Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Taking a Stand


Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 6:58 a.m. – The Lord woke me this morning with the song “He Gives Purpose” playing in my mind. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I read Acts 25-26 (quoting vv. 15-32 NIV 1984):

“Then I asked, ‘Who are you, Lord?’

“‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,’ the Lord replied. ‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you. I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’

“So then, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the vision from heaven. First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and to the Gentiles also, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds. That is why the Jews seized me in the temple courts and tried to kill me. But I have had God’s help to this very day, and so I stand here and testify to small and great alike. I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen — that the Christ would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead, would proclaim light to his own people and to the Gentiles.”

At this point Festus interrupted Paul’s defense. “You are out of your mind, Paul!” he shouted. “Your great learning is driving you insane.”

“I am not insane, most excellent Festus,” Paul replied. “What I am saying is true and reasonable. The king is familiar with these things, and I can speak freely to him. I am convinced that none of this has escaped his notice, because it was not done in a corner. King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do.”

Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?”

Paul replied, “Short time or long—I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.”

The king rose, and with him the governor and Bernice and those sitting with them. They left the room, and while talking with one another, they said, “This man is not doing anything that deserves death or imprisonment.”

Agrippa said to Festus, “This man could have been set free if he had not appealed to Caesar.”

Trial before Festus

Paul had stood trial before Felix two years prior. Felix kept Paul under guard for two years, sending for him frequently, hoping Paul would offer him a bribe. On at least one of these occasions, Paul “discoursed on righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come,” Luke said. Yet, when these two years had passed, Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus. Luke said: “Because Felix wanted to grant a favor to the Jews, he left Paul in prison.”

It was just three days after Festus had arrived in the province that he went to Jerusalem. “The chief priests and Jewish leaders appeared before him and presented the charges against Paul.” They asked Festus to have Paul transferred to Jerusalem, because they were still planning to ambush him on the way (even after two years). Wow! Can you imagine how much hatred it takes to hold a grudge that long? Then, Festus invited some of the Jewish leaders to come with him to Caesarea and to press their charges against Paul there, “If he has done anything wrong,” said Festus.

As soon as I wrote the sentence about their hatred, the Lord put this song in mind: https://sites.google.com/site/psalmshymnssongs2/home/songs/the-heart-of-man  

When Paul appeared before Festus, the Jews from Jerusalem brought “many serious charges against him, which they could not prove,” Luke said. Paul declared his innocence against the charges. Festus asked him if he was willing to go to Jerusalem to stand trial before him there. After a brief defense on his own behalf, Paul then appealed to Caesar. Festus declared, “You have appealed to Caesar. To Caesar you will go!”

Paul before Agrippa

King Agrippa and Bernice arrived in Caesarea. Festus discussed Paul’s case with the king. Agrippa asked to hear Paul. He said to Paul, “You have permission to speak for yourself.” Then Paul shared his testimony of his previous life as a Pharisee and a persecutor and murderer of followers of Jesus Christ and of how he met Jesus on the road to Damascus. He shared how Jesus spoke to him, and how he said, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” Paul told then of how he replied, “Who are you, Lord?” and how Jesus thus responded to him with his commission, which then brings us to today’s passage (quoted above).

As soon as I wrote this last sentence, the Lord put the song “Seek the Lord” in my mind: https://sites.google.com/site/psalmshymnssongs2/home/songs/seek-the-lord

The Commission

“‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,’ the Lord replied. ‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you. I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’

You know, the words Jesus spoke here to Paul are not all that different from what he has spoken to all of his disciples (followers of Christ). Jesus said we would all be his witnesses when we receive the Holy Spirit. For us, this now happens at conversion. He told us that we are to go and to make disciples of all nations… teaching them to obey all Christ Jesus commanded us. We are all encouraged to turn people from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins, too. James 5:19-20 says this:

“My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.”

The problem for us is not that we don’t know this. The problem is in the doing. Jesus told Paul to “Get up.” And, Jesus is saying that to many of us today, too. We just need to get off our fannies and we need to be about doing what we know God has called all of us to do, instead of just sitting around waiting for lightning to strike us.

He also told Paul to stand on his feet. To stand means to take a stance, endure, persist, be consistent, or “to remain valid, effective, sound, durable, or unaltered; to hold to a particular course or direction; to refuse to compromise; to oppose or resist change (see the freedictionary.com). Jesus/God is looking for his followers to get up and to stand up (to be upright) and to be about the work to which he has called every one of us to do.

In the writing of this paragraph, the Lord brought to mind the song “I’m Not Ashamed”:

The commission given to Paul is a synopsis of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The preaching of the gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit opens spiritually blinded eyes to see their sinful condition, to convict them of sin, of the need for them to repent (to turn from their sins), and of their need to turn to faith and obedience to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. It is a heart transformation of the Holy Spirit of God that turns a life from sin’s dark ways and from the power and control of Satan and sin over our daily lives, so that we can be forgiven, and so we can be purified and made holy (righteous and set apart) unto God and unto his service (cf. Ephesians 4:17-24).

Paul’s Stand and Ours

Paul did get up, and he did stand on his feet, and he took that stand for Jesus Christ and for the gospel of Jesus Christ against great opposition and enormous suffering and persecution. He stood strong before kings and rulers and priests and religious leaders alike. He was not disobedient to Jesus Christ and to the commission he was given, even though life, from a human perspective, did not go all that great for him. He had been where his persecutors were, and so I think he must have possessed some level of compassion (but not compromise) toward them and hoped that, through his testimony, they might also see the error of their ways and be changed in heart and mind as he had been. I also believe that Paul, having been a persecutor of Christians, was ever the more so determined in heart and mind to share the gospel in spite of the strong persecution he faced.

Even when Paul was accused of being insane, he did not let that discourage or dishearten him, but he answered back with a clear mind that what he was saying was not insane, but was true and reasonable. None of what Paul did was in a corner. Everything (his witnessing and preaching of the gospel) was done out in the open for everyone to see. And, then he challenged the king on the basis of the king’s own belief in the prophets. The king replied:

“Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?”

Paul’s hope was not only that the king would come to know Jesus Christ personally, but that all who were listening to him speak would also become followers of Jesus Christ.

And, that is my hope today; too, that anyone reading this, who has not yet surrendered his life and will to Jesus Christ, will do so today. My hope is also that all those who have trusted in Jesus Christ as Savior, but who have been sitting on the stands waiting for lightning to strike, or who are too wrapped up in their own lives to hear from and obey God, will get off their bottoms, will take a stand for Jesus Christ and for the gospel, and will be about the work of sharing with people how they can be changed in heart and mind in turning from sin, and in turning to walk in faithful obedience to Jesus Christ, so they can have new lives for eternity with God.

He Gives Purpose / An Original Work / June 9, 2012

“Listen to Me when I’m calling to you.
Obey freely My word.
Follow Me in all of My ways.
Do all that I say.
Hear Me gently whisper to you
My will for your life and future.
Give all of your life and heart to
Follow Me always.”

Repent of your sins and worship Jesus.
He’s your Lord and Master.
He died for your sins so you could
Live with Him today.
He has a plan for your life and
He gives purpose and direction.
He gives meaning to your life,
So follow Him today.

“I love you so much I gave My life for
You to walk in My ways,
Living for Me each day as you
Bow to Me and pray.
Witness for Me of your love for Me and
Of My grace and mercy,
How I died to save you of your
Sins now and always.”

No comments: