, I am the Good Shepherd,
Who laid his own life down for the sheep.
I know them. They know me.
They will live with me eternally.
They know my voice, so they follow me.

No comments: