Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Thursday, September 10, 2020

He Will Carry & He Will Save


Isaiah 46:1-2 ESV

“Bel bows down; Nebo stoops;
    their idols are on beasts and livestock;
these things you carry are borne
    as burdens on weary beasts.
They stoop; they bow down together;
    they cannot save the burden,
    but themselves go into captivity.”

Many people, although professing the name of Jesus as Savior of their lives, are still living in bondage to sin. They are still following after the false gods of this world and of the flesh of man. They are weighed down with the cares of this world and they refuse to let Jesus lift their burdens.

They have been taught a lie, and they have believed the lie, because it lets them continue living in their sin without guilt and with no requirement of repentance, obedience, or submission to Christ as Lord. So, although they claim Jesus set them free, they are still slaves to sin.

Isaiah 46:3-4 ESV

“Listen to me, O house of Jacob,
    all the remnant of the house of Israel,
who have been borne by me from before your birth,
    carried from the womb;
even to your old age I am he,
    and to gray hairs I will carry you.
I have made, and I will bear;
    I will carry and will save.”

Here the Lord is speaking to those who are his, by faith in him, some of whom have wandered off to follow the gods of this world. This is a reminder regarding to whom we belong and regarding to whom we are to give our worship, our loyalty, and our devotion.

This is also a reminder that we don’t need the things of this world to satisfy or to save us from our burdens. We are to look to no other gods of men to save us or our nation. We are not to turn to men or the things of this world to bring us comfort in trials, either.

If we have been born of the Spirit of God, then it is God who will carry us through. He is to be our only Savior, our only salvation from the evils of this world. No man or woman is to be our savior. Only God will save! Only God has the power to lift our burdens. Trust Him ONLY!

Isaiah 46:5-7 ESV

“To whom will you liken me and make me equal,
    and compare me, that we may be alike?
Those who lavish gold from the purse,
    and weigh out silver in the scales,
hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god;
    then they fall down and worship!
They lift it to their shoulders, they carry it,
    they set it in its place, and it stands there;
    it cannot move from its place.
If one cries to it, it does not answer
    or save him from his trouble.”

Amen! I love how this passage of Scripture details the utter absurdity of trusting in the gods of this world to save us. No man or woman president of any nation has the power to save us from what ails us. If we are trusting in a human being to save us, then it is futile.

No sin addiction can bring us comfort and peace and safety. No entertainment can bring us lasting joy. No amount of “stuff” can bring us satisfaction and security, for it can all go up in flames in a moment of time. Our trust has to be fully in God and in no one and nothing else.

Isaiah 46:8-13 ESV

“Remember this and stand firm,
    recall it to mind, you transgressors,
    remember the former things of old;
for I am God, and there is no other;
    I am God, and there is none like me,
declaring the end from the beginning
    and from ancient times things not yet done,
saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,
    and I will accomplish all my purpose,’
calling a bird of prey from the east,
    the man of my counsel from a far country.
I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass;
    I have purposed, and I will do it.

“Listen to me, you stubborn of heart,
    you who are far from righteousness:
I bring near my righteousness; it is not far off,
    and my salvation will not delay;
I will put salvation in Zion,
    for Israel my glory.”

You who are trusting in the gods of this world, in your idols, and in your sinful habits to bring you comfort, peace and safety, think again. You who are trusting in a false gospel taught by false teachers, thinking you can continue living in sin without punishment, think again.

Bring to remembrance the teachings of the Scriptures and the history of mankind and what happened to those who opposed God and/or who chose their idols over God, or who looked to men to save them instead of looking to God. It did not go well for them.

Our God is still on the throne. Amen! Our God is still completely sovereign. He is Lord over all. His will will be accomplished! Amen! It doesn’t matter who you vote for. The Lord is still going to do what he is going to do. He may bring in someone else not even on the ballot.

Don’t be bullheaded. Don’t be stubborn and self-willed. Don’t hold on to your sins and your idols of men, thinking they will save you or that they will bring you comfort and joy. Trust in the Lord only for your salvation and for your peace and safety.

Jesus, I am Resting, Resting  

Hymn lyrics by Jean Sophia Pigott, 1876
Music by James Mountain, pub.1876

Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.

O, how great Thy loving kindness,
Vaster, broader than the sea!
O, how marvelous Thy goodness,
Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Belovèd,
Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
And have made it mine.

Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart;
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings:
Thine is love indeed!

Ever lift Thy face upon me
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting ‘neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
Earth’s dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father’s glory,
Sunshine of my Father’s face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting,
Fill me with Thy grace.

Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.

*Caution: This link may contain ads

No comments: