Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Winning Souls for Christ


Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 5:00 a.m. – The Lord woke me this morning with the song “Full Release” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read John 1:35-51 (NIV 1984):

The next day John was there again with two of his disciples. When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, “Look, the Lamb of God!”

When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus. Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?”

They said, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?”

“Come,” he replied, “and you will see.”

So they went and saw where he was staying, and spent that day with him. It was about the tenth hour.

Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus.

Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).

The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding Philip, he said to him, “Follow me.”

Philip, like Andrew and Peter, was from the town of Bethsaida. Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote —Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

“Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” Nathanael asked.

“Come and see,” said Philip.

When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, “Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false.”

“How do you know me?” Nathanael asked.

Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.”

Then Nathanael declared, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel.”

Jesus said, “You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You shall see greater things than that.” He then added, “I tell you the truth, you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

A Personal Experience

About twenty years ago I met a young woman on a job. We were both temporary employees and we were paired together in a room to do a job. At that time I was struggling in my walk with the Lord, although I had been a Christian many years. The woman and I talked, and she shared with me some of her life story. She did not know Jesus. I knew I must tell her about Jesus, even though I was not doing well spiritually at that moment in time. So, I began to share with her the gospel, and I invited her to come to church with us and to our home to become part of our family, as she had no family nearby. I invested much time and love into her life, shared with her much about Jesus, and through this I began to follow the Lord Jesus in obedience again, so we helped each other essentially.

One day when she was at church, and she was in a different group from me, another woman prayed with her the prayer of salvation and my newfound friend invited Jesus Christ into her life to be her Lord and Savior, and her life has never been the same since. Afterwards I heard all this talk about how this other woman had led my friend to Christ. And, I remember how I felt at that time, too. I felt slighted. I was not looking for glory or praise nor for credit for the time and care invested in her life. It wasn’t about that. I would gladly do what I did all over again with no thought to getting any kind of recognition. Yet, it was as though, in the eyes of man, this woman, who by God’s providence was the one there when my friend made the decision to receive Christ, had been the sole one to lead my friend to Christ merely because she was the one who prayed the prayer with her.

Leading People to Christ

So, that brings up the question: “What does it mean to lead someone to Christ?” When I hear people talking about leading people to Jesus, they usually mean they were the ones who actually prayed the prayer of salvation with the person when the individual invited Jesus Christ into his/her life. So, what if you have invested much time into someone’s life, have shared with them the love of Christ, have shared with them the gospel, have invited them to church where they could hear more of the gospel, but you weren’t the one to “close the deal”? Does that mean you did not lead that person to Christ? I believe this is a very important question to answer, not because God requires it, but because man often puts too much emphasis and value on the person who “closes the deal,” and man puts too much pressure on followers of Christ to “close the deal,” which then places believers under a cloud of guilt if they are not the ones to actually pray the sinners prayer with someone.

I believe this story of Jesus calling his disciples gives us insight into how to answer those questions. John the Baptist was with two of his disciples. He saw Jesus passing by and he said, “Look, the Lamb of God!” The passage says that when the two disciples heard John say this, they followed Jesus. Now, John did not ask them if they wanted to follow Jesus nor did he “close the deal.” He merely pointed them to Jesus, told them who he was, and they made the decision to follow Christ. When Jesus saw them following him, he asked them what they wanted, and they wanted to know where he was staying. Jesus said, “Come and see.” Jesus invited them to come and to see, not just where he was staying, but to come and see who he was and what he was about, I believe.

Andrew was one of the two who followed Jesus. The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother and to tell him that he had found Christ. Andrew merely shared his own personal testimony with his brother, and then he took him physically to Jesus, i.e. he took him to the source so that he could find Christ, too, but Peter made his own decision. Jesus found Philip and told him, “Follow me,” and Philip found Nathaniel and told him about Jesus and said, “Come and see.” He invited him to come and check out Jesus, and he did. And Nathaniel believed Christ because of what Jesus Christ said to him about himself. So, the people who had found Christ shared their own personal testimony of finding Jesus Christ, they provided the opportunity for others to find Christ, they took the people to or pointed the people to Christ, but each respondent made his own decision to believe and to follow Christ.

Teaching of the Word

Ok, so what does the word of God teach us, instructionally or doctrinally, on this topic? The Lord brought to mind Proverbs 11:30: “The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise.” The word “win” can be translated “take; receive; get; fetch; lead; take to or for a person; bring,” etc. (Source: Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance) So, in this sense, John the Baptist won those men for Christ merely by telling them who he was and by pointing them to him. Andrew won his brother to Christ by sharing his testimony with him and by taking him to the source so he could hear and see and learn for himself, and Philip won Nathaniel to Christ because he shared his personal testimony with him, and he invited him to “Come and see.” Yet, not one of these people “closed the deal.”

So, what does the New Testament teach us about winning souls for Christ? Jesus gave two main commands or instructions to his disciples with regard to winning souls: 1) He told them that when they received the Holy Spirit that they would be witnesses for Christ to the ends of the earth, and 2) he told them that they were to go and make disciples (followers of Christ) of all nations, baptizing them, and teaching them to obey all of Christ’s commandments. As well, Jesus taught that we are to be lights for the gospel to the world around us and we are not to hide our lights but to let them shine to all men (see Matt. 5).

Ok, so we know what it means to be a witness for Christ and we know what it means to let our lights (of the gospel) shine to all men, and to not hide our faith and testimony, but what does it mean to make disciples? The word “make” appears to mean “to be a disciple of one; to follow his precepts and instructions; and to teach and instruct (source: Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance). So, we have to first of all be a disciple (a follower) of Christ, and then we have to be following his precepts and his instructions, i.e. leading by example, and then we can teach and instruct others how to be followers of Christ.

There is an old saying, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” We can’t make anyone receive Christ, though. That is God the Father’s job to draw men to Christ (see John 6:44), and each individual must make his own decision whether to follow Christ or to not follow Christ. Even if we pray a prayer with someone to receive Christ, that is no guarantee that person will actually follow Christ with his or her life. It is the Holy Spirit who convicts men’s hearts of sin (see John 16:8), and it is the Holy Spirit of God who does the work of transformation and regeneration within the heart of man, so truly only God – the Father (who draws men), Son (who was the sacrificial Lamb) and the Holy Spirit (who convicts and transforms hearts) should get credit for winning souls to Christ. Case in point:

In the Corinthian church (see 1 Co. 3:1-9) there was jealousy and quarreling among the believers in Christ. They were acting worldly. One said he followed Paul and another said he followed Apollos. They were raising one man’s work above the other, like what happened to me with my friend I told you about. The woman who “closed the deal” was honored while I was ignored. Yet, neither of us should have been honored in reality, and I had no right to feel slighted, especially in light of my failing spiritual condition at the time. I was acting worldly when I was jealous of her recognition while I was overlooked. Although I did not do what I did for the praise of men, but out of obedience to Christ, still I felt jealous when she got the credit and she was raised up before men but I received no validation.

Paul said to the Corinthian church, “What, after all, is Apollos and what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe – as the Lord has assigned to each his task.” Wow! We need to get this! He continued, “I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.” I shared Jesus with my friend, the other woman “closed the deal,” but God is the one who called my friend to himself, who convicted her heart of sin, and who transformed her heart to be like Jesus. Only God gets the credit! And, that is the way it should be. We are not anything, but only God, and we are just merely his servants doing what he says. “The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are fellow workers…”

How to Lead

So, what this says is that leading people to Christ or winning souls to Christ involves many things - the planting of the seed and the watering - but God is the one who produces the fruit in people’s lives. We lead others to Christ by our example. We lead others to Christ by our testimony of what Jesus Christ did for us. We lead others to Christ by sharing the truth of the gospel with others. We lead others to Christ by teaching them the truths of God’s word, and by pointing them to the Savior, and by telling them who Christ is. And, we lead others to Christ by inviting them to “Come and See,” or to invite them to receive Jesus Christ into their lives to be their Lord and Savior, but in reality, the only one who “closes the deal” is God. And, he is the only one who should be taking the credit for leading people to Christ. We should, in all humility, just obey God in doing what he says as his servants and leave the results to him. I have no idea how many people have come to know Christ through my ministry, and I don’t really want to know. My job is just to obey my Lord and to follow him wherever he leads me, and to give him all the credit and all the glory!

Full Release / An Original Work / April 15, 2012

Walking daily with my Savior brings me joy.
Loving Father; precious Jesus;
He’s my Savior and my Lord.
Gently leads me; follow Him.
I’ve invited Him within.
Now abiding in His presence, oh, what peace.
From my self-life He has brought me,
By His mercy, full release.

Hope and comfort, peace and safety Jesus brings
When I daily bow before Him;
Obey freely; do His will.
Follow Him where’er He leads.
Listen to Him; His words heed.
Now obeying his words fully, oh, what love
That He gives me through salvation,
By His Spirit, from above.

Loving Father; precious Jesus, He’s my friend.
With my Savior, by His Spirit,
I will endure to the end.
Share the gospel, tell what’s true.
Witness daily; His will do.
Tell the world of how their Savior bled and died.
On a cruel cross He suffered
So that we might be alive.

No comments: