Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Monday, May 14, 2012

Without Warning


Monday, May 14, 2012, 7:58 a.m. – The Lord woke me this morning with the song “Broken and Contrite” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Matthew 8 (quoting vv. 23-27 NIV ’84):

Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”

He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

My Understanding: A man with leprosy came and knelt before Jesus. He said: “Lord, if you are willing, make me clean.” Jesus reached out and touched the man and said, “I am willing, be clean!” Immediately the man was cured of his leprosy.

A centurion came to Jesus asking him for help for his servant. His servant was paralyzed and was suffering terribly. The centurion approached Jesus very humbly and with great faith, believing that just at the word of Jesus his servant would be healed. Jesus said he had not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. Jesus told the centurion, “Go! It will be done just as you believed it would.”

Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law, who was in bed with a fever. He healed the sick and drove out demonic spirits out of the demon-possessed. Matthew said that Jesus’ healing ministry was a fulfillment of the prophet Isaiah’s words concerning Jesus, as recorded in Isaiah 53:4a: “He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases.” From Isaiah 53:

Vv. 4-5: “Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed” (NIV ’84).  V.4a: “Surely our griefs He Himself bore, and our sorrows He carried” (NASB). Amen!

Grief and Sorrows

I was praying and crying through some situations in my life yesterday, seeking the Lord’s wisdom, counsel and direction, and asking him to cleanse me of all impurities when he gave me the words to this song, “Broken and Contrite,” which expresses so well the prayer of my heart to him right now. Jesus also spoke to me through this passage in Matthew 8, and especially through this passage in Isaiah 53 (Hebrews, too) where we learn that Jesus suffered and died, not just for our sins, but also for our grief and sorrows, so that he could become our compassionate, merciful and faithful high priest who sympathizes with us in our weaknesses, who comforts us in our sorrows, and who heals our broken hearts.

I noted the approach that the various people took in seeking healing for themselves or for others. First of all they came to Jesus. When we are broken in heart and spirit, we need to take it to Jesus, because he is our Lord, friend, comforter, counselor and healer. They also came humbly to Jesus. The man with leprosy knelt (bowed) before Jesus, demonstrating a humble and submissive spirit. The centurion was not seeking help for himself, but for his servant. He also acknowledged that there was nothing within himself deserving to have the Lord Jesus even coming under his roof (into his house). We, too, need to approach Jesus with much humility and honesty concerning ourselves.

They asked Jesus to heal, i.e. they made specific requests to Jesus, and he answered their requests because of their faith. They were both confident in Jesus’ ability to heal. And, because of their faith, Jesus did as they requested. Jesus reached out and touched the man with leprosy, commanded the man to be clean, and immediately he was made clean. At the very word of Jesus, the centurion’s servant was healed. Jesus said: “Go! It will be done just as you believed it would.” The man’s servant was healed that same hour.

And, we need to ask him to heal us, too, and not just of physical diseases, but of broken hearts and spirits, too. I believe if we approach the Lord Jesus humbly, submissively, selflessly, and in faith, believing that he will heal, that he will bring much healing. Healing takes on many forms. I have seen the Lord Jesus miraculously heal people physically, myself included. I have seen him miraculously heal broken hearts and wounded spirits, myself included. And, I have seen him deliver from demonic oppression, myself included, though I have not yet seen someone delivered from demonic possession, though I have witnessed demonic possession in a person. Yet, I also know of those with great faith who were never healed physically in this life, but were given much healing in other ways, some of whom were taken home to be with Jesus forever and received their healing in heaven.

Winds and Waves

The disciples were in a literal boat facing a literal furious storm with real wind and waves. The storm came without warning. Jesus was physically asleep on the boat. He was completely God but he was also fully man. He got tired and he slept. The disciples were afraid of the storm, so they woke the Lord up. They called on him to save them. That was good, but they did so out of fear that they were going to drown, so they lacked faith. Jesus chided them, too, for their lack of faith: “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Yet, despite their fear and lack of (or weak) faith, Jesus still responded to their request. He got up and rebuked the wind and waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed that even the winds and waves obeyed Jesus.

In this life (in our boats) we will also face many furious (ferocious; vehement) storms (tempests; outbursts; eruptions; commotions; tumult; upheaval; and/or disturbances). Satan uses these to try to get us to sin against God, to grow weak in our faith or to challenge our faith, and/or to try to get us to back down and to give up trying. Yet, God uses these upheavals and disturbances in our lives, which often come at us without warning, to mold us, purify us, and to make us into the people of God he wants us to be.

We learn in 1 Thess. 3 that we are not to be unsettled by the trials of life, for we are destined for them. Jesus told us we would go through difficulties, persecutions, etc. In James 1 we learn that we should “consider it pure joy” when we “face trials of many kinds,” because the testing of our faith “develops perseverance,” and “perseverance must finish its work” in us, so that we may be “mature and complete, not lacking anything.” In 1 Peter 1 we learn that when we suffer grief in all kinds of trials that we are to greatly rejoice, because “These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire —may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.” So, trials (storms) are good for us. They help develop godly character within us when we respond correctly to these tumultuous times in life.

Without Warning

The storm came without warning. I believe that these are the most difficult trials of all, because they catch us off guard, they come in through the back door or the side, are unexpected, and we are not adequately prepared for how to handle them. A sudden illness or death in the family might fit into this category. A failing grade in school or on a test when there was no prior indication that we were not passing might fit here, too. A spouse suddenly announcing he or she is leaving his or her spouse because the person leaving no longer “loves,” i.e. no longer has the same feelings he or she once had toward the respective spouse, would hit hard.

Trusting that someone is telling you the truth, and thus giving your heart and emotion to that person only to find out the person was lying and feels just the opposite than what he or she had previously expressed, and so you feel betrayed, is definitely at the top of this list. Betrayal, I believe, has much more severe pain associated with it than the death of a loved one or of a spouse, because rejection and a feeling of being unloved and/or even replaced by another goes along with lies and betrayal of any kind, adultery included.

As well, if you are telling the truth and people think you are lying, and so they don’t believe you or they accuse you falsely, that can be very harmful. Or you might have in your mind that something is going a certain direction and all of a sudden someone throws you a curve ball and you don’t know how to respond. That, too, fits with storms that come out of nowhere, and for which we are unprepared to know how to give the correct response.

Sometimes we hurt others when we don’t respond with the calmness and grace we would hope would come forth from us at such times. Often we are hurt when the storms themselves come at us with such fierceness, or when our responses to the storms of life are met with resistance. I wish I could say that I always respond to the winds and waves of my life with much grace and charm (winsomeness), but alas, I don’t always. Sometimes the things of this life come at me out of left field when my mind is completely someplace else and I am caught totally unprepared for how to give a correct response. And, sometimes I could literally kick myself because I either hurt someone or else I think that I should have responded better. And, that causes me emotional pain, too.

Yet, often God will allow these “storms” as a way to purify us, i.e. as a way to reveal to us what is in our hearts that needs God’s cleansing or healing power to work miracles. The Bible says that what comes out of our mouths comes from what is in our hearts. Sometimes what is in our hearts is fear, which is lack of faith, a wounded heart and spirit not yet healed, sinful attitudes or thoughts, unforgiveness, resentment, and/or pride, etc. So, when our responses to these storms that come out of left field are less than gracious and winsome, we need to do a heart examination before God to have him show us what is in our hearts so that he can heal our infirmities, sorrows, grief, iniquities and transgressions. In other words, this is spiritual and emotional healing that is needed here, not physical healing.

Sometimes, by our prayers and responses we may be essentially saying the same thing to Jesus as did his disciples. We may think Jesus is not in control and that he is not paying attention to what is going on in our lives. But, he is very much in control and he always knows what is going on, and allows it to go on, in fact, because he has a work he wants to do in our hearts and through our lives, if we are willing. Jesus said that if we have faith even as small as a mustard seed, we can move mountains. The father of a boy who had a deaf and mute spirit in him asked Jesus to deliver his son, if he could. Jesus responded by telling the man that “everything is possible for him who believes.” The boy’s father then responded by saying: “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” Jesus honored that prayer. We are not to vacillate in our faith, yet I do believe God will honor even the smallest amount of faith that is humble, submissive and seeks to have increased faith.

Jesus is our great physician, and he can heal any amount of pain, suffering, sorrow, grief, sin problem, and/or broken hearts and wounded spirits. The “winds and waves” of our lives must and will obey him, as well. We just have to call on him in prayer, with humble and submissive hearts, willing to obey, and with our “mustard seed” faith, asking him to help us and to save us out of (not necessarily from) our troubles, and to fill our hearts with his peace and calm. And, he will answer, and he will rebuke the storms within us. This is the prayer of my heart:

Broken and Contrite / An Original Work / May 13, 2012

I come before You, Lord, my Savior,
With humble heart and crushed in spirit.
I bow before You, I implore You,
Heal my broken heart, I pray.
Love You, Jesus, Lord, my master,
You are the King of my heart.
Lord, purify my heart within me;
Sanctify me, whole within.
I come before You, Lord, my Savior,
With humble heart and crushed in spirit.
I bow before You, I implore You,
Heal my broken heart, I pray.

Oh, Lord, I long to obey fully
The words You’ve spoken through Your Spirit.
I pray You give me grace and mercy,
Strength and wisdom to obey.
Father God, my heart’s desire,
Won’t You set my heart on fire?
Lord, cleanse my heart of all that hinders
My walk with You, now I pray.
Oh, Lord, I long to obey fully
The words You’ve spoken through Your Spirit.
I pray You give me grace and mercy,
Strength and wisdom to obey.

Oh, Jesus, Savior, full of mercy,
My heart cries out for understanding.
I want to follow You in all ways,
Never straying from Your truth.
Holy Spirit, come in power,
Fill me with Your love today.
Lord, mold and make me;
Your hands formed me;
Live Your life through me, I pray.
Oh, Jesus, Savior, full of mercy,
My heart cries out for understanding.
I want to follow You in all ways,
Never straying from Your truth.


No comments: