Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Sunday, May 13, 2018

My Lord, My Confidence


The Lord Is
Psalm 27:1-3 NIV

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?

When the wicked advance against me
    to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes
    who will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
    even then I will be confident.

Jesus Christ, God the Son, is my Lord and my Savior. My life is in him, and he is living in me in the person of his Holy Spirit.

When I was a young child I trusted in him to save me from my sins and to come into my life, to live inside of me. He lifted me out of the depths of my sin and he gave me new life in him, to be lived for him. That was about 60 years ago.

But, our salvation is not a one-time experience, and then we exist, and then one day we go to heaven to be with our Lord. Our salvation is progressive. It is a process of sanctification, of being made holy, of being conformed to the likeness of Christ, and of putting off the deeds of the flesh, and of putting on Christ and his righteousness.

Fear was something I battled a lot in my life, first as a child with an abusive father and then as an adult with an abusive and lust addicted husband. But, these situations in my life are what drew me close to the Lord in complete dependency on him. I didn’t always respond to those fears in the right way, but God always brought me back around to him and to the correct responses of trusting him with my life despite my circumstances.

I have learned over and over again to rest in the Lord, to find my all sufficiency in Him, to trust him fully with my life, to believe in his sovereignty over my life, and to know that he is fully in control over all things and that nothing can thwart his purposes. He will accomplish his will in my life no matter what goes on all around me, over which I have no control. So, I never should be afraid of what others might do, or of what might happen to me, but daily I put my life in God’s hands.

Above My Enemies
Psalm 27:4-6 NIV

One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
    and set me high upon a rock.

Then my head will be exalted
    above the enemies who surround me;
at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy;
    I will sing and make music to the Lord.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I can be assured of eternal life with him and that heaven is my eternal home. But, this is not assured to everyone who professes faith in Jesus Christ. Scripture teaches that we must walk according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh, if we want a guarantee of eternal life with God. We reap what we sow, in other words. If we sow to the flesh, we will from the flesh reap corruption, but if we sow to please the Spirit, from the Spirit we will reap eternal life.

Now, this is not saying we will never sin, or even that we could not stray from our pure devotion to Christ, for a period of time, and be brought back, for scripture indicates that both of these are possible. But, if we profess faith in Christ, but our lifestyles, from beginning to end, are lived to the flesh, and not to the Spirit, then we don’t have eternal life with God. It all has to do with our walks, not with our talk. Faith is as it does, not as it says only.

When we are walking in this close communion with our Lord, then, in daily fellowship with him, forsaking our sins, putting on Christ, and doing what he says to do and say and be, then our confidence is in him. And, we can be secure in him and in his promises to us.

He may not necessarily keep us safe from harm from enemies, though, but he will deliver us from all fears of what our enemies plot against us, and he will set us free from discouragement and hopelessness. And, he will strengthen us and help us to remain strong in him despite what others do or say, and despite all evil plots against us.

So, even if all hell is breaking loose all around us, we can remain confident in our Lord and sing songs of praise to him, and by that, our enemy will be defeated.

Seek His Face!
Psalm 27:7-12 NIV

Hear my voice when I call, Lord;
    be merciful to me and answer me.
My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”
    Your face, Lord, I will seek.
Do not hide your face from me,
    do not turn your servant away in anger;
    you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
    God my Savior.
Though my father and mother forsake me,
    the Lord will receive me.
Teach me your way, Lord;
    lead me in a straight path
    because of my oppressors.
Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
    for false witnesses rise up against me,
    spouting malicious accusations.

When we are in Christ, by faith in him, and we are walking in his love, in his power, and according to his Spirit, we can be confident of his help to us in living the Christian life and in not giving way to fear. Our Lord, too, will never leave us or forsake us. Although humans will desert us, reject and persecute us, our Lord will not. He will always be there for us, to help us through any and every situation which may come our way.

Our Lord will always be faithful in all that he does and says, so we can always depend on him, no matter what. He will lead us and guide us in the way that he would have us to go, even when it seems everything or many things are fighting against that. For, he has absolute control and authority over all human authority, and he can move mountains, if necessary, in order to accomplish his purposes.

Although our Lord does not promise us that we will never have to suffer for righteousness’ sake, or that we won’t have to go through the things he was put through on this earth, he does promise to be with us and to carry us through everything which he allows in our lives. The main thing I know that I can be confident in is in his sovereignty, and that whatever happens to me he will see me through it all, and that he will give me all I need to endure.

Confident of This
Psalm 27:13-14 NIV

I remain confident of this:
    I will see the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
    be strong and take heart
    and wait for the Lord.

While life on this earth has its troubles, hardships, heartaches and persecutions, we can remain confident in our relationships with our Lord and of our eternal life with him and that one day we will be with him forever.

We can also remain confident that God is working all things for good for those who love him, who obey him, and who are called according to his purposes.

So, when difficulties come our way, and the enemy is fiercely attacking, and we are tempted to fear others or what they may do to us or our circumstances, we can rest assured that God has a plan and a purpose for it all, and that he will use it all to bring glory to his name and to make us into the people of God he wants us to be, for his praise.

So, although we may not yet be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, we can know that it is there. So, we wait on our Lord, we don’t let discouragement set in or give way to fear, but we trust him, we obey him, and then we believe him to work it all out according to his plan.

Your Lord is With You
An Original Work / August 14, 2016

Based off Various Scriptures

Fear not for your Lord is with you.
He will not leave you, nor will He abandon you.
When you walk through valleys of life’s rough ways,
You must fear no evil, for God is near.
Be of courage, then, and be not dismayed,
For your Lord is with you throughout your days.
Fear not for your Lord is with you.
He will not leave you, nor will He abandon you.

Trust Him with your life and witness.
He’ll go before you, and He will prepare the way.
The Lord is our helper, so we’ll not fear.
He will strengthen us. He sees all our tears.
Do not be afraid, but to God do pray,
And the peace of God will be yours today.
Trust Him with your life and witness.
He’ll go before you, and He will prepare the way.

My God, He is my Rock and my Shield
And the Horn of my salvation, whom I praise.
He reached down from heaven and rescued me;
Drew me out of waters so deep I’d sink.
My God turned my darkness into His light;
Opened up my blinded eyes, gave me sight.
My God, He is my Rock and my Shield
And the Horn of my salvation, whom I praise.


Sunday, May 13, 2018, 8:30 a.m. – Thank you, Jesus, for these encouraging words and these great reminders of your love for us, and of your sovereignty over our lives. We never have reason to fear, for you are always near.

No comments: