Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Walk in Freedom


Thursday, January 10, 2013, 5:03 a.m. – the Lord Jesus woke me with the song “I Will Lift My Eyes” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Psalm 119:41-48 (NIV 1984):

May your unfailing love come to me, O Lord,
    your salvation according to your promise;
then I will answer the one who taunts me,
    for I trust in your word.
Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth,
    for I have put my hope in your laws.
I will always obey your law,
    for ever and ever.
I will walk about in freedom,
    for I have sought out your precepts.
I will speak of your statutes before kings
    and will not be put to shame,
for I delight in your commands
    because I love them.
I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love,
    and I meditate on your decrees.

God’s Love

The psalmist prayed for God’s unfailing love to come to him; for his salvation, according to God’s promise. We learn in scripture that “God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). That is the crux of the gospel. In Romans 5:8 we read: “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” And, in Eph. 2:3-5 we read this about God’s love: “All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.” Amen!

Jesus Christ, God the Son, came to earth, took on human flesh, was born as a baby, suffered as we suffer, was tempted as we are tempted, yet without sin, and he was hung on a cross to die a cruel death, although he had done no wrong. When he died, our sins died with him, and when he was buried in the tomb, our sins were buried with him, but when he rose from the grave, he rose triumphantly over hell, Satan, death and our sin. Amen! Jesus Christ gave his blood on the cross so that we could go free from the ultimate penalty of sin (eternal damnation), so we could be free from slavery to sin, and so we could be free to walk daily in obedience to Christ and to his commands in sweet fellowship with our Lord.

My Freedom

The psalmist said he would walk about in freedom, for he sought out God’s precepts. We hear often that Jesus Christ came to set us free. Yet, what does that mean for us in all practicality? How can what Christ did for us be appropriated to our lives individually?

In Romans 6:6-7 we read: “For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.” So, if we want to be free in Christ Jesus, our old self has to die, and that will result in us no longer being slaves to (under the control of) sin. Jesus said: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?” Again, we must die daily to sin and self if we want to walk in freedom. And, we must follow our Lord Jesus Christ in obedience to his will for our lives (cf. Eph. 4).

Not only do we die so we can be free from slavery to sin, but we die to our old way of living according to self and sin so that we can become slaves to righteousness. And, this is very important that we understand this: “When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness” (Ro. 6:20). We can’t serve two masters. If we claim to have fellowship with God and yet we still walk in darkness (sin), we are liars says 1 John 1:6. We can’t be under the control of righteousness, and walk in faith, love and purity of heart if we are still under the control of sin. So, if we want to experience true freedom in Christ Jesus, our Lord, we must willingly die to (relinquish; abrogate) our old ways of living according to our fleshly desires, and we must follow our Lord in obedience. The benefit we reap from this complete change of heart and mind leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life (see Ro. 6:22).

His Word

The psalmist said he trusted in God’s word, that he would walk about in freedom because he sought out God’s statutes (his word), and that he delighted in God’s commands. When we believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, by God’s grace and through faith in (repentance and obedience to) Jesus Christ, we begin to develop a relationship with God just like we would a new friend or a new companion. The Lord speaks to us in many ways, but the two primary ways in which he speaks to us is through his word and through his Holy Spirit who has now come to live within us who obey Christ (see Acts 5:32; Heb. 5:9). So, it is essential for our spiritual growth and our walk in freedom with our Lord that we are daily in his word, feeding on him, drinking in its truth, and that we obey fully what we are taught. As well, it is also essential that we spend time in prayer each day, talking with our Lord, sharing with him what is on our hearts, confessing our sins, giving thanks and praise to God, and bringing our requests to him - talking with him, listening to him, and then obeying him.

My Testimony

The psalmist prayed that God’s word would not be snatched from his mouth, and he declared that he would speak of God’s statutes before kings and would not be put to shame, for he delighted in God’s commands. Awesome! Paul, in Rom. 1:16 said: “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.” As well, Paul encouraged Timothy to not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, but to join with him in suffering for the gospel (see 2 Tim. 1:8). And, in 1 Pet. 4:16 we are encouraged to not be ashamed to suffer as a Christian, but to praise God that we bear that name. Amen!

Another very important aspect of our walk in freedom is giving testimony of God’s saving grace to other people. We are the light of the world, so we should let our light (Jesus Christ; his gospel; our salvation; the truth of God’s word) shine before men (see Matt 5:13-16), and we should not hide that light in order to be accepted by people. Also, Jesus Christ commissioned us, his disciples, to make disciples (of Christ) of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to obey all that Christ Jesus has commanded us (see Matt. 28:19-20). And, he told his disciples that they would receive power after the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they would be Christ’s witnesses throughout the world (see Acts 1:8).

We now receive the Holy Spirit of God within us when we come to faith in Jesus Christ, and thus we should be Christ’s witnesses, and we should be making disciples for Christ, teaching them to obey Christ’s commandments. We should not allow the words of God to be snatched from our lips, but we should continually be speaking forth the gospel of Jesus Christ and telling others of his great love and his salvation.

My Praise

The psalmist said he would lift up his hands to God’s commands, which he loved, and he would meditate on all God’s decrees. Oh, that we would all love the word of the Lord in this way!

Can we honestly say that we love God’s commands and that we lift our hands and hearts in praise to God for the truths of his word, and mean it? What we truly love and what we treasure most will be evident by what we give our time, attention, devotion, heart, emotion, commitment, and service to. If we say we love God’s word and we lift our hands in praise to our Lord for his commandments and yet we barely even open our Bibles to see what he says, and we don’t obey the truths which we read, then it is false praise and a false confession of love of God’s holy word.

The psalmist said he delighted in God’s commands. Do we? He trusted (believed in; put his hope in) God’s word. Do we truly? Or, do we trust more in men’s wisdom and our own resources? He said he always obeyed God’s law. Do we? – Not with absolute perfection, but is it our goal, and do we purpose in all that we do to obey all that God teaches us? The psalmist said he sought out God’s precepts. Do we truly seek God’s word in such a way as to desire to know his will for our lives and then to do it? And, he said he would speak of God’s statutes before kings. Do we speak the truths of God’s word to others?

When we seek out God’s truths; when we put our trust in his word instead of in men or in our own resources and intellect; when we speak of his statutes even to those in positions of power, rule and authority; and when we delight in, love, praise, and obey God’s commands, then this is true freedom, and this is true praise!

I Will Lift My Eyes / An Original Work / December 12, 2012

Based off Psalms 121-125

I will lift my eyes
To my Lord Most High.
My help comes from Him,
Who saved me from sin.
He will not let your foot slip, and
He who watches will not sleep.
Our Lord watches over you, and
Your life He will keep.           
I will lift my eyes
To my Lord Most High.
My help comes from Him,
Who saved me from sin.
I give thanks to Him.

I will lift my eyes
To my God in heav’n.
I look to the Lord.
My sins, He’s forgiv’n.
Because of His great love for us,
He made us alive with Christ.
Through the kindness of our Savior,
He gave us new life.
I will lift my eyes
To my God in heav’n.
I look to the Lord.
My sins, He’s forgiv’n.
My home now in heav’n.

Praise be to the Lord,
Who is on our side.
Our help found in Him.
He gives peace within.
Those who trust will ne’er be shaken.
God will supply all we need.
Our Lord has done great things for us.
He’s our friend, indeed!
Praise be to the Lord,
Who is on our side.
Our help found in Him.
He gives peace within.
I can count on Him.


No comments: