Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The True Bread


Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 8:04 a.m. – The Lord put the song “You are Loving and Forgiving” in my mind this morning. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read John 6:25-71 (quoting vv. 25-51 in the NIV 1984): http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%206&version=NIV1984

When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, “Rabbi, when did you get here?”

Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”

Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

So they asked him, “What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’”

Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

“Sir,” they said, “from now on give us this bread.”

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”

At this the Jews began to grumble about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” They said, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, ‘I came down from heaven’?”

“Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me. No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

My Understanding: The people were looking to Jesus to fill their physical bellies, yet Jesus was much more concerned about giving them the bread of heaven that would last for eternity, and that would transform their hearts and minds for God. He told them not to work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which he, the Son of Man, would give to them. And, then he let them know that God the Father had placed his seal of approval on himself, Jesus Christ.

Now Jesus was certainly not telling them that they should not work to provide for their families. Obviously we must eat to survive. The true issue was one of focus and priorities. The people were coming to Jesus to get their physical needs met. He wanted them to be less concerned about the physical, and to be more concerned about the spiritual. We should not spend all our time, resources and energies on the things of this world while neglecting our spiritual needs. We should do what we need to do to survive, yet our main focus and purpose in life, as well as our time, resources and energies should have Jesus Christ and our relationship with him as our primary and central focus. Jesus said that we are to seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and then all these other needs will be provided.

The people asked Jesus what they must do to do the works God requires. Jesus said that the work of God is to believe in the one he has sent. The word “believe” had a definite meaning for the people of Jesus’ time. Today its meaning has become much more obscure. To believe in someone means to accept that person is telling the truth or that something about them is true; to give your support, trust and/or to put your confidence in that person. To believe in Jesus Christ is not merely to acknowledge that he died on the cross for our sins so that we can go free from the penalty of sin (eternity in hell). To believe in Jesus means to have faith in everything he taught and is and said, and to do what he has said we must do if we are to be his disciples. It means we must repent (leave our lives of sin behind us) and we must obey Christ and his commands on a day-to-day basis. It is a total heart and life commitment to everything Jesus stands for, holding nothing back.

Bread from Heaven

The word “bread” is often given a much broader meaning than just a loaf of bread made from flour, water and yeast. It also means “food, sustenance, or a means of survival or support” (Encarta). The word “food” also has a much broader meaning than just what we take into our stomachs. Food can mean “source of nutrients; substances providing nourishment; or something that stimulates or sustains the mind or soul” (Encarta). Nutrients provide nourishment that keep the human body healthy and that help it to grow (Encarta). Spiritual nutrients, as well, provided through a vital relationship with Jesus Christ, time in his word, in prayer, in obedience to his commands and through service to him and to others helps the body of Christ, his church, to grow spiritually and to keep it spiritually healthy.

Jesus said that God the Father gives us the true bread from heaven, and that “the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” The people wanted this bread. Then Jesus said, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.” He was speaking of spiritual nourishment for our lives. When we invite Jesus Christ into our lives, by faith, he fills us with his Holy Spirit who gives us all we need for life; and to live the Christian life. The Spirit of God is like a spring of water welling up within us to eternal life. That well never runs dry. Yet, even though the people were presented with the truth about Jesus – who he was – still they did not believe. They were following him, but they were not his true followers. We can say we believe and not really believe, because we only accept the surface stuff.

Jesus said that if we come to him in faith, he will not drive us away. He came from heaven to do the will of the Father who sent him. And, it was the Father’s will that Jesus should not lose any the Father had given to him. It was also the will of the Father that all who look to the Son and believe in him should have eternal life. So, what does it mean that Jesus should not lose any the Father had given him? Jesus continued by saying that no one can come to Jesus unless the Father first draws him (or her) to Christ. We cannot come to Christ on our own accord. The Father initiates our relationship with Jesus Christ, so it is the Father who gives us to Christ, and it is his will that none of us should be lost.

Eating the Bread

This is where the rubber meets the road, i.e. the moment of truth. Jesus said that he was the living bread that came down from heaven. “If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever,” said Jesus. He continued, “This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” The people were flabbergasted! How could this man give them his flesh to eat?

I believe if we were standing there listening to Jesus’ words, we might react the same way. It is one thing to read his words in the Bible, but it is another to try to put ourselves in the place of these people. I hear many people today say something like, “We should just follow the teachings of Jesus,” and “Jesus was all love and peace.” Really? He said, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.” Wow! Jesus said his flesh was real food and his blood was real drink. Boy, the literalists must have a hay-day with this speech! He continued, “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.” Now we are getting somewhere. Does any of this sound familiar?

Jesus said, as recorded in John 15: “Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” He said it was to his Father’s glory that we bear much fruit, showing ourselves to be his disciples. He continued, “If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.” So, obeying his commands allows us to remain in him, and bearing spiritual fruit (results; produce; outgrowth) comes from remaining in him. Also, included in this is the importance of his words remaining in us so that he will grant our prayer requests.

So, what does it mean to remain? It means to continue; endure; persist; keep on; and stay. And, what does it mean to eat or to drink? It means to consume, ingest, believe, accept, absorb, engulf, engage, learn from, be immersed in, partake, and/or to participate, etc.

Jesus Christ gave his body and blood for us on the cross, in dying for our sins, so that we can be free from the penalty of sin, so we can be free from the daily control of sin over our lives, and so we can be free to walk in victory, to be overcomers, and to live our lives for Jesus Christ and for his will and purposes for our lives. So, when we eat (partake) of his body and blood, we are participating in his death, burial and resurrection. It means we die to our old lives of sin and we are resurrected to new lives in Christ. Jesus said that daily we must take up our cross and follow Christ if we are to be his disciples. He said we have to lose our lives (our selfish wills) if we want to find our lives in Christ. And, this is not a one-time experience. This is a daily process of dying to sin and living for Jesus Christ. It means obeying Christ and having our lives bear results that show we are truly his followers. It means being in his word daily, drinking in its truth, and applying what we learn to our daily lives. It means total heart commitment (being immersed and consumed with Christ). And, it means continuing, enduring, persisting and keeping on in our faith day in and day out.

The Cost of Discipleship

This is a radical change of life! Yet, many of those who were following Jesus felt the teaching was too hard to accept. They considered themselves to be his disciples, and they were willing to follow him to a point, but when they realized the true cost of following Jesus, many of Jesus’ disciples turned back and no longer followed him. Yet, Jesus knew all along who his true followers were, i.e. who truly believed, and who would betray him. So he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him.”

Judas was one of the twelve, yet Jesus said he was a devil. Not all who have the appearance of being followers of Christ are truly his disciples, but only those who are willing to eat of his flesh and to drink of his blood, i.e. to die to sin and to choose to walk in faithful obedience to Christ, following all of his teachings and all his commands. When we refuse to accept the hard teachings of the cross in our lives, then we have left him, too, even if we give the appearance of still following him by holding on to what suits us and our lifestyles. Jesus asked the twelve, “You do not want to leave me too, do you?” I believe Jesus is asking of us today, “Will you leave me, too?” We can’t just go half way. Jesus wants total commitment!

You are Loving and Forgiving / An Original Work / February 19, 2012

Based off Psalm 86

You are loving and forgiving,
Jesus, Savior, King of kings.
You provided our redemption.
By Your blood You set us free.
You are gracious; full of mercy.
No deeds can compare with Yours.
Great are You; there is none like You.
Glory be to Your name.

Teach me Your way, and I’ll walk in it.
O Lord, I will walk in Your truth.
May I not have a heart divided,
That Your name I give honor to.
I will praise You, O Lord, my Savior,
For great is Your love toward me.
You have delivered me from my sins.
Your grace has pardoned me.

You, O Lord, are full of compassion,
Slow to anger, bounteous in love;
Faithful to fulfill all You promise;
Glory be to Your name above.
Hear, O Lord, and answer Your servant.
You are my God. I trust in You.
Turn to me and grant Your strength to me.
You are my comforter.

No comments: