Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Monday, May 27, 2013

Teach Me Your Ways

Monday, May 27, 2013, 4:30 a.m. – After I woke this morning, the Lord Jesus put the song “In Faithfulness He Leads Me” in my heart and mind. Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read John 7 (NIV): http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%207&version=NIV

As I read and prayed through this passage of scripture, trusting the Lord Jesus to give me his understanding, the Lord led me to look at some of the examples he set before us concerning “his ways,” by which we should learn and seek to follow in his footsteps. The following describes some of those ways modeled for us by the life of Jesus.

God’s ways, not man’s ways

After this, Jesus went around in Galilee. He did not want to go about in Judea because the Jewish leaders there were looking for a way to kill him. But when the Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Leave Galilee and go to Judea, so that your disciples there may see the works you do. No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” For even his own brothers did not believe in him.

Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil. You go to the festival. I am not going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.” After he had said this, he stayed in Galilee.

Humans will always have their ideas of who we should be, what we should believe and practice, how we should behave, the kind of work we should do, how we should spend our time, and what we should say or not say, etc. And, they may even try to impose their value systems, their theologies, and/or their humanistic teachings, logic and reasoning upon us. To a certain degree we are all subject to other humans in that we must obey those in authority over us, we must work and live with others, and we should try to live peacefully with all people, as much as it is within our power to do so. Yet, we must not live our lives to be pleasing to humans in that we compromise who God created us to be, what he has called us to do, or the beliefs and standards taught us in scripture. We must answer to a higher authority, namely God. And, we must live to please him above all else, even if it means being hated by worldly people (even other Christians) because of our stand for Christ.

Give credit where credit is due

Not until halfway through the festival did Jesus go up to the temple courts and begin to teach. The Jews there were amazed and asked, “How did this man get such learning without having been taught?”

Jesus answered, “My teaching is not my own. It comes from the one who sent me. Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him. Has not Moses given you the law? Yet not one of you keeps the law. Why are you trying to kill me?”

When we read or study the scriptures it should not be for the purpose of gaining intellectual knowledge, to impress people with our learnedness, and/or to win Biblical arguments. When we read and study the scriptures, we should always pray for the Holy Spirit of God to open our minds and hearts to hear from him, and for him to give us the understanding and practical application he would have us receive from the scriptures that day. The word of God is not just a manual (rule book) for Christian living or a history book. The word of God is God-breathed and it is alive and active! It encourages, strengthens, convicts, comforts, teaches, exhorts and trains us in righteousness. Because it is alive and active, and because Jesus is alive and his Spirit lives within us, God still speaks to his people today, applying his truths to our circumstances, guiding us in the way we should go, giving direction, the calling of God on our lives, wisdom, discernment, and speaking his truths to our hearts.

So, when we share the scriptures, we should share the understanding given to us by the Holy Spirit of God, to the best of what we comprehend. We should not teach our own humanistic philosophies, but we should share as we have been taught by the Lord. If we speak in our own human wisdom and reasoning, then the glory goes to us, but if we speak what we have heard from the Lord, then we speak for the glory of God, and we should always give him all the glory, honor and praise. Most importantly, we should live what we say we believe, because actions speak louder than words. We should not study just for knowledge, and we should not study, as well, just to teach others, but when we learn from the Lord at his feet each day, we should apply his truths to our lives – to our attitudes, thoughts and behaviors, which should be daily guided by the Spirit, not by our own flesh.

In Faithfulness He Leads Me / An Original Work / March 20, 2013

Based off Various Scriptures
(Ps. 26:3; 86:11; 91:4-5; 111:7-8; 119:73-76;
Is. 25:1,4&9; 42:6-7; Hos. 2:16-20)

Teach me Your ways, Lord, and I’ll walk in them.
Give me a pure heart. I’ll fear Your name.
Your love is always, ever before me.
Continually I’ll walk in Your truth.
You will cover me with feathers.
Under Your wings I’ll find refuge.
My Lord’s faithfulness will be my
Comfort and my shield.
The works of His hands are faithful and just.
Trustworthy are all of His precepts.

Your hands have made me, and they have formed me.
Give understanding of Your commands.
I have put my hope, O Lord, in Your word.
Your teachings, O Lord, are righteousness.
Lord, in faithfulness You have
Afflicted me so I may learn of
Your unfailing love and comfort
And Your truthfulness.
You are my husband; You have betrothed me
In love, compassion and faithfulness.

O Lord, You are my God, I’ll exalt You.
In faithfulness You’ve done wondrous things.
You’ve been a refuge for those who’re needy;
A shelter in storms; shade from the heat.
This is the Lord, we trusted in Him,
Let us be glad and rejoice
In His salvation which He
Provided through the Lamb.
Open the blind eyes; free all the captives.
Tell them of Jesus: “Be born again!”


No comments: