Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Thursday, July 5, 2018

My Strength and Song


On That Day
Isaiah 12:1-3 NASB

Then you will say on that day,
“I will give thanks to You, O Lord;
For although You were angry with me,
Your anger is turned away,
And You comfort me.

“That day” is both a reference to a time of judgment, as well as it refers to a time of salvation following judgment. There is both the sense that this is about the judgment we are all under, due to our sin natures, and that it is a time of judgment on God’s people who have wandered away from their pure devotion, and thus God disciplined them in order to bring them back.

This passage of scripture is also a reference to the time of the Messiah, Jesus Christ, and of judgment in these last days before he returns (See chapter 11). But, even then, there is the hope of salvation for those who turn to follow Jesus Christ and his ways – who get on his highway.

Basically, due to the fall of Adam, the first man, we have all been under the curse of sin (See: Ro. 5:12-19; 1 Co. 15:21-22, 42-49). We are separate from God, without hope, and bound for hell. We are under God’s wrath.

And, in our human nature we cannot do anything to earn or to deserve God’s approval or his salvation. Only through the blood of Jesus Christ, shed on a cross for our sins, and through faith in Him, can any of us be saved from our sins, and have the hope of eternal life with God in heaven (See: Rom. 3:23; Rom. 6:23; Eph. 2:8-10).

My Salvation
Isaiah 12:2-3 NASB

“Behold, God is my salvation,
I will trust and not be afraid;
For the Lord God is my strength and song,
And He has become my salvation.”
Therefore you will joyously draw water
From the springs of salvation.

Yes, there is hope! We do not have to remain in our sins, for God has provided for us a way of salvation via the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, God the Son. Many years ago (about 2,000 years), he who was without sin became sin for us when he was put to death on a cross. So, when he died, our sins died with him, and when he was resurrected back to life, he rose victorious over sin, hell, Satan and death, on our behalf.

Because of what Jesus Christ did for us on that cross, and via his resurrection, by God-given faith in him, we can also die to sin and be resurrected with him to newness of life in him, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness (See: Rom. 6:1-23; Eph. 4:17-24).

But, this faith in Jesus Christ is not an emotional experience, or an intellectual assent to who Jesus Christ is. It is also not a one-time experience, but it is a lifestyle (See: Rom. 8:1-17; Lu. 9:1-23; 1 Jn. 1:5-9).

Thus, faith in Jesus Christ means we turn from our sinful lifestyles to follow Jesus Christ in obedience and in surrender to his will for our lives. Now, by the Spirit, we walk according to the ways of the Lord and no longer according to the ways of our sinful flesh. We may still sin sometimes (See: 1 Jn. 2:1-2), but sin should no longer be what rules our lives. Jesus Christ should now be on the throne of our lives, and the one directing our steps.

Shout for Joy!
Isaiah 12:4-6 NASB

And in that day you will say,
“Give thanks to the Lord, call on His name.
Make known His deeds among the peoples;
Make them remember that His name is exalted.”
Praise the Lord in song, for He has done excellent things;
Let this be known throughout the earth.
Cry aloud and shout for joy, O inhabitant of Zion,
For great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.

When we trust in Jesus Christ to be Lord (owner-master) and Savior of our lives, a spiritual transformation takes place in our hearts, and our desire is no longer to live to please our flesh, but it is for God, to please him. This is called being “born again.” We are turned from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that we receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are being made holy by faith in Jesus Christ (See: Ac. 26:16-18; Jn. 3:1-21).

When this spiritual transformation takes place, we automatically should want to tell others what Jesus Christ did for us and what he has done for them in putting their sins to death on that cross so that they can be free from the control of sin over their lives, live in righteousness, and have the hope of eternal life with God in heaven (See: Ac. 1:8). We will want others to know Jesus Christ, too, and to be filled with his Holy Spirit.

For, you see, when we trust Jesus Christ with our lives, not only do we receive forgiveness of sins and the promise of heaven when we die, and not only have we been given freedom over sin’s deceitfulness, but God, in the person of his Holy Spirit, comes to live within our lives. The Spirit now living within us leads us into all truth, directs our steps, comforts us and teaches us all things we need for godly and holy living, which is pleasing to God.

But, faith in Jesus Christ is not a casual thing. It is a change in lifestyle. It is walking in the fear (honor, respect) of the Lord. Thus, we must repent of our sins and turn to walk with Jesus Christ in his ways and in his truth if we want his salvation and eternal life with him. For, if we do not, we don’t have the hope of eternal life with God, but a fearful expectation of judgment and of fire (See: Lu. 9:23-25; Rom. 8:1-17; Gal. 5:19-21; Gal. 6:7-8).

So, make sure today that the faith that you have is the kind of faith that is God-given, and that is heart and life transforming, and that it is continuous. And, then tell others about what Jesus did for you, so that they can come to know him, too. This is the kindest and most loving thing you can do.

Broken and Contrite  
An Original Work / May 13, 2012

I come before You, Lord, my Savior,
With humble heart and crushed in spirit.
I bow before You, I implore You,
Heal my broken heart, I pray.
Love You, Jesus, Lord, my master,
You are the King of my heart.
Lord, purify my heart within me;
Sanctify me, whole within.

Oh, Lord, I long to obey fully
The words You’ve spoken through Your Spirit.
I pray You give me grace and mercy,
Strength and wisdom to obey.
Father God, my heart’s desire,
Won’t You set my heart on fire?
Lord, cleanse my heart of all that hinders
My walk with You, now I pray.

Oh, Jesus, Savior, full of mercy,
My heart cries out for understanding.
I want to follow You in all ways,
Never straying from Your truth.
Holy Spirit, come in power,
Fill me with Your love today.
Lord, mold and make me;
Your hands formed me;
Live Your life through me, I pray.


Thursday, July 5, 2018 – Thank You, Jesus, for this teaching from Your Word. May we all walk in Your ways and in Your truth forever, amen!

No comments: