Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Dependence on God


Are you weary? Are you troubled over any circumstances in your life? Is your heart heavy over any of life’s situations? Are you being ill-treated? Abused? Rejected? Hated? Persecuted for righteousness’ sake? Do the troubles in your life seem to outnumber the hairs on your head? If so, there is hope!

Rest in God
Psalm 62:1-2 NIV

Truly my soul finds rest in God;
    my salvation comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

We can do nothing, in many cases, about the difficulties of our lives, if they come to us from sources other than from ourselves. We have absolutely no control over other people and what they do or don’t do, unless they are under our authority, and even then, our hands may be tied, at times. And, worrying and fretting over these situations never changes anything, either.

So, if we are followers of Jesus Christ, we learn to take our burdens to the Lord and to lay them at his feet. And, we learn to rest in him and to not fret. Even if we feel fear, which we sometimes will, we give it over to the Lord, and we let him fill our hearts with his peace.

We must know, though, that fear is one of Satan’s greatest tactics against us, and he doesn’t give up easily, so we have to make this our regular practice to recognize when we are feeling fear, and then to immediately take our fears to the Lord in prayer and to hand them over to him, and to keep handing them over to him, and then to keep turning our hearts to him in prayer and in resting in him. And, it is there that we will find peace.

They Delight in Lies
Psalm 62:3-4 NIV

How long will you assault me?
    Would all of you throw me down—
    this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
Surely they intend to topple me
    from my lofty place;
    they take delight in lies.
With their mouths they bless,
    but in their hearts they curse.

We, as human beings, will always have enemies. We will always have people who won’t like us, for whatever reason, and who will hate and persecute us. Yet, as followers of Jesus Christ, Satan is our real enemy, because he is God’s enemy, so he will come against us to try to defeat us, and he will use other human beings to try to bring us down, too.

One of Satan’s biggest weapons against us is lies. He whispers lies into our ears or into our minds on a regular basis, so we need to get to know his lies, and his evil tactics he uses against us, so that we can combat them with the armor of God with which God has supplied us to fight off our enemy.

We have to remember here that Satan disguises himself as an angel of light and his servants masquerade themselves as servants of righteousness. So, their lies may be very subtle and may be mixed in with the truth. So, what they say may sound like truth. It may sound good to our ears. So, we need to pray for much discernment so that we don’t get trapped by their lies.

He is My Rock
Psalm 62:5-8 NIV

Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
    my hope comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
    he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, you people;
    pour out your hearts to him,
    for God is our refuge.

If we want to have victory over fear or worry, or if we want wisdom from God regarding our circumstances, or if we want to have discernment so that we do not fall into a web of deceit, and get tricked into believing lies, then we need to be grounded in the Word of God. But, this is not about head knowledge. This is about heart knowledge. We must not only know what the Word teaches us, but we must be ones who put the Word into practice.

Yet, if we want to be those who know the truth, and who practice the truth, then we need to, by the Spirit of God, be putting to death the deeds of the flesh in our lives, as our regular practice. We can’t live in two worlds at the same time, in other words. We can’t be giving the devil a foothold in our lives because we are dabbling in things we know are wrong for us, and then wonder why we don’t have victory. We have to put off the old in order to put on the new. The old has to die for the new, in Christ, to be able to thrive.

In other words, Jesus has to be the Lord of our lives. If we are still walking in the flesh, regularly giving in to the evil desires of the flesh, playing with sin, toying with temptation, and if we are not willing to yield to the Lordship of Christ in our lives, then we will go through life just spinning our wheels and going nowhere. Jesus has to be our Rock, our solid foundation. And, our trust has to be wholly in him, and our hearts yielded to him, if we are going to walk in victory over darkness and live in the light of truth.

His Unfailing Love
Psalm 62:11-12 NIV

One thing God has spoken,
    two things I have heard:
“Power belongs to you, God,
    and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”;
and, “You reward everyone
    according to what they have done.”

Oh, how I love my Lord! I am so thankful for his love, his grace, and his mercy towards me. I am so thankful, too, for his salvation from slavery to sin so that I can walk in freedom, and so that sin no longer has mastery over my life. I am grateful, as well, that I do not have to walk this life alone, but that he is there with me, and within me, helping, guiding, counseling, loving, encouraging and strengthening me all the way. I could not do this without him! My dependency is wholly in him to make it through each day.

Knowing that God is completely sovereign over every aspect of my life gives me peace. Knowing that he is totally in control, and that nothing can come against me unless God allows it, and he allows it for a purpose, gives me calm assurance that the difficulties I face are not without reason, and that God is going to work his will in my heart through it all. If I did not know this, I could not endure what all I have gone through. I know that fully well.

What I know is that God is love, but that love also means that he works things together for good in my life. It also means that he allows me to go through trials and tribulations, for through them he works good in my heart and in my life. Through life’s difficulties, when I rest in the Lord, and I trust in his sovereignty, and I yield to his Lordship, he grows me in my faith, he teaches me perseverance, and he conforms me to his likeness. He fills my heart with compassion for others who are hurting. And, He makes me into the person he wants me to be to be used of him for his kingdom work.

Jesus, Lead Me  
An Original Work / July 22, 2011

Jesus, lead me all the way.
Be my hope and be my stay.
Gently lead me where I should go,
So Your Spirit, I want to know.
Open up my heart to You.
Fill me with Your love and truth.
Make my heart want to obey.
Be my Lord today. Gently lead always.

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Cleanse my heart, and make me whole;
Be transformed in my heart today,
As I turn from my sin and pray.
Make Your will known to my heart.
May I not from You depart.
How I long to hear You now,
As I humbly bow. Jesus, hear me now.


Tuesday, March 27, 2018, 7:00 a.m. – Thank you, Jesus, for these encouraging words of hope and healing today. I love you, my Lord!

No comments: