Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

To Live is Christ



For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. ~ Phil. 1:21 NIV

Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 7:28 a.m. – The Lord woke me this morning with the song “My Sheep” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read John 12-16:4 (NIV 1984).

To the Death

Jesus told his disciples that the time had come for him to die. He used the illustration of the need of a kernel of wheat to fall into the ground and die in order for it to produce many seeds. Jesus Christ had to die so that we could be saved. Yet, the illustration was not for Jesus alone, for he also applied it to his followers. The one who loves his life of sin and of self-gratification will lose it for eternity, but the one who hates his life of sin (his worldly life), and who forsakes it, will keep his life for eternal life with God. If we want to serve Christ, we must follow him, so that wherever Jesus is, his servants will also be. To follow Jesus means “to take the same course or go in the same direction as him; to act in accordance with his life and teachings, especially with instructions or directions given by him; to imitate or do the same things as him” (based loosely off definition in Encarta).

Jesus told his disciples that one of them would betray him. Jesus clearly said it was the one to whom he would give a piece of bread when he had dipped it in the dish. He gave it to Judas, and as soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out to betray Jesus. The other disciples did not understand what Jesus was saying about Judas. Then he told his disciples that they would all fall away on account of him, though they said they would not (see Matt. 26:31). Peter told Jesus he would lay down his life for him, but Jesus told Peter that before the rooster crows, Peter would disown Jesus three times, and, as we know, he did just that.

Comfort and Assurance

Jesus’ disciples were surely feeling dismayed and discouraged at this moment. Jesus was telling them that one of them would betray him while the rest of them would all fall away, and that Peter (the rock upon whom Christ would build his church) would deny him 3 times. Even more than that, he was telling them that he was going to have to die. They were going to lose their Lord and Master whom they had been following and serving for three years. I am sure they must have wondered, “What now?” They had left everything to follow him.

So, Jesus let them know the plan. He was leaving for sure, but he would not leave them alone. He asked them to trust him. And, then he told them that when he left this earth that he would go to his Father’s house where he would prepare a place for them. Not only that, but he promised to come back and get them so that they could be with him forever! In the meanwhile, he would send someone to be with them, who was already with them, but who would now be in them. The Counselor; the Holy Spirit would teach them all things and would remind them of everything Jesus had said to them, so they were not to be afraid.

When we invite Jesus Christ into our lives as Lord and Savior, his Holy Spirit comes within us, makes his home with us, and he empowers us to die to sin and to live for God.

Thomas wanted to know the way to where Jesus was going, so Jesus said: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” We learned in John 10 that Jesus is the gate into the sheep pen (the kingdom of heaven; the true church), and that he is the Good Shepherd of the sheep who leads them and who guides them. We learned that the only true way into the kingdom of heaven is through the gate (Jesus), so he is the only way to heaven, to eternal life, to salvation from sin, and to the Father.

Love and Obey

Jesus said: “If you love me, you will obey what I command.” “Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching.”

Again, Jesus drew the line in the sand. If we say we love Jesus, we must obey him and his teachings. Then he will show himself to us and then he will love us and the Father will love us and they (Father, Son & Holy Spirit) will come into us, in the form of the Holy Spirit, and they will make their home with us. Obedience to Christ and to his commands is not optional. It is a requirement for salvation and for a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and with the Father. Obviously none of us will do it perfectly, so it is all in the approach, attitude and objective. Do we think believing in Jesus Christ just gets us a free ticket to heaven but nothing is required of us at all? Or do we understand that coming to Jesus Christ means dying to our old lives of sin and putting on our new lives in Christ and following him and his ways? Choosing the latter comes with it an understanding that it is Christ in us and the Holy Spirit within us who does the work of transformation in our hearts as we cooperate with his work, and it is not something we do for God in our own flesh to try to gain merit with God.

Remain, Obey, Bear Fruit

Jesus said we must remain in him and he will remain in us. We can’t bear fruit for Christ’s eternal kingdom unless we remain in him. He said: “This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” James said something similar to this when he said: “…faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” “Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that —and shudder.” “As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.” If we have true faith in Jesus Christ, it will be evidenced by how we live our lives in word, thought, attitude and action. And, it won’t be us doing it, i.e. it will be Christ in us living out his love and life through us as we cooperate with him and with his work. And, the only way this can happen is if we remain in him.

So, what does it mean to remain in Christ? And, why is this essential to bearing fruit? To remain means to ‘stay the course;’ “to continue in a particular state without changing; to endure” (Encarta); to last, persist, persevere, keep on, etc. To “stay the course” means to continue on a particular course in spite of all obstacles or opposition; to maintain constant, consistent and unaltered persistence in your course. And, what is the course? To “go in the same direction as Jesus Christ; to act in accordance with his life and teachings, especially with instructions or directions given by him; and to imitate or do the same things as him.” And, the reason this is essential to bearing fruit is that the fruit is not works of the flesh, but works of the Spirit of God and can only be done through him and only in our lives when we remain consistent in our walks of obedience with Christ Jesus.

Love and Hate

“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit —fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other.” ~ John 15:9-17 NIV 1984

If we obey his commands, we remain in his love. His command here is that we love each other as he has loved us. So, how did he love us? He laid his life down for us. Yet, this did not happen merely on the cross. He did this when he did not consider his equality with God something to hold on to, but he willingly left his throne in heaven, took on the nature of a servant, was made in human likeness (became flesh) and became a man (man-God). As a man, he suffered just like we suffer, was tempted in all the ways in which we are tempted, yet without sin, and he was hunted down like a criminal, was despised and rejected of men, mocked, criticized severely, hated, had false accusations made against him, and was called “crazy” and “of the devil.” And, then he became obedient to death on a cross.

So, why did they hate him so much? They hated him because he told them the truth about their sins, i.e. he testified that what the world does is evil (see John 7:7). That, too, is how he loved us!! Not only that, but he told them the hard truth about what it means to be a true follower of Christ. We must die to our old lives of sin, we must be transformed in heart and mind by the working of the Holy Spirit, and we must follow Jesus Christ (see definition of “follow” above) in obedience. That, too, is love!

The world, including the worldly church, does not want to hear that message, though. They want to believe that we can just “believe” in Jesus without it costing us anything – no repentance, no obedience required. Hogwash! Jesus said it ain’t so! We have to turn from our lives of sin and we have to walk in obedience to him if we are to remain in him, if he is to remain in us, if he is to make his home within us, and if we are to bear much fruit, showing ourselves to be his true disciples.

And, we will be hated, too, when we teach the same truths and we love others in the same way Jesus loved us. Jesus said that if the world hates us that we are to keep in mind that it hated him first. And, then he said something very telling: “If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.”

Ok, so that begs us to ask ourselves the question, “Does the world hate us?” The world is in the church, too, mind you. This is not speaking just of those outside the church. Are you hated? Or, does everyone seem to love you? If you are hated, then why are you hated? I mean, we can be hated because we are nasty people, though I often find the opposite to be true. I find that many who treat people rotten are sometimes the most loved. Weird! Or, are you hated because you do not love the sinful cravings of this world? You don’t do what everyone else does. In fact, you stand out for Christ, you share the gospel, you teach what Jesus taught, and that is why the world hates you because you are a true follower of Christ, and they hated Christ. They hated Jesus without reason, and they will hate us, too. And, in fact, some of them will put some of us out of the church, or even kill us, and they will think they are offering a service to God by getting rid of those “troublemakers.”

Yet, Jesus’ true sheep don’t follow strangers (thieves and robbers) who teach a false gospel that is friendly to the world, but they have come out of the world, which is why the world hates them. Yet, we are to be comforted, because we are being included with Christ in his sufferings, persecutions and will, perhaps, one day even be called to die for our faith.

My Sheep / An Original Work / June 24, 2012

Based off John 10:1-18 NIV

My sheep hear me. They know me.
They listen to my voice and obey.
I call them and lead them.
They know my voice, so they follow me.
They will never follow strangers.
They will run away from them.
The voice of a stranger they know not;
They do not follow him.
My sheep hear me. They know me.
They listen to my voice and obey.
I call them and lead them.
They know my voice, so they follow me.

So, I tell you the truth that
I am the gate, so you enter in.
Whoever does enter
Will find forgiveness and will be saved.
Nonetheless whoever enters
Not by the gate; other way,
He is the thief and a robber.
Listen not, the sheep to him.
So, I tell you the truth that
I am the gate, so you enter in.
Whoever does enter
Will find forgiveness and will be saved.

Oh, I am the Good Shepherd,
Who laid his own life down for the sheep.
I know them. They know me.
They will live with me eternally.
The thief only comes to steal and
Kill and to destroy the church.
I have come to give you life that
You may have it to the full.
Oh, I am the Good Shepherd,
Who laid his own life down for the sheep.
I know them. They know me.
They will live with me eternally.
They know my voice, so they follow me.

No comments: