Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

His Arm Works Salvation


Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 9:27 a.m. – The Lord had gotten me up at 4:00 a.m., and he had put the song “Jesus, Lead Me” in my mind. I read Isaiah 63-64, but I was struggling to understand the message he had for me. I spent some time in prayer, got a little more sleep, and then the Lord Jesus put this song in my mind:

Fairest Lord Jesus / Schonster Herr Jesu / Joseph Seiss / Schlesische Volkslieder

Fairest Lord Jesus, Ruler of all nature,
 O Thou of God and man the Son,
 Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor,
 Thou, my soul’s glory, joy and crown.

Fair are the meadows, fairer still the woodlands,
 Robed in the blooming garb of spring;
 Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,
 Who makes the woeful heart to sing.

All fairest beauty, heavenly and earthly,
 Wondrously, Jesus, is found in Thee;
 None can be nearer, fairer or dearer,
 Than Thou, my Savior, art to me.

Beautiful Savior! Lord of all the nations!
 Son of God and Son of Man!
 Glory and honor, praise, adoration,
 Now and forever more be Thine.

Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Isaiah 63-64 again, and this time it began to gel in my mind and heart.

Red Garments - Quoting 63:1-6 (NIV 1984):

Who is this coming from Edom,
    from Bozrah, with his garments stained crimson?
Who is this, robed in splendor,
    striding forward in the greatness of his strength?

“It is I, speaking in righteousness,
    mighty to save.”

Why are your garments red,
    like those of one treading the winepress?

“I have trodden the winepress alone;
    from the nations no one was with me.
I trampled them in my anger
    and trod them down in my wrath;
their blood spattered my garments,
    and I stained all my clothing.
For the day of vengeance was in my heart,
    and the year of my redemption has come.
I looked, but there was no one to help,
    I was appalled that no one gave support;
so my own arm worked salvation for me,
    and my own wrath sustained me.
I trampled the nations in my anger;
    in my wrath I made them drunk
    and poured their blood on the ground.”

In vv. 1-6 we have a picture of Jesus Christ both as Judge and as Savior. This is a common theme throughout the book of Isaiah. God uses his judgments against the nations and against his own people in order to bring them to Christ or back to God, so his arm of judgment also works salvation for the people and revival for his church.

The judgments of God on Babylon the Great in Revelation 14 & 19 are reminiscent of these judgments of God described here in Isaiah 63, as both use the terminology of a winepress of God’s wrath. Chapter 5 of Revelation is also reminiscent of v. 5 in Isaiah 63 where Jesus is speaking, and he says that he looked, but there was no one to help, he was appalled that no one gave support, so his own arm worked salvation for him. In Rev. 5 Jesus is the only one worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because he was slain, and with his blood he purchased mankind for God. The seals represent God’s judgments on mankind and on the earth.

The Lord’s Kindnesses – Quoting 63:7-10 (NIV 1984):

I will tell of the kindnesses of the Lord,
    the deeds for which he is to be praised,
    according to all the Lord has done for us—
yes, the many good things he has done
    for the house of Israel,
    according to his compassion and many kindnesses.
He said, “Surely they are my people,
    sons who will not be false to me”;
    and so he became their Savior.
In all their distress he too was distressed,
    and the angel of his presence saved them.
In his love and mercy he redeemed them;
    he lifted them up and carried them
    all the days of old.
Yet they rebelled
    and grieved his Holy Spirit.
So he turned and became their enemy
    and he himself fought against them.

While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. He took the sins of the entire world upon him when he died on that cross so that when he died our sins would die with him, and when he was buried, our sins would be buried with him, and when he rose from the grave triumphant over death, hell, Satan and sin our sins would forever remain in the grave. He did this because he loves us so much! He died so that we might live forever with God in glory. He died so that we would be free from slavery to sin day-to-day and so that daily we could walk with our Lord in humility, obedience and submission and surrender to his will for our lives.

Not only did he die so we would be free, but he came to earth, was born as a baby, took on human flesh, suffered as we suffer and was tempted as we are tempted, yet without sin. He suffered the pain of rejection, hatred, envy, criticism, false accusations, mockery, chastisement, beatings, carrying his cross to the hill to be crucified, hanging on the cross to die, being misunderstood and abandoned by his closest companions and betrayed to death by one of them. He went through all of this so he could become our compassionate and merciful high priest who sympathizes with us in our weaknesses and who has opened the way for us to boldly approach the throne of God to help us in our time of need.

We come to faith in Jesus Christ by God’s grace toward us which gives us the ability to repent of our sins and to walk in obedience to Jesus Christ. Jesus said that if anyone would come after him, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily (die daily to sin and self) and follow (obey) him (see Luke 9:23-25). Paul, the Spirit speaking through him, said that the way we come to know Christ is by forsaking (dying to; putting off) our old lives of sin, by being transformed (of the Spirit) in heart and mind, and by putting on our new selves in Christ Jesus, “created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.” This is not optional. This is required, i.e. repentance and obedience (not perfection) are faith’s requirements for salvation, i.e. this is what it means to truly believe in Jesus Christ.

Yet They Rebelled

Yet, it is possible for those who have once made a decision to accept Jesus’ invitation to salvation and eternal life to get caught up in the things and cares of this world, to allow sin to creep back in to their lives, to permit self to consume what was once given over to the Lord, and for God to thus take a back seat or to fade completely out of the picture of their lives. They are those who have rebelled against God and have grieved his Holy Spirit. So he has turned and has become their enemy and he himself will fight against them.

In Revelation 2-3 we have recorded seven letters to seven churches, which I believe represent the various relationships the people of God have with their Maker even today. Yet, I also believe the church in Laodicea represents the complacent church of these last days, in particular in America, and that God is still speaking these same messages to his church throughout the world today. To five of these churches our Lord gave words of rebuke, called for repentance and renewed faith, and warned of judgment should they fail to repent. I believe the Lord today gave me a picture of his treading the winepress as parallel to his words spoken in Revelation 2-3, as recorded in red (the color of blood). And, I believe he gave me a picture of the “state of our nation” as parallel to the whole of the book of Revelation.

In other words, I believe there is a mixture in our nation of those who are truly following Jesus Christ, and those who profess his name but their hearts are far from him. Yet, I believe the majority of professing Christians in America fit into the five congregations in Rev 2-3 which received encouragement (all but one) as well as rebuke from our Lord, calls to repentance, and warnings of judgment if they do not repent.

The church overall in America is on a spiritual decline, the gospel has been diluted and a false grace is being taught in place of repentance and obedience to Christ and to his commands. Church “worship” services have become centers of good, clean religious entertainment, and the words of Christ are being substituted with the teachings of men. The church is being marketed just like big business, and that often leads to manipulation, lies and deception. So, Jesus will judge his rebellious people, his arm working salvation for his church and for the lost. This is one of the main themes of the book of Isaiah.

Jesus, Lead Me / An Original Work / July 22, 2011

Jesus, lead me all the way.
Be my hope and be my stay.
Gently lead me where I should go,
So Your Spirit, I want to know.
Open up my heart to You.
Fill me with Your love and truth.
Make my heart want to obey.
Be my Lord today. Gently lead always.

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Cleanse my heart, and make me whole;
Be transformed in my heart today,
As I turn from my sin and pray.
Make Your will known to my heart.
May I not from You depart.
How I long to hear You now,
As I humbly bow. Jesus, hear me now.

No comments: