Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Thursday, July 27, 2023

The Discipline of the Lord

Hebrews 12:4-13 ESV


“In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?


“’My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,

    nor be weary when reproved by him.

For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,

    and chastises every son whom he receives.’


“It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.


“Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.”


If we are going to resist the devil and flee temptation and die daily to sin and to self and follow our Lord in obedience to his commands, it will involve much resolve and determination and discipline that we don’t have in our flesh, but that only comes from God. And so the Lord is going to take us through difficult times, and he is going to allow us to suffer for the sake of righteousness. And through the things which we suffer, if we are willing, we will learn righteousness and holiness and godly living.


Now when it says here that we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them, I just want to state here that not everyone has had an earthly father growing up, or if they did, not everyone had a father who exercised loving discipline for our good. Some of us had very abusive fathers who were selfish and bullies and who beat up on people weaker than them, and who took advantage of those under their care. So we may not all be able to relate to having fathers who disciplined us for our good.


And some of us who had fathers as I described here had a difficult time growing up relating to having a loving Father in heaven who disciplined us for our good. And some of us may still have a difficult time even calling God “Father,” and so it is much easier for us to just call him, “Lord,” for that is who he is supposed to be to us. And so some of us have had to work through some issues related to this idea of a loving Father who disciplines us for our good, and we may wonder why he would allow us to suffer so.


For me, God had to bring me to a place in my life to where I had to learn to accept that the things which happened to me, that God allowed to make me who I am so that he can use me in the way he is now using me for his purposes and for his glory. He didn’t invent evil, and he doesn’t approve of evil, but he does allow evil to exist, and he does allow evil people to do bad things even to the righteous. But we are called to a life of suffering, for in our suffering we are humbled and we learn to love and to serve our Lord.


So, I had to learn to accept the sovereignty of God over my life and to trust him with my circumstances even when things didn’t go so well, and even when others persecuted, hated, and mistreated me for my walk of faith and obedience to the Lord. For the things we suffer in this life are all part of God’s divine discipline in our lives in order to humble us and to train us in righteousness and in holy living. But it is painful, indeed!!


But if we respond to God’s discipline in our lives with faith and not with bitterness and resentment, then that discipline will serve its purpose in our lives so that we will share in God’s holiness, and so that it will yield the peaceful fruit of righteousness in our lives, when we permit God to train us in his righteousness through the things which we suffer. So, although painful at the times we go through these difficulties, God will bring good out of them in the lives of those of us whose lives are surrendered to him.


Thus, if we are those who have been trained in holy living by these disciplines, then we should also be those who are now making straight (holy, righteous, honest, morally pure, upright and faithful) paths for us to walk in, in conduct and in practice, by God’s grace. And if any parts of our walks of faith are lacking or weak, through these disciplines those areas of our lives can be strengthened by the grace of God, in his power, strength, and wisdom, as we yield control of our lives over to the Lord.


A Believer’s Prayer 


An Original Work / July 31, 2012


With my whole heart, Lord, I pray 

To be Yours, and Yours always.

Lead me in Your truth today.

May I love You, and obey.

Lead me in Your righteousness.

When I sin, may I confess;

Bow before You when I pray;

Live for You and You always.


Love You, Jesus, You’re my friend.

Life with You will never end.

You are with me through each day,

Giving love and peace always.

You will ne’er abandon me.

From my sin You set me free.

You died on that cruel tree,

So I’d live eternally.


Soon You’re coming back for me;

From this world to set me free;

Live with You eternally.

Oh, what joy that brings to me.

I will walk with You in white;

A pure bride, I’ve been made right

By the blood of Jesus Christ;

Pardoned by His sacrifice.


https://vimeo.com/114796263

No comments: