Habakkuk 2

Then the Lord replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

Friday, June 22, 2018

Forever and Always


My Help
Psalm 121:1-2 NIV

I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

In this life we will have trouble, heartache, and distress. Friends and family members will die, or they will leave us or desert us in other ways. The church, too, in many cases, will abandon us spiritually, and will not teach the truth of God’s Word or care for our spiritual needs. Or, they will reject us because we do not fit with their worldly marketing schemes and plans.

Some (or all) of our country’s leaders, too, will abandon us in that they will lie to us, and will attempt to trick us and deceive us for their evil purposes. They will do evil and then blame others for what they have done, while they try to convince us that they are the good guys, and that we should trust them that they are looking out for our good.

Basically, humans will fail us, they will abandon us, reject us and mistreat us, though not all humans, thank the Lord. There are godly people out there, too, who will come alongside us to encourage, strengthen and support us in our walks of faith, and I thank God for them, too! But, they are human, and they may fail us at times, too. So, we should never make humans our gods.

And, sometimes we will fail ourselves, too, and we won’t always have just the right words at just the right moments, or we won’t respond to our circumstances with all the grace of God, as we had hoped we would. Or we will find that we grow weak and tired and get discouraged, and we wish we were stronger than that all the time.

But, whatever the situation in our lives, God is still on the throne. Amen! He is still completely sovereign over all that he has made. For those of us who have put our trust and hope in the Lord Jesus Christ, he will never leave us or abandon us. We can depend on him and on his strength. And, he will help us through any and every challenge that we come up against in this life.

We just have to learn to look to him for our help and not let the troubles of this life get us down. We have to rely on his strength and wisdom, and believe that he is working out all things for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose (Rom. 8:28).

He Watches Over Us
Psalm 121:3-4 NIV

He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.

When we trust in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives, we die with Christ to sin that we might live with Christ to righteousness. Thus, we are delivered from our bondage to sin that we might walk in freedom from sin’s control, and in freedom to live godly and holy lives in the power of God now living within us in the person of the Holy Spirit. And, that is awesome!

Jesus does not stop us from sinning, if we choose to sin against him, but he provided the way out from underneath the power of sin over our lives. By the grace of God, we can say “No” to ungodliness and worldly (fleshly) passions (lusts) and we can live self-controlled, godly and upright lives while we wait for Jesus Christ, when he returns for us, his bride. Amen!

Our Shade
Psalm 121:5-6 NIV

The Lord watches over you—
    the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.

Jesus Christ and his salvation, which he provided for us, is our shield and our protection against temptation to sin and the devil’s schemes against us. He is also our covering of protection when Satan wants to harm us, in his attempts to destroy us. The Lord may or may not protect us from physical harm or from emotional suffering, but he will protect us spiritually from its ill effects on our lives and on our hearts and minds.

Because our God is completely in control over all that he has made, and over every power and authority in the heavens or on the earth, nothing can touch us unless God allows it. And, he will use it in our lives to draw us closer to him, so that we rely on him and not on ourselves, and so we learn to find our strength and our hope in him, and in him alone.

Trials and tribulations should drive us to call on our Lord, and through them we should be strengthened in our faith, and we should walk even closer to our Lord, in daily fellowship with him, greater than we had before, leaning on him for the strength to make it through each and every day.

Now and Forever
Psalm 121:7-8 NIV

The Lord will keep you from all harm—
    he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
    both now and forevermore.

Again, the Lord may or may not protect us from physical harm or emotional suffering, but he will keep our minds and hearts safe from the ill effects of such pain and suffering. Knowing that we have Jesus on our side, walking with us every step of the way, and that he is in complete control over everything, we can rest in the Lord and rejoice in him even in the direst of circumstances.

It brings me great comfort to know that my Lord is watching over my life, and that he has a plan and a purpose in mind for everything which he allows to come into my life, and for what he is going to do in me and through me because of what I went through. I know that He is with me every step of the way, and that he will strengthen and help me, and he will counsel me in the way that I should go, and he will provide for my every need. I just need to trust him completely with my life, and always follow wherever He leads.

Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken  
Henry F. Lyte / Mozart/ Arr. Hubert P. Main

Jesus, I my cross have taken, all to leave and follow Thee;
Destitute, despised, forsaken, Thou from hence my all shall be.
Perish every fond ambition, all I’ve sought or hoped or known;
Yet how rich is my condition! God and heav’n are still mine own.

Let the world despise and leave me, they have left my Savior, too;
Human hearts and looks deceive me; Thou art not, like them, untrue.
And while Thou shalt smile upon me, God of wisdom, love and might,
Foes may hate and friends disown me, show Thy face and all is bright.

Go, then, earthly fame and treasure! Come, disaster, scorn and pain!
In Thy service pain is pleasure; with Thy favor, loss is gain.
I have called Thee, “Abba, Father”; I have set my heart on Thee:
Storms may howl, and clouds may gather, all must work for good to me.

Man may trouble and distress me, ’twill but drive me to Thy breast;
Life with trials hard may press me; heav’n will bring me sweeter rest.
Oh, ’tis not in grief to harm me, while Thy love is left to me;
Oh, ’twere not in joy to charm me, were that joy unmixed with Thee.

Haste then on from grace to glory, armed by faith, and winged by prayer,
Heav’n’s eternal day’s before thee, God’s own hand shall guide thee there.
Soon shall close thy earthly mission, swift shall pass thy pilgrim days;
Hope soon change to glad fruition, faith to sight, and prayer to praise.


Friday, June 22, 2018 – Thank You, Jesus, for these encouraging words. Help us, Lord, to always look to You for our help. Amen!

No comments: