Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Thursday, September 20, 2012

With God


Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 10:10 a.m. – the Lord woke me this morning with the song “Blessed Are You” playing through my mind. I read Philippians 1:12-30 (NIV 1984):

Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.

It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.

Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.

An Opportunity

A couple of days ago a music producer approached me about making a professional CD of some of my (the Lord’s) songs. I declined, because I assumed making a CD would be for the purpose of profiting financially from the CD, and that is not what I am looking to do. I said, in response to him: “Gerry, I appreciate your kind and encouraging words. The Biblical premise behind what I do is this: "Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Ephesians 5:19-20 NIV). I don't write for profit, but for the glory of God and the encouragement of the saints of God. So, all the songs are in the public domain. That is the way I believe God wants me to use this gift he has given to me. The songs are available free of charge to anyone who wants to record them. And, I give all the praise, honor and glory to God for how he chooses to use them in people's lives. Again, thanks so much! Your words have ministered to my heart.”

He replied: “From my experience the best way to get your songs out there is to record a professionally done CD with you as the vocalist. It's something you should pray about and let God guide you. You can always stay in touch by email or even call me. There's never any obligation, I'm happy to share free advice and guidance and then let the Lord use you in the way He feels works best. May you and others be continually blessed with this gift He's given you.”

So, I committed this opportunity as a matter for prayer. In my thinking out loud to the Lord, I mentioned to him how it appears that the songs are not yet reaching a broad audience, yet I know that God could be taking them places of which I am not aware. Just then the Lord put the old A.B. Simpson hymn, “The Regions Beyond” in my mind - http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/r/e/regionsb.htm.  I knew God put that hymn in my mind in response to my prayer to him, but I was not sure if he was saying that he is already taking the songs to the regions beyond, i.e. to places of which I am unaware, or if he wants me to take them to the regions beyond in response to this music producer’s request that I pray about making a CD of the songs.

Just as I wrote this, the Lord brought this scripture to my mind: “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible” (Matt. 19:26). And, as I just recorded that verse, the Lord brought another verse to mind, “‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the LORD Almighty” (Zech. 4:6b).

A Needed Miracle

I told my husband last night that if this were to really happen, it would take a miracle of God to see it to completion, i.e. from the finances necessary, to the voice to sing, to the transportation and housing in Nashville, and to getting the CDs in hands that would get them out to people “in the regions beyond,” etc. Yet, I still don’t know if the answer to my prayer is that God is already doing this supernaturally in a way that man could not possibly do it, or if God is wanting me to trust him with this venture because he can work miracles where man cannot.

After the Lord put the song “The Regions Beyond” in my mind, he put the song “God will Make a Way” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQQrYrtD2Zs. This song fits well with the scripture from Matthew 19 about all things being possible with God. The song also appears to suggest that this is something new that God is going to do that he is not already doing.

Clearly the Lord is telling me that he will make a way for these songs to go to the regions beyond. Yet, I may never see how he is accomplishing this. Still he may have a plan for me to be personally involved in the process of taking the songs to the regions beyond, where it is impossible with man, but fully possible with God.

Lord, I trust you to show me what you have in mind here. Am I to keep doing what I have been doing and just trust that you are taking the songs where you want them, or is there something additional that you have for me to do? I know that you are the one who is orchestrating the whole process, beginning to end, so I will wait on you to show me what you have for me to do. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.

Served to Advance the Gospel

It is so fitting that this should be my passage for today, since the Lord had spoken to me through the hymn “The Regions Beyond” concerning taking the gospel in song to places where the message of the true gospel has not yet been told. Paul said here that what had happened to him, i.e. his persecutions, trials, beatings and imprisonments helped serve to advance the gospel. Because of Paul’s chains, other followers of Christ were encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly, which then advanced the gospel, so it was kind of like a domino effect.

So, I considered before the Lord how this might fit with this proposal made to me to make a professional CD of some of the songs the Lord has given to me to write, and also how it might fit with taking the gospel in song to the regions beyond.

Truly it is because of previous persecution and rejection in today’s institutional church that I am where I am, doing what I am doing, i.e. if I had been accepted in a church I would probably still be there confined to those areas of ministry within that local congregation. But, God had other plans for me. He allowed me to be persecuted and rejected more than once so that I would call on him in prayer and anguish of heart and seek his face for what he had for my life, and in that time of anguish in prayer he began to open my heart to a new ministry of writing what he gives me each day and posting it on the internet, so, in a way, I have been going to the regions beyond for the past six + years. Yet, I get a sense that there is more that God has for me, which is why the messages have been “Go,” “God will make a way,” and “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

So, I ask for your prayers for me that God will make a way where there seems to be no way for these messages in song to reach to the regions beyond, whether or not I am physically involved in that process in any way other than just to do what I have already been doing.

Paul said that he believed that through the prayers of the saints of God what had happened to him would turn out for his deliverance. I believe God is saying the same thing to me, that the persecution that sent me to seek God’s face and ultimately led to this present ministry will and already is serving to advance the gospel, and that this ministry of writing and song is already being blessed of God in so many ways, and will continue to be, whether in my life or in my death, for to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain, for either way I am with Christ.

Whatever Happens

Whatever happens to me or to you, or whatever God leads me to do or not do, the important thing is that we continue (or begin) to conduct our lives in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ Jesus, our Lord. It is invaluable that we stand firm in one spirit in Christ, contending as one person for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose us, because God can make a way where there seems to be no way, because he works in ways we cannot see, and I know he is making a way for you and me and for his gospel to go to the regions beyond.

I would not be where I am today if I gave way to the fear of man, yet it was the opposition of man that sent me to my knees and that led me to hear God’s voice speaking clearly to my heart in leading me to do what I am doing today. So, I thank the Lord for those times of persecution and rejection and opposition for they helped serve to advance the gospel.

Blessed Are You / An Original Work / August 29, 2012

Based off Luke 6:20-49 NIV 1984

“Blessed are you;
Blessed are you who are poor
For God’s kingdom is yours.
(Kingdom is yours)
Blessed are you;
Blessed are you who are hungry,
You’ll be satisfied.
(Be satisfied)
Blessed are you;
Blessed are you who weep now,
For you will laugh with joy.
(Will laugh with joy)
Blessed are you;
Blessed are you when men hate
And reject you because of Christ.”
(Because of Christ)

“Rejoice in that;
Rejoice in that day and
Leap for joy; great your reward.
(Great your reward)
But I tell you;
But I tell you to love those
Who hate you; do them good.
(Do good to them)
Pray for those who;
Pray for those who treat you wrong
And say kind things of them.
(Kind things of them)
Do to others;
Do to others as you would have
Them do; have them do to you.”
(Them do to you)

“If you love those;
If you love those who love you,
What praise is there for you?
(What praise for you?)
Because Christ is;
Because Christ is kind,
Be merciful, just like He is.
(Just like He is)
Forgive others;
Forgive others their offense
Against you; be ye kind.
(Be kind to them)
Hear My words and;
Hear My words and put them
Into practice, then you’ll be fulfilled.”
(You’ll be fulfilled)


No comments: