Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My Best Friend Ever!


Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 8:00 a.m. – My four year old grandson came into my room to wake me this morning. He said he was hungry. I was in one of those deep “coma-like” sleeps and dreaming, so it took me a few minutes to respond to him. I then went out to the kitchen to help him get his breakfast. I sat down and ate with him. Then, I noticed the dishwasher needed emptying, so he helped me empty it. He gets impatient sometimes and tries to do things faster than what I move, so I told him to “have patience,” and then I sang to him a children’s song I had learned when my kids were small – “Patience” (Herbert the Snail) – Music Machine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kn6Z2Mop5I.

I wanted to play the song for Samuel. I thought the song was on one of our “Patch the Pirate” tapes (more children’s songs from my kids’ era), but alas, it was not. Samuel seemed interested in hearing the tapes (pre-CDs, IPods and the like) I had, and the songs on them, so I began to play the “Goes to the Jungle” one for him, which had a little boy named Samuel as one of the characters, which was nice. I sat down with him and listened to the first part of the tape. Just as I was about to go back to my room to have my quiet time with the Lord, a song began to play that I really like, called “My Very Best Friend.”

The Lord had placed the song “Just a Closer Walk with Thee” in my mind this morning upon awakening, so when I went back to my room, and the words to “My Very Best Friend” were still playing in my mind, I realized that both songs were about Jesus, and about our close walk and relationship with him, and I thought how “cool” of God to direct me to that song, as well. [I typed up the words from what I heard on the tape, so not necessarily perfect.]

Then, I sat down to have my quiet time with the Lord. I was praying through some things in my life, asking the Lord for direction, mainly having to do with balancing and prioritizing my time in the way the Lord would want. I felt led to go back through the previous chapters in Matthew to see what he had been teaching me already. He stopped me at Matthew 10:26-42. I read the passage. It was definitely God’s answer to my prayer. The Lord’s words to me this morning gave me much peace and assurance.

I had read Matthew 16 yesterday and part of 17 last night. I knew the Lord was leading me this morning to a passage concerning our relationship with Jesus Christ, so when I got to Matthew 18 I realized this is where I was supposed to be reading, how it paralleled the passage in Matthew 10, and how it fit with singing children’s songs this morning, and with time spent with my grandson, etc. The Lord was preparing my heart for what he wanted to teach me this morning.

Matthew 18:1-9 (NIV 1984): At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

“And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

“Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to sin! Such things must come, but woe to the man through whom they come! If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.

My Understanding: Little children are not perfect any more than we are. They don’t always have the purest of motives or intent. They don’t always immediately obey their Mommies and/or Daddies. So, what is it about little children that Jesus was referring when he told his disciples that unless they change and become like little children, they will not enter the kingdom of heaven?

For one, I believe really small children are very teachable. They seem to hear the voice of God easier than many adults, they trust more easily, believe more easily, and have greater faith than most adults. Their minds are not clogged up with so much useless junk, knowledge, philosophies, etc. as the minds of educated and/or life-experienced adults. They don’t have to filter what they hear from God through so much life experience and human or even Biblical head knowledge. So, they can just trust the Lord and accept what he says.

The disciples’ thinking seemed to not reflect this kind of child-like faith and trust. They were concerned with their positions in heaven, i.e. who would be the greatest. Children are not immune to this, so this is not to say that children never struggle with wanting to be first or more important than others. They do. They have human natures, too, just like us. Yet, there is a simplicity about them that can symbolize humility of spirit which is exemplified in their child-like trust and their teachability. The disciples evidently were lacking in this kind of simple trust and faith because they were missing the point of heaven. They were thinking with earthly minds instead of with heavenly thinking (more like a young child).

Parallels in Matthew 10

Jesus had just finished telling his disciples (Matthew 10) that he was sending them out like sheep among wolves. He told them of how they would be hated, persecuted, arrested, brought before councils and flogged in synagogues, betrayed, rejected and treated as an enemy even by their own family members, but that those who stood firm to the end would be saved. Some of them would even be accused of being of Satan, just like had happened to Jesus and to John the Baptist. Yet, Jesus said they were not to fear persecution or opposition from sinful man, but whatever the Lord said to them privately, in their times alone with him, in those quiet and still moments, they were to proclaim openly and publicly. He told them that whoever acknowledges him before men, he will acknowledge before his Father, but whoever disowns him before men, he will disown before his Father.

Then, Jesus said (as recorded in Matt. 10): “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”

This is the kind of child-like faith, humility and trust in Jesus that Jesus was talking about in Matthew 18. It has to do with totally abandoning, i.e. completely and unreservedly giving ourselves over to Jesus Christ, like a child will do when he completely trusts someone. The child shows no fear, but will even jump into the air trusting you to catch him, only sometimes without warning you first. J He is not consumed with himself at that moment but can only think of the joy of being in your loving arms. That is the way we are to love Jesus. And, truly he is the only one deserving of such unbridled love and devotion. When we let go of our old lives of sin and we jump into new life with Jesus, then we truly find our lives. He must be in first place in our lives above all else, and his approval of us should always matter more to us than whether or not man (or woman) approves and accepts us. What positions we hold or who is most important does not matter anymore.

Welcome “Little Ones”

Jesus had just finished (Matthew 18) telling his disciples that they must humble themselves like a child in order to enter the kingdom of heaven. Then, he said that whoever welcomes a little child like this (like he exemplified) in his name welcomes him. The next sentence explains the meaning of child as “little ones” who believe in Jesus, so Jesus is referring not just to small children here, but to all who have come to Christ with such child-like faith. He is not meaning at all those who merely claim to have faith in Christ, but all those who have humbled themselves, have repented of their sins, and who have abandoned their lives of sin in order to walk in humble and faithful obedience to Jesus Christ. When we welcome Jesus’ true disciples and we don’t reject, despise, persecute, devalue, and/or dishonor them, we are welcoming him. He said that whatever we do to those who are his followers it is like we are doing it to him (see Matt. 10). Whoever receives us receives Jesus, and he who receives Jesus receives the Father. And if one gives a “cup of cold water” to the “little ones” because they are Jesus’ disciples, he will not lose his reward. A cup of cold water is meant to quench one’s thirst, so this means to offer refreshment, i.e. to encourage, revive, energize, extend kindness and revitalize the Lord’s disciples, the opposite of rejection and persecution.

Cause to Sin

Yet, if anyone goes beyond just rejection and persecution, which is hurtful enough, to actually causing (leading) one of Jesus’ disciples to fall into sin, he or she stands in danger of God’s judgment on him. Having a millstone tied around your neck and drowned in the depths of the sea would pale by comparison to the judgment of God that would await you. Jesus takes sin very seriously. Jesus said “Woe” (anguish; grief; affliction; distress) to the world because of what things cause sin. Satan is the author of sin, he tempts us to sin with his lies and deceptions, and our own sin natures are what lead us into sin. As well, sinful attitudes, unforgiveness, hatred, lust, poor judgment, sinful desires of the flesh, golden opportunities to sin, the worldliness in the church, sinful practices of church leaders, peer pressure, the availability of movies, TV, videos, the internet, smart phones, tablets and the like at our finger tips where we can access the whole world of sin are “things” that lead us to sin. Yet sin is truly a heart issue and is a decision of our own hearts and minds. Outside of faith in Jesus Christ, we are doomed to eternity in hell (eternal punishment; woe). Even with Christ, if we fall into sin and don’t repent, we should experience some level of anguish or distress because of our sin. Sin hurts us and hurts others. That is pain enough!

Then Jesus said something that I believe, Biblically, applies to all sin. Jesus frequently used hyperboles in his illustrations to make a point. A hyperbole is “a deliberate and obvious exaggeration used for effect” (Encarta). And, in this case, he stated that if a part of our bodies caused or led us into sin, such as our eyes or hands, we were to gouge them out (the eye) or cut them off (the hand or foot) and throw them away. He argued that it was better to lose one part of one’s body, rather than the whole body to be thrown into hell because of a sinful lifestyle. This has its counterpart in these passages of scripture:

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us” (Heb. 12:1).

“Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you” (Jms. 1:21; cf. Eph. 4:31; Col. 3:8; 1 Pet. 2:1).

We are not only to get rid of the sin, but we are to throw off everything (burden or hindrance) that hinders our walk with Christ, i.e. that leads us into sin. We need to rid ourselves of those hindrances to our faithful walks of obedience to Christ Jesus. And, we need to run with perseverance the race marked out for us to run, in repentance, faithfulness and obedience to Christ, so that we can have that “closer walk” with Christ. We must know that Jesus Christ is the very best friend we will ever have. And, we need to treat him like he is really our very best friend, too, which includes forsaking our sins, following him in obedience, and treating others as though what we are doing we are doing to Jesus Christ.

Just a Closer Walk with Thee / Unknown

I am weak, but Thou art strong,
Jesus, keep me from all wrong,
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

My Very Best Friend / Ron Hamilton – “Patch the Pirate”

Jesus is closer than a brother.
Every moment he is near.
I know he never will forsake me.
He has conquered all my fear.
Jesus is closer than a brother.
On his love I can depend.
King of kings, Lord of lords,
Conquering Son, oh, all of these,
He’s my very best friend.

No comments: