Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Not Our Home


Psalm 119:17-24 ESV

Deal bountifully with your servant,
    that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may behold
    wondrous things out of your law.
I am a sojourner on the earth;
    hide not your commandments from me!
My soul is consumed with longing
    for your rules at all times.
You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones,
    who wander from your commandments.
Take away from me scorn and contempt,
    for I have kept your testimonies.
Even though princes sit plotting against me,
    your servant will meditate on your statutes.
Your testimonies are my delight;
    they are my counselors.

Computer Technology

We are all going to have enemies in this world. As followers of Jesus, Satan is our enemy, and he has many who are working for him and against us, too. And, their goal is to trick, to deceive, to defraud, to manipulate, to confuse, and to attempt to instill fear within the hearts of those who have put their faith and trust in the Lord Jesus.

One of the ways they may do this is via technology. For, many of us are not computer geeks, and thus we must often depend on others who have more knowledge of how things work to assist us with setting things up or with fixing errors. And, Windows 10, for example, puts all kinds of things on our computers which we don’t ask for and we don’t know how they work.

In my opinion, this operating system seems much more intrusive than others before it. But, if we are going to use computers for what we do, then we are somewhat dependent on them to do our work, and so we are also subject to whatever they put on our systems, and to whatever things are oftentimes running in the background, too, of which we are totally unaware.

So, we just have to trust God and pray for wisdom, and believe him for our security. For, there is just so much over which we have no control.

For example, I sent an email to someone this morning and it attached a downloadable document to what I sent that I did not send. Someone cloned one of our telephones the other day and made phone calls from it, causing our account to be suspended. I had no control over any of this. But, God is still on the throne. He is still in control, so I put my hope in him.

Sojourners on the earth

A sojourner is a stranger, a visitor, a guest, an alien, a foreigner, i.e. someone who is just visiting a place, but for him or her, this place is not his or her permanent home.

That is how I feel when I am using my own computer. I am a stranger on here, not knowing the ins and outs of how things work, and not in control of most of it. I am just being allowed to use it, for a time, to do the work the Lord has given me to do.

And so it is for us who believe in Jesus to be Lord and Savior of our lives. We are just guests on the earth, put here by God for a season to fulfill his purposes, but this world is not our home. Heaven is our home. We are just here temporarily. And, this is one of the reasons the Bible often talks with us about not becoming attached to the things of this world which are just passing away, but how we need to cling to God and to His Word.

Also, scripture teaches us that we are not to love this world. We are to love the people in this world, but not the things of this world. They are not to be what we live for. They are not to be our obsession. We are not to put our dependency in the things of this life, for they are all going to pass away. And, we are definitely not to prefer or be partakers in the lusts of the flesh, the lusts of the eyes, and the pride of life, which are all part of this world.

Thus, we should not feel at home on this earth, and those who are of this world should not love us as their own, too, but they should hate us, reject us, persecute and despise us for our walks of faith with Jesus Christ.

We will meditate

So, what are we to do when things go crazy and when our enemies defraud us? We are to call on God in our suffering, and we are to draw near to him, and we are to trust him with our lives and with our circumstances, for he is still God, and he is still in control, absolutely sovereign over all things.

We must also get into God’s Word and let his Word speak to our hearts, for here we learn how to respond to difficult and confusing circumstances. And, here in God’s Word we gain understanding, and we learn to put our trust in the Lord in all things. Here we learn of God’s faithfulness to us, that he will not leave or forsake us, but that he will see us through every difficulty.

Here in God’s Word we receive his counsel, too. And, his counsel to us is often to not be afraid, but to trust him. And, it is to lean on him for our support, and to believe that he is watching over us, and that he has allowed difficult circumstances in our lives to fulfill his purposes in our lives.

And, in God’s Word we are given direction regarding what way we are to go, and regarding what God would have us do, and how we should respond to our difficult circumstances. And, we are told much to put our lives in God’s hands, and to trust him even when we can’t trust other humans or technology or other circumstances over which we have no control.

Psalm 119:25-32 ESV

My soul clings to the dust;
    give me life according to your word!
When I told of my ways, you answered me;
    teach me your statutes!
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
    and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;
    strengthen me according to your word!
Put false ways far from me
    and graciously teach me your law!
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
    I set your rules before me.
I cling to your testimonies, O Lord;
    let me not be put to shame!
I will run in the way of your commandments
    when you enlarge my heart!

When we go through difficult circumstances, and our enemies are advancing hard against us, and things happen to us over which we have no control, it can be troubling to our minds and hearts. And, so we need to pray for guidance, for wisdom, and for the peace of God to rule our hearts.

We definitely need understanding from God in these times, although we are not going to understand everything, i.e. we won’t know why this happened or that happened or even how it happened. Some things are just going to remain a mystery, and we just have to accept that. We can’t solve every puzzle, although I would like to. I hate loose ends.

But, this is where trust comes into play. This is where we have to trust God even when we don’t understand it all, and even when we can’t tie up those loose ends and make sense of it all. And, we just have to pour our hearts out to God, cry it out to him, and let him heal us in our minds and hearts.

All we can do is just keep following our Lord, walking in his ways and in his truth, leaving those things which are out of our control to God. We must rely on his strength and follow his counsel, and do what he says. And, we have to believe that God loves us, that he has allowed these difficulties in our lives, and that he is going to work all things for good for those who love him and who have been called according to his purpose (Rom. 8:28).

Then, we can be at peace and at rest, and our troubled hearts and minds will be renewed with the strength of the Lord and with his joy and peace. Amen!

His Tender Mercies

An Original Work / January 26, 2014

Fear not! I’m with you.
Be not dismayed!
God watches o’er you.
Trust Him today.
He’ll lead and guide you;
Give you His aid.
He’ll love and keep you
With Him always.

Walk in His footsteps.
He’ll lead the way.
Trust in His love;
Believe that He cares.
He will not leave you.
Faithful He’ll be.
His tender mercies
Now you will see.

Fellowship with Him
Throughout the day.
Tell Him your heartaches.
He’ll heal always.
Rest in His comfort.
He is your friend.
Your faith He’ll strengthen,
True to the end.


Sunday, July 21, 2019

No comments: